Thread: 1988 CSXT code 52

Garrett booster

Question 1988 CSXT code 52

Hey everyone.

My car is a 1988 CSX-T. Recently my check engine light has been coming on for code 52.

Fault Code 52

Synopsis

Description: Oxygen sensor output indicates rich too long
    Power loss light: Off
    Limp-in mode: Engine allowed to run rich, but prevented from running lean

Possible Causes

Bad oxygen sensor - Replace the sensor which is located on the turbo housing near the down pipe (for turbo) or on the down pipe near the exhaust manifold.Bad connection or wiring - Check the wiring and connections between the sensor and the logic module (or SMEC). Clean and regrease any corroded connectors with dielectric grease and repair any shorts. Look for melted wire insulation near the exhaust manifold. A shorted connection to any positive source will cause this fault code.
    High fuel rail pressure - See the Diagnosing Your Fuel System page.

Diagnostic Method

Trigger Parameters

- In closed-loop
    - Sensor output indicates rich for more than 715 seconds (11 minutes, 55 seconds)

Results If Component Fails

A fault code 52 is stored, the circuit stays in closed-loop, and the logic module will still monitor the oxygen sensor signal. If the condition persists for four times what it took to set the code, the logic module will allow the engine to run rich, but prevent it from running lean.

So far I've changed the 3 wire o2 sensor with a NGK brand from Cindy.

Using a fluke meter we checked the three wires from the o2 sensor and at the SMEC to the appropriate connector pins and my wiring is fine. We got a buzz for all three wires at either end.

And finally we used a fuel pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and my psi was at 48-55ish while the vacuum line to the FPR was unplugged. Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago with a walbro 255.
    I thought the pump was causing the rich symptom but doesn't the FPR regulate that?

I am stumped here and open to any suggestions. Thank you

Re: 1988 CSXT code 52

Is the car running rich? Can you verify with a narrow or wideband? After something is replaced, you can remove power to the SMEC for 30 seconds or some length of time or after a certain number of successful starts the code will clear, I think.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Put it on a scanner if you can and see what the O2 sensor is actually reading.
    If it's an old sensor, it may be shot and need to be replaced. I had a similar issue on my GLH, the O2 sensor was bad and the code went away with the new sensor.

Check the wires too. 1988 used a three wire sensor, two for signal and one for ground.

Garrett booster

[QUOTE=ajakeski;1108832]Put it on a scanner if you can and see what the O2 sensor is actually reading.
    If it's an old sensor, it may be shot and need to be replaced. I had a similar issue on my GLH, the O2 sensor was bad and the code went away with the new sensor.

Check the wires too. 1988 used a three wire sensor, two for signal and one for ground.[/QUOTE

I will check it with a scanner. As for the other suggestion, as I originally posted I've checked those so far. thanks

Minigts,

Are you suggesting I unplug the battery to reset the computer?

Using a multimeter, you can backprobe the wires on the O2 and read the voltage while the car is running. It should read between 0.1 and 0.9 volts and oscillate between those readings when warm.

Yes, try clearing the codes with a power cycle. But if you can or have, what is the narrow band or wide band reading? I would confirm via a gauge if possible to know the extent of the rich condition.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Leaking injector?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Leaking injector?

We will check the voltage using the multimeter. As for the extent of the rich condition I don't have a wide band. How about a leaky injector? How can I tell if they are leaking or not. I also notice a blue smoke from the tailpipe after the car is idling for a minute or so and I take off. Not sure if that's an unrelated issue or not.

Thanks everyone!

Here's how you test for a leaking injector:

Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail connector.
    Start the car and run it for a few minutes to get the fuel system under pressure.
    Shut it down and clamp off the fuel feed and return lines.
    Watch the fuel pressure gauge to see if the pressure drops. If it does, it's most likely a leaking injector.

You can also pull the plugs and look for one that's wet. That would be the cylinder with the leaking injector.

Pull the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is fuel in the hose. I just has this happen on my van. I was going to change injectore assuming one was leaking. When I removed the FPR vacuum hose, it was full of fuel. The FPR was leaking and allowing aditional fuel to be pulled into the vacuum hose and eventually the intake manifold.

Blue smoke is usually oil burning it could also be a sign of too much fuel. If your plugs are coked up with carbon, your getting oil in the cumbustion chambers. That could mean you have a leaking valve cover and an inake manifold leak allowing oil to be drawn into the intake charge. I've see this happen a few times.
    You could have bad valave seals too.

If the plugs are clean, oil may be leaking inside the turbo and burning in the exhaust.
    Last edited by ajakeski; 06-06-2016 at 05:32 PM.