Thread: '86 glhs #144

turbo addict

'86 glhs #144

This will be a slow moving project. Gonna do everything properly and there's a TON of things to do.

First the backstory since it's still fresh in my mind.
    My good friend Steve (GLHS231) from Omaha gave me a call a couple weeks back telling me of a GLHS that's now for sale and I should look at it and buy it. He knew of the car back when it was only a couple years old and the seller & he went back at least that far buying, selling & trading old Mopars a few of which I'm sure they wish they would have kept. 'Go ahead & call him right now!' he said. 'It's well after 10 going on 11 at night' I replied. 'Call him anyway, I just got off the phone with him a minute before I called you, he's still up' Steve countered. I kicked it around in my head for a couple minutes, figured why not and called, left a message. We quit playing phone tag the next day over lunch; me sizing up what kind of shape the car is in and he sized me up as what kind of owner I would be. Last thing he wanted was some random hooligan to get it, thrash it and let it go further into disrepair or worse. The asking price seemed more than fair, and I've wanted another GLHS for quite some time.

Turns out this guy is the second owner of the car, bought it out of Iowa in the late 80s. Had fun with it, plenty of the usual stories of shenanigans on side roads & main drag with the standard 'WTF is that?' reaction from several people. He kept the miles down, sold it to a family member out in Colorado who kept it up, put most of the miles on it along with a Maaco quality paint job. The engine was overheated badly, repaired and come September of 2000 things went south in a hurry ending in a bottom end knock after a bunch of repairs. The car has essentially sat since then. It was brought back to Nebraska at some point and sat outside getting weathered. All said & done, it only has 41k miles it on.

The good things right off the bat before getting elbow deep into the car-
    Rust is minimal, nearly all of it is from the poor respray. Floors, doors, hatch lip, etc. are super clean.
    It has all the Shelby-specific parts aside from the front Konis, even the badge on the valve cover is still there.
    The rims are beautiful, just beautiful. Not concourse perfect but better than 95% of the other 30 year old aluminum rims in this part of the country.
    The door hinges don't sag one bit. The doors close nice & easy and the door handles work amazingly well.
    Basically, where it counts for my skills & abilities to repair things the car is pure.

The bad-
    The interior is thrashed. Sun-baked silver seat fabric tears at the slightest touch and the seat foam is only slightly more resilient.
    One of the kids decided to replace the fuel pump that seized, and removed carpet...and the rear seat....and the fabric from the seat. The gas tank and hangar assembly are still chillin' in the back of the car.
    Headliner is sagging terribly in the center, the fabric is totally gone, the fiberboard is what's sagging.
    Steering wheel & shifter leather is rough at best from the elements.
    It needs a windshield.
    Some reasonably light body work is needed from various dings & dents. Nothing that I'm uncomfortable taking on with guidance from good SDAC friends who do body work.
    The car doesn't want to move. It took 4 adults to push it onto the tow dolly and that was no small feat. There was plenty of cursing while I removed it from the dolly on my own. In the end it took 2 half ton trucks to pull it off.

The basic plan right now is to restore it with a little bit of extra get up & go. MP Stage 2 logic module or similar custom calibration, perhaps a better cam. It will keep the stock exhaust. Anything that's done will be bolt-on only, no cutting the car up.

Now for the pics!

The first time I got to see it, 2 days after Steve called me.

Coming home. The crabs on the back are only there since the rubber on the car was sketchy at best.

Home and after a quick bath at the car wash.

The worst of the rust.

Floors are better than any other L-body I've seen with the carpet out.

Bottoms of the doors are all this pure.

Interior

Undercarriage

Last edited by 86Shelby; 06-16-2016 at 12:17 AM.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Re: '86 glhs #144

The battle with getting the car off the dolly...ugh I never want to do that again. The plan was to simply put a battery in it, and use the starter to get it off the trailer and into the back yard. The starter didn't have it in it to get it over to 2" hump. I couldn't push it either. So what do ya do?

You tie a wheel to the annoying post near the alley. Set the parking brake and attempt to gently pull the trailer out from under the car like so:

Unless it doesn't roll and you end up with this:

I never liked that pole there anyhow.

Ended up with the car tied to my brother's box Chevy and pulled the dolly out. Sorry no pic, was far too frustrated. I did send this pic to my brother letting him know that it's time to get the Chevy when your Dodge can't do it's own job.

I think something is binding or sticking in the front end. A CV shaft, bound up brake, transmission. Could be something with the rear brakes not releasing fully too, who knows.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

That GLHS is rough!

I hope you didn't pay to much for it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Gonna be a fun project!

Hey Harry, look up the word Douschebag in the urban dictionary why don't you?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Subscribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

In on this one.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    That GLHS is rough!

I hope you didn't pay to much for it.
    I've seen plenty of S cars trade hands for more than double that still needed carpet, seats recovered, floors repaired and a paint job. So no, I didn't pay too much by any stretch. If you're going to spend money to fix up a turbo Omni it may as well be a GLHS.

boostaholic

Fantastic start there. Good luck.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Looks solid to me, it's all just cosmetic. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Congrats. Good bones and all the important parts make it a good buy. Not too expensive to sort out the engine and chassis and then it'll run; then some seat covers . . . and you are a winner
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia