Thread: 1989 Shebly CSX-VNT #104

Mitsu booster

1989 Shebly CSX-VNT #104

Date: 29th June 2016
    Username: silverWS6
    Full Name: Edgar
    City, State, Zip: Oklahoma City, OK 73145
    Selling or Wanted Price: $5000

Description: Unfortunately, I have to sell my 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT. It is a GREAT car but I need the room for other projects and I’m planning a move at the end of the year. It’s been my daily driver since Sep of 2015. Since then I’ve focused on making it look good as it was already running good. I’ve since done some maintenance on it and it runs fantastic. Everything works on this beauty! A/C blows nice and cold; trust me I could not be in a car without A/C in this 90 degree/45% humidity weather! Heater and defroster also worked pretty good in winter time. I have receipts for most of the work done on the car, huge binder full of stuff.

This vehicle has been registered on the National Shelby Registry… buyers are highly encouraged to research this vehicle to understand its rarity and significance. There was only 500 of these built, with 2 being prototypes, only 498 available to the general public. This one is #104 and can be verified by the VIN Number and dash plaque.

A little about the car: while common today, this was the first production car with a variable nozzle turbo. The vanes in the turbo vary in geometry so it spools up quickly at low RPM and also provides high boost at high RPM. Car and Driver magazine called it “a high tech hot rod” and “a technological showcase” and were impressed with the engines flexibility and top-gear acceleration. The 1989 Shelby CSX proved to be a true domestic exotic, showcasing technologies not seen in a gasoline application until 2006 by Porsche in their 997.

Engine/Transmission
    2.2L with original VNT Turbo
    A555 Getrag transaxle (5 speed)

Wheels and Tires
    Current Wheels on the car are Moda Wheels with 195/60/15 tires, original sizes. Wheels are plasti-dipped gold to match the appearance of the car, underneath the wheels are black and silver and are in perfect condition. My intentions were to have the wheels powdercoated, the plastidip is/was a temporary use. The aftermarket wheels were placed on the car at 95k miles to preserve the original Fiberide wheels. I have the original Fiberide wheels also, in great condition!

Condition, Upgrades, Maintenance
    FWD Performance ECM Upgrade, 14.7 PSI calibration
    Underdrive Pulleys
    Greddy Blow Off Valve
    New Fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator at 95,600 miles
    New sparkplugs, wires, rotor and car at 96,300
    New Motor Mounts at 95,000
    New clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, rear main seal at 88,383 miles
    New struts and shocks at 88,500 miles
    New brake pads and front calipers at 95,000
    New door seals and hatch seal
    New Passenger side CV Joint at 96,900
    Rebuilt wiper linkage
    A/C system completely rebuilt in 2013
    New JVC Head unit and all 4 speakers also upgraded

Still needs a attention
    Spare tire wheel well has rust from leaky hatch seal (seal replaced)
    Paint fade for a 26 yr old car, worst is the roof
    Fabric on rear seat has a bad spot
    Window Sweeps are dry rotted (I have window sweeps)
    Recently discovered a small pinhole sized hole on the radiator by the cap

Things I have for the car
    Original Fiberide wheels and lugs
    Original ECM
    Original Underdrive pulleys
    Original Headunit and Air Box
    Three Volume Service Manuals
    Shelby Service Manual
    New set of CSX decals
    Car Cover
    Owner’s Manual
    Window Sweep Replacement Kit
    Replacement weather stripping
    ALL Original sales paperwork
    Original Spare wheel and tire
    Several magazines from 1989-1990 with Shelby CSX articles

Most of us here understand how rare this car is, I encourage everyone to research this car. This one is in excellent shape and has all the CSX badges intact. Please take a close look at the pictures and let me know if you have any questions. I am willing to drive a couple hours to meet a serious buyer. I’m asking $5,000 OBO, I don’t think there are other CSX-VNT’s For Sale at this time so feel free to talk to me about price. I’m not entirely sure how to go about pricing but based on previous CSX-VNT sales, I feel that my price is fair for the condition of the vehicle. I'm sure I forgot a couple things, feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited by silverWS6; 06-29-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1989 Shebly CSX-VNT #104

Garrett booster

Have 87 CSX and 88 Daytona Shelby Z for sale. If they sell will be contacting you. Thanks and good luck. Also have cousins in OKC. Steve

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by musqlar55 View Post
    Have 87 CSX and 88 Daytona Shelby Z for sale. If they sell will be contacting you. Thanks and good luck. Also have cousins in OKC. Steve
    Sounds good! Good luck to you too

Mitsu booster

Bump!

Looks like a good deal!!! If I wasn't in the process of restoring my 280Z I'd be thinking about picking this up. GLWS!!!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by JuXsA View Post
    Looks like a good deal!!! If I wasn't in the process of restoring my 280Z I'd be thinking about picking this up. GLWS!!!
    Thanks!

Looks like I'm meeting with an older lady tomorrow evening. She seemed very interested but she mentioned something about her 16 yr old niece... Come on guys, don't make me sell this beauty to a non-enthusiats!

Mitsu booster

Well I met with the lady. She wants the car for herself and she'll give her current car to get granddaughter.

Here is my problem, I'm not sure I want to sell the car to this lady! She is really interested in it and she really likes it but I'm not sure that she'll be able to appreciate the car and everything that comes with it. She said she can meet Saturday with the money.

She's a smoker, asked if she could smoke while test driving... it was hard to not immediately walk away. She said "ohhh it's a Dodge?"

I really don't know what to do...

