Thread: SBEC chip burning question(s)

SBEC chip burning question(s)

Ok to start off I'm totally new to tuning anything.I understand the basics of it all but when it come to electronic mumbo jumbo I'm totally lost,so you might have to explain it to me like I'm a child so bare with me . So I acquired a FWD SBEC (90-91) that has a socket and chip in it (87C257), the SBEC has a stage4 2.5 tune, I also have a moates burn2 burner. I've down loaded all the programs that I think I need (mptune, mp scan, moates flash and burn) to burn a tune on to the chip,but when i try it doesn't work. I'll step through what I'm doing to try and burn it

Tune is for a 90 shadow 2.2 Turbo setup MTX
    1. Open mptune open a stage2 SBEC 2.2 mtx tune

2. make the changes I want and save

3. open moates flash and burn I changed the hex start and end based on the moates web page

4. With these settings and the chip in the burner it seams to connect. and when I load the tune and program chip it tells me it succeeded

5. Install chip back into sbec and install in car, car runs drives and all that but the obvious changes that I made to the tune are not there for example I set the rev limiter really low and it revs past the number. So it seams like it still has the original tune still installed

So what did i miss ( I'm sure there's lots)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	376 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	58469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	316 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	58470  

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: SBEC chip burning question(s)

If you're compiling the bin file and selecting it to burn to a chip it should work. Have you tried renaming a file and burning the new one?

Not sure what compiling means but yes I tryed renaming the file. I was reading that this chip has to be exposed to uv light to erase it. So can you burn a program over the orginal or do I have to erase it first? Is there a way to erase it with out needing a uv light?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

The chip will need to be erased before you can reprogram. You will need to clean the quartz window prior to erasing. I have read that natural sunlight (outside, not though a window) will work but is very slow. So have reported that an inexpensive germacidal UV lamp works well. I personally use an old purpose designed chip eraser.
    here is a reference to Sunlight erasing
    http://electronics.stackexchange.com...-with-sunlight

Remember to care of the ESD on the chip as well.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead153 View Post
    Not sure what compiling means but yes I tryed renaming the file. I was reading that this chip has to be exposed to uv light to erase it. So can you burn a program over the orginal or do I have to erase it first? Is there a way to erase it with out needing a uv light?
    when you have a cal template open there is a menu option called compile. you need to compile the template into a ".bin" file. that is what is then burned on to the chip. mptune supports the burn2 directly so you should not need to use the moates software. just make sure it is plugged in when you start mptune and it shows up in the bottom left corner of the screen on the status line. when you have compiled your template you can then press the flash button ("lightning bolt") and it will ask you for the .bin file created above.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Thanks for the link that helps.

ESD? Are you referring to electrostatic sensitive device? ( I had to look it up lol ) what should I watch for so I don't fry it?

turbo addict

I use these http://www.boostbutton.com/store/chi...tch-board.html so I can use flashable Chips (can erase with the burner not uv) and then when I get the tune I want I burn the UV one to leave in there for the long haul.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I use these http://www.boostbutton.com/store/chi...tch-board.html so I can use flashable Chips (can erase with the burner not uv) and then when I get the tune I want I burn the UV one to leave in there for the long haul.

Oh nice! So I'm guessing that plugs into the socket on the sbec? And which chip do you plug into it?

turbo addict

The 27SF512 same one the SMEC uses

turbo addict

I buy them on eBay in a pack of 5 or 10 you can get them pretty cheap still,

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead153 View Post
    Thanks for the link that helps.

ESD? Are you referring to electrostatic sensitive device? ( I had to look it up lol ) what should I watch for so I don't fry it?
    generally touch a ground point before you touch the chip. place them on a piece of aluminum foil so that a charge does not build up. Don't pat the dog or cat before you touch the chip. The high voltage can burn through the thin oxide layer rendering the chip toast. I use an antistatic station as my cat loves to watch me work on electronics. a cheap antistatic strap for ebay works OK, get a wired one. The wireless ones are a scam and do NOT work.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH