Thread: Which Power Brake Booster?

Which Power Brake Booster?

Have my '88 Shadow ES apart as I set it up for drag week. Noticed that it looks like the master cylinder has been leaking for quite sometime from where the MC mates to the booster. Likely going to replace both while the car is apart.

Looking at RockAuto, it appears that there are multiple booster options. Single diaphragm, dual diaphragm, different ones listed for auto vs manual, etc. The car has had 11" brakes all around since '04 but I'm nearly positive that it is the original brake booster to the car.

Suggestions or recommendations welcome. Thanks!

Pat
    Last edited by Pat; 06-20-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Which Power Brake Booster?

The auto booster is larger diameter.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    The auto booster is larger diameter.
    Without measurements that I can find, it's difficult to match what I have. From the pics on RockAuto, it looks like the auto one is the deeper one where the manual one listed is more shallow (closer to firewall). My car is an original stick car, but it looks to me that the booster on it is the deeper one.

turbo addict

I had two 87 shelby z's

both were built in april of 87

one was a grey t top car with the flat booster - the other was a red sunroof car .. built with the duel diafram booster - looks more like a drum

the red car was built later in the month than the grey one .. so I've always figured maybe the booster was a running hange over dureing april of 87

other than L bodies I can't say I've seen the flat single diafram booster in any car newer than april 87 (myself- other's may differ)

turbo addict

I should have added the boosters are interchangeable - I swaped the duel diafram booster into both my grey 87 and my old 86 turbo z

as long as you have enough space in front of the master cylinder to allow it to move forwards on the thicker booster it will work - which is probably why I haven't seen the duel diafram booster in an L body as the master cylinder would interfear with the intake hose running from the pm/smec to the air cleaner

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Without measurements that I can find, it's difficult to match what I have. From the pics on RockAuto, it looks like the auto one is the deeper one where the manual one listed is more shallow (closer to firewall). My car is an original stick car, but it looks to me that the booster on it is the deeper one.
    Pat, I just checked both my 87 Sundance T1 and CSX and they are both the deeper one at approx 6" deep and 8" in diameter
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Pat, I just checked both my 87 Sundance T1 and CSX and they are both the deeper one at approx 6" deep and 8" in diameter
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Measurements on the one in the car as well as the one that was in my '90 Shadow are about the same. I'm going to order a dual diaphragm and see what I end up with. Will keep everyone posted for future reference.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

as long as you have enough space in front of the master cylinder to allow it to move forwards on the thicker booster it will work - which is probably why I haven't seen the duel diafram booster in an L body as the master cylinder would interfear with the intake hose running from the pm/smec to the air cleaner
    Which would not be much of an issue for me (within reason) and why I'm considering the swap. The Charger has always required somewhat heavy foot pressure, but something is terribly wrong now. Either the booster or the master cylinder are shot; I have to really stand on it to stop the car, and there's almost no pedal movement at all.

Sorry to hijack.