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Wow... smoke while test drive and its not even her car (yet)? I have a lot of friends who smoke and would never do that. I really don't think that lady would give this the car the care it deserves and would guess it would be a 1 of 500 ashtray before too long. I'm guessing you'll find it a better home. I'd buy it if I had room!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sending this link to a couple people I know shopping... hang in there

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Wow... smoke while test drive and its not even her car (yet)? I have a lot of friends who smoke and would never do that. I really don't think that lady would give this the car the care it deserves and would guess it would be a 1 of 500 ashtray before too long. I'm guessing you'll find it a better home. I'd buy it if I had room!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sending this link to a couple people I know shopping... hang in there
    Thanks! I appreciate it!

I've sold a number of cars... $$$ talks. If she is giving you close to what you are asking i'd sell it if you need the $$$. If you don't need the cash and don't mind keeping it for a good while longer to sell it to the person you want then do that. turbododge guys are cheap bastards so if you are waiting to sell to someone who knows what it is then you might be waiting a while

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Crickey Silver! You've saved this car, your efforts and hours spent bringing it back from the brink of a scrap pile somewhere have impressed more than just me here I am a firm believer in the free enterprise, you own it and it's yours to do what you will, if she is giving you the asking price well then... But you are already feeling the car slipping back twards the edge that precipice The hours and expense you invested shouldn't be for naught, I want every Shelby Dodge saved and have spent the last 25 years twards that effect. There are no less than a dozen list members here that I've helped find/own/care for these cars for by getting involved. Heck, theres even a couple guys that have been all the way out to my place in Cali more than once to take ownership of a Shelby Dodge that was in need of a proper ownerer You already know what's gonna happen to it between this inconsiderate tobacco user and her niece if they get it from you If you have another choice, please take it Conundrum for sure

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Did my brother contact you yet?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

I've sold a number of cars... $$$ talks. If she is giving you close to what you are asking i'd sell it if you need the $$$. If you don't need the cash and don't mind keeping it for a good while longer to sell it to the person you want then do that. turbododge guys are cheap bastards so if you are waiting to sell to someone who knows what it is then you might be waiting a while
    That's my problem, I could wait a couple weeks but not too long. I really don't want to deal with finding space for 3 cars when I'm moving and settling down again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Crickey Silver! You've saved this car, your efforts and hours spent bringing it back from the brink of a scrap pile somewhere have impressed more than just me here I am a firm believer in the free enterprise, you own it and it's yours to do what you will, if she is giving you the asking price well then... But you are already feeling the car slipping back twards the edge that precipice The hours and expense you invested shouldn't be for naught, I want every Shelby Dodge saved and have spent the last 25 years twards that effect. There are no less than a dozen list members here that I've helped find/own/care for these cars for by getting involved. Heck, theres even a couple guys that have been all the way out to my place in Cali more than once to take ownership of a Shelby Dodge that was in need of a proper ownerer You already know what's gonna happen to it between this inconsiderate tobacco user and her niece if they get it from you If you have another choice, please take it Conundrum for sure
    It does kill me! I have put a lot of work into this car and I know this lady will enjoy and take care of it. Her current car looks taken care off but she won't appreciate it for what it is. I'm pretty she does not care about the original wheels or any of the memorabilia that I have for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Did my brother contact you yet?
    I don't think so? I've had a couple people contact me but most have been locals. One fella was from somewhere out east I think.

Damn the more I see these pictures and think about it the more I wish you were in Memphis so I could get you to meet me in Nashville. I couldn't afford to offer you your asking price but I could do something close. But I'm not going to have you drive 8 hours to Nashville to meet me there and I really don't want to drive any further than Nashville I still think if the lady is going to give you anywhere near your asking price she's the one to sell to

Mitsu booster

Damn the more I see these pictures and think about it the more I wish you were in Memphis so I could get you to meet me in Nashville. I couldn't afford to offer you your asking price but I could do something close. But I'm not going to have you drive 8 hours to Nashville to meet me there and I really don't want to drive any further than Nashville I still think if the lady is going to give you anywhere near your asking price she's the one to sell to
    It'd be more of a 10 hr drive for me with a trailer. I was getting a couple his but since this lady contacted me, I haven't had anymore people contact me! It looks like its be going to her.

Is it shady if I keep the Fiberides and sell those separately? She isn't paying the full price, but it's close. I want to save these for someone that could use them in a build. Instead of letting her let them sit.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Why would you think that is shady? Unless you told her they came with the car.
    If it was close to your asking price, but you would still rather sell to someone here, why not post what you would accept and let the chips fall where they will.

I have no stake in it, but i can tell you would rather sell it to someone who would at least appreciate and take care of it. But if it becomes the difference of selling it and sitting on it, i can understand that.
    I sold a car once i should have kept, a '63 Impala 2dr hardtop. It was low miles, and very original. The guy buying it said he was going to make a lowrider out of it. I really didn't want it to suffer through that sort of fate. But, i needed to sell at the time, and it has always bothered me.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I'd say keep the fiberrides

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

I thought about white fiberrides for the Reliant when I'm not racing the car, think it would look cool.

Working on clearing the decks.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So when I think about the stack of Fiberides that I have sitting in the attic at my shop is goes like this:

Are they lightweight? No, not really, like 2 lbs lighter per wheel than a comparable aluminum.

Are they attractive? In a unique kind of way maybe but realistically, not so much AND they're gold

Easy to find if I need another one or set for the VNT 'someday'? Nope.

Super strong? We've all seen pics of the centers popped outta them when they make contact with a curb or similar.

I think I'll just leave them in the attic in the shop and save them for the someday...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast