Thread: Masi pistons on TII rods

Garrett booster

Masi pistons on TII rods

I've heard that with the right bushings, you can utilize TII rods with factory Masi pistons. Can any one verify, or dispute? Looking to transitions to a standard cast/forged TII crank and if I can avoid custom rods, that would be nice.

turbo addict

Re: Masi pistons on TII rods

Quote Originally Posted by MPI_duster View Post
    I've heard that with the right bushings, you can utilize TII rods with factory Masi pistons. Can any one verify, or dispute? Looking to transitions to a standard cast/forged TII crank and if I can avoid custom rods, that would be nice.
    What you heard or read is correct; however prepping TII rods with better rod bolts and re-bushing small end to accept .866 pin you will have at least $200-$250 into them. You might consider buying Brian Crower SRT-4 Sportman H-beam rods. Stock # is BC6169. Do a little searchin and they can be bought for as little as $352 shipped. They are NEW not 30 years old, stronger, have better ARP cap screws (bolts), are machined and balanced dead on, better small end oiling, and are 100g lighter on avg. than a TII rod! I've bought four sets so far and every one has been dead on as far as machining and weight. Note you must use SRT rod bearing and not 2.2 rod bearing with these rods. Big end, and length are the same as 2.2/2.5 and small end is .866 (same as Masi pin).
    If those aren't good enough for you, there are even stouter rod options available.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

^Yeah, I think I'm gonna have you put Pauter's in the 2l motor

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    What you heard or read is correct; however prepping TII rods with better rod bolts and re-bushing small end to accept .866 pin you will have at least $200-$250 into them. You might consider buying Brian Crower SRT-4 Sportman H-beam rods. Stock # is BC6169. Do a little searchin and they can be bought for as little as $352 shipped. They are NEW not 30 years old, stronger, have better ARP cap screws (bolts), are machined and balanced dead on, better small end oiling, and are 100g lighter on avg. than a TII rod! I've bought four sets so far and every one has been dead on as far as machining and weight. Note you must use SRT rod bearing and not 2.2 rod bearing with these rods. Big end, and length are the same as 2.2/2.5 and small end is .866 (same as Masi pin).
    If those aren't good enough for you, there are even stouter rod options available.
    Todd
    Great information, THank you!