Thread: Crow mod!

turbo addict

Crow mod!

Anyone notice that Chiefs engine setup doesn't have a intercooler? I heard Chief mention that his fuel is Alky, I assume that is the reason? I am curious!

Re: Crow mod!

No intercooler. No radiator either. Alcohol burns extremely cool.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    No intercooler. No radiator either. Alcohol burns extremely cool.
    Your right about no radiator as well!

turbo addict

It would be interesting to have some good data on charge temp reduction for intercooler vs. inline alky injection and no intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    It would be interesting to have some good data on charge temp reduction for intercooler vs. inline alky injection and no intercooler.
    I'm sure it's out there. So many run alky injection kits, I'm sure there is charge temp data documented somewhere. Of course the trick to using alky for cooling purposes with a traditional pump driven alky kit is it creates a variable for fueling that is difficult to control.

turbo addict

I'm sure it's out there. So many run alky injection kits, I'm sure there is charge temp data documented somewhere. Of course the trick to using alky for cooling purposes with a traditional pump driven alky kit is it creates a variable for fueling that is difficult to control.
    I'm going to search this topic. I had an alky injection kit and was using straight alky. I calculated I was injecting enough alky to support 150HP so I took that into account! Seemed to work really well!

I does work, I just don't think ta the cleanest way to do it. Let's say you have an m8 nozzle and a pump pressure of 75 psi and it turns on at 8 psi manifold pressure. By the time manifold pressure gets to 30 psi, the effective ally pressure at the nozzle has dropped by 22 psi (pressure differential at the nozzle). The other component is that at a given nozzle size and pressure at the nozzle, you get the same flow of alky at 4500 rpm as you do at 7000 rpm.

The other issue is that with stick cars, on a shift, the alky pressure bleeds down alky as the pump spins down. This leads to an over rich condition as soon as you get back in the throttle after the shift. At least with our cars, I've seen a number of alky injected cars that make a ton of dyno power but can't put down a good et. i think this is a big reason why.

It will work, but you can make more power and have a more consistent fuel curve with a more precise fueling system.

turbo addict

I does work, I just don't think ta the cleanest way to do it. Let's say you have an m8 nozzle and a pump pressure of 75 psi and it turns on at 8 psi manifold pressure. By the time manifold pressure gets to 30 psi, the effective ally pressure at the nozzle has dropped by 22 psi (pressure differential at the nozzle). The other component is that at a given nozzle size and pressure at the nozzle, you get the same flow of alky at 4500 rpm as you do at 7000 rpm.

The other issue is that with stick cars, on a shift, the alky pressure bleeds down alky as the pump spins down. This leads to an over rich condition as soon as you get back in the throttle after the shift. At least with our cars, I've seen a number of alky injected cars that make a ton of dyno power but can't put down a good et. i think this is a big reason why.

It will work, but you can make more power and have a more consistent fuel curve with a more precise fueling system.
    I agree, you make valid points. My setup was progressive, and I ran an auto trans.

Looking at my post, I need to stop posting from my phone! :-)

turbo addict

Looking at my post, I need to stop posting from my phone! :-)
    I have to edit posts quite often and I am not on a phone! LOL

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

The gain of using an intercooler with straight methanol as fuel is sometimes not enough to warrant the added weight and complexity of an intercooler.
    However, there is a big difference between adding a small alcohol injection nozzle to a gasoline engine, and running straight methanol for fuel. I think there is still a great advantage to running an intercooler on a gasoline turbo engine.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The gain of using an intercooler with straight methanol as fuel is sometimes not enough to warrant the added weight and complexity of an intercooler.
    However, there is a big difference between adding a small alcohol injection nozzle to a gasoline engine, and running straight methanol for fuel. I think there is still a great advantage to running an intercooler on a gasoline turbo engine.
    Good point! That is why I would love to see some good data on temp drops and such! I am doing some searching!

turbo addict

Subbing. Interested as well.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Never had this over rich issue with 34 gallons per hour. Quite the opposite. Knock is more likely at peak torque so even the rpm complaint is actually a good thing. Last, progressive Co trailer as mentioned above resolves boost vs jet pressure complaint.

Lack of intercooler on alky is old news. Some even skip it on e85. No pressure drop.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56