Thread: SRT4 EGTs

boostaholic

SRT4 EGTs

I have my SRT4 Daytona up and running with the MS3 Pro. I have been reading a few places that the egts on these engine are higher than that of the 8 valve cars. Im just wondering what temps people are seeing. mine are around 1600 at times but from what I have read 1720 is fine on them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Re: SRT4 EGTs

They are definitely higher. I feel like there are a few 2.4L swappers that probably shat themselves the first time they looked down at the EGT gauge.

I don't know if I'd be ok with 1720, but mine will see just over 1600 on a long incline at highway speed. Typical highway cruise for me is 1525 or so. Mine isn't even a true SRT-4 either: SRT pistons/rods in a 1g Stratus 2.4L, which means no oil squirters and no Inconel valves. Everything's fine at 52k miles.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

boostaholic

Ok that's what I was thinking. I drove over 100 miles today and pulled some long hills. It never went much over 1500 while driving smart. But it did go just over 1600 at 16psi.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Before or after the turbo? Mine is a true SRT4 block/head running MS3 v3.57 w/MS3X and my probe is after the turbo. I see 1300*-1400*. I've heard it's about 200* higher before the turbo. So 1600* seems about right.

Makes sense. I put mine here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...-probe-100756/ Mine's not a Stage 3, but there's a nice flat spot on the regular turbofold in almost exactly the same place.
    Jon J.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Makes sense. I put mine here: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...-probe-100756/ Mine's not a Stage 3, but there's a nice flat spot on the regular turbofold in almost exactly the same place.
    While I'm kinda late to the party, the position in these pictures is just about right. I think for all the original Turbo work we placed the probe 1.5" back from the manifold mounting flange. For T II we had a slighter better alloy exhaust manifold and my limit for the production calibration was 1650F. So 1600 in that location is reasonable. Not remembering the material they used, I would not push it any higher. There were times we'd push it to 1850F, but it warped the manifold.
    Last edited by stuartshomepc; 06-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Stu, you are always welcome to any of these parties! I know the 2.4L turbo information is only a small sub-set of this board, but if you had your hands in that development too, I'd love to hear what your discoveries were.

Good to know that 1600F is a reasonable reference point. It's been rare for me to actually hit that point. Normal highway, I'm about 100F lower.

Of course, after I started driving mine a lot, I wish I did a little more research beforehand and bought a 2000F gauge instead of a 1600F. Even though I know I'm within the limits, there's something unnerving about driving around with one of your most important gauges almost pegged all the time.
    Jon J.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Stu, you are always welcome to any of these parties! I know the 2.4L turbo information is only a small sub-set of this board, but if you had your hands in that development too, I'd love to hear what your discoveries were.

Good to know that 1600F is a reasonable reference point. It's been rare for me to actually hit that point. Normal highway, I'm about 100F lower.

Of course, after I started driving mine a lot, I wish I did a little more research beforehand and bought a 2000F gauge instead of a 1600F. Even though I know I'm within the limits, there's something unnerving about driving around with one of your most important gauges almost pegged all the time.

The 1650 degree Exhaust Gas Temps were on a LONG steady state on the dyno at WOT for several minutes. And we just had a room fan blowing ambient air (about 110 degrees) over the turbo. I would expect more "real world" cooling of the turbo if you were pushing the car that hard. We had a better material for the exhaust manifold that would tolerate 1850F, and I exploited the heck out of that. Of course it was more expensive so it got dropped to the standard alloy and the lower temperatures of 1650. But that would be an "All day" tolerant point, Excursions 100 to 150 degrees over that would not hurt anything. They wanted 100,000 mile durability. If you can live with less that, you can exceed the "Production" limits. All of my performance cal's for years would hit 1800F for short periods. No one ever had a problem with durability of turbine issues.

And the 2.4L Turbo was a "can of worms" as new people had "Processes" and did not want my input. They ran WAY TOO RICH and I tried to tech them the better way to calibrate at WOT, but one engineer actually said "That's the OLD WAY, we have process driven calibrations and metrics". So they didn't want to know anything about what we did for about 10 years. And then the cars went to Europe and the Autobahn where they were driven at WOT for extended periods, with LOTS of complaints on low fuel economy. They had to re-calibrate "leaner" but their "Process and Metrics" said that they had "optimized the calibration. They were wrong. I again tried to help and some of it sunk in. I had hoped for better program execution. One of the dyno engineers took me to one of their group meetings and told me to sit quietly.

As they got to Charge Air Coolers, he asked "Did you guys ever hear about Stu Davis and the work he did?". One guy said "Yes, but he's gone". My buddy looked at them and said "let me introduce you to Stuart Davis sitting right next to me!". He had helped me with the final calibration of the Turbo II and Turbo Methanol (Alcohol) programs so he knew "enough" to challenge them. I think he threw the word "bonehead" in the conversation as we reviewed their plan. But the guys working the 2.4L turbo took their own path, ignoring the successes and failures of the past.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by stuartshomepc View Post
    The 1650 degree Exhaust Gas Temps were on a LONG steady state on the dyno at WOT for several minutes. And we just had a room fan blowing ambient air (about 110 degrees) over the turbo. I would expect more "real world" cooling of the turbo if you were pushing the car that hard. We had a better material for the exhaust manifold that would tolerate 1850F, and I exploited the heck out of that. Of course it was more expensive so it got dropped to the standard alloy and the lower temperatures of 1650. But that would be an "All day" tolerant point, Excursions 100 to 150 degrees over that would not hurt anything. They wanted 100,000 mile durability. If you can live with less that, you can exceed the "Production" limits. All of my performance cal's for years would hit 1800F for short periods. No one ever had a problem with durability of turbine issues.

And the 2.4L Turbo was a "can of worms" as new people had "Processes" and did not want my input. They ran WAY TOO RICH and I tried to tech them the better way to calibrate at WOT, but one engineer actually said "That's the OLD WAY, we have process driven calibrations and metrics". So they didn't want to know anything about what we did for about 10 years. And then the cars went to Europe and the Autobahn where they were driven at WOT for extended periods, with LOTS of complaints on low fuel economy. They had to re-calibrate "leaner" but their "Process and Metrics" said that they had "optimized the calibration. They were wrong. I again tried to help and some of it sunk in. I had hoped for better program execution. One of the dyno engineers took me to one of their group meetings and told me to sit quietly.

As they got to Charge Air Coolers, he asked "Did you guys ever hear about Stu Davis and the work he did?". One guy said "Yes, but he's gone". My buddy looked at them and said "let me introduce you to Stuart Davis sitting right next to me!". He had helped me with the final calibration of the Turbo II and Turbo Methanol (Alcohol) programs so he knew "enough" to challenge them. I think he threw the word "bonehead" in the conversation as we reviewed their plan. But the guys working the 2.4L turbo took their own path, ignoring the successes and failures of the past.
    Seems "engineering by committee" isn't limited to aerospace...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stuartshomepc View Post
    ...and Turbo Methanol (Alcohol) programs...
    HOLD THE PHONE THERE TEX!!! Here's something that has my undivided attention! I'm more than a little curious about this program, as I am very aware of the potential...

Can we bribe you into divulging some history here?...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke