Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracking flex plate consensus........Cheapo TQ converters?

Re: Cracking flex plate consensus........Cheapo TQ converters?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'll echo this for the 2.4 flexplates. The ATP seemed beefier than stock.
    I chucked my ATP flex plate in my lathe to check for straightness and run-out; it was more concentric than a stocker, and only took 12.5 grams to balance it to perfection.
    I believe if ATP would spend the money to pay for the SFI certification it would pass the tests......The one I got anyway, maybe I got lucky and just happened to get a good one. I don't know where they are made????
    Last edited by Warren Stramer; 06-01-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Quote Originally Posted by lightbulb010 View Post
    First post on TM. My STOCK flexplate(87' a670) cracked only after repeated engine removal and destroyed my 3spd pump. New flexplate from advance worked for me. Get rid of your old worn out junk and get a new flexplate. How hard is it to drill holes these days?(from a manufacturing standpoint) A torque converter is another story. If you have enough power you will tear it(torque converter) up and cause other issues anyway. This thread is about cracking flexplates , however. I have this to say. I have only used the cheapest flexplate from advance in 2012-2013 and it is rock solid. I've broken many other trans parts since installing it. This same flexplate is even going on my new motor FWIW.
    Welcome, and Thanks for posting.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

My 89 spirit cracked the original flex plate at about 250-275,000 miles. Engine and trans were out at about 200-225 to be freshened. Was still using the original TC. Maybe the removal or installation of the trans was off. Who knows. In hind sight for the cost I'd put in a replacement when the trans is out for cheap insurance. Mine looked like the picture posted and still ran and drove fine but would clatter on decel at highway speed.

Garrett booster

I'd also like to add that I had no strange noises or any other signs of failure other than the two bad bad trans pumps in a row(pump gear ate into the stator piece). My flexplate looked just like the picture. It wasn't actually broken all the way through though just cracked. The crack was underneath the washer/spacer piece and I only discovered it after removing the flexplate on a hunch. Flexplate had around 220000 miles according to the incorrect(low) odometer reading. It WAS old and used but I suspect that I ultimately caused the breakage by banging it against the bellhousing during engine removal as the problem arose right after the engine and trans went back together. About 30000 miles since on the same converter and new flexplate. Also make sure your pump bushing is in good shape people.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    I chucked my ATP flex plate in my lathe to check for straightness and run-out; it was more concentric than a stocker, and only took 12.5 grams to balance it to perfection.
    I believe if ATP would spend the money to pay for the SFI certification it would pass the tests......The one I got anyway, maybe I got lucky and just happened to get a good one. I don't know where they are made????
    I ordered 2 off rockauto today

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

First post on TM. My STOCK flexplate(87' a670) cracked only after repeated engine removal and destroyed my 3spd pump. New flexplate from advance worked for me. Get rid of your old worn out junk and get a new flexplate. How hard is it to drill holes these days?(from a manufacturing standpoint) A torque converter is another story. If you have enough power you will tear it(torque converter) up and cause other issues anyway. This thread is about cracking flexplates , however. I have this to say. I have only used the cheapest flexplate from advance in 2012-2013 and it is rock solid. I've broken many other trans parts since installing it. This same flexplate is even going on my new motor FWIW.
    Welcome to the site!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'd also like to add that I had no strange noises or any other signs of failure other than the two bad bad trans pumps in a row(pump gear ate into the stator piece). My flexplate looked just like the picture. It wasn't actually broken all the way through though just cracked. The crack was underneath the washer/spacer piece and I only discovered it after removing the flexplate on a hunch. Flexplate had around 220000 miles according to the incorrect(low) odometer reading. It WAS old and used but I suspect that I ultimately caused the breakage by banging it against the bellhousing during engine removal as the problem arose right after the engine and trans went back together. About 30000 miles since on the same converter and new flexplate. Also make sure your pump bushing is in good shape people.
    I don't think anyone here knows you are breaking transmissions with a supercharged 3.0

SFI plate would be nice. I figured Cox racing would have had one at some point, or boots.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    The ATP brand flex plate I bought is .015 thicker than the factory piece. Good welding on it too. And have it balanced!

ATP part number Z-194
    I received the two I ordered, really nice and definitely thicker

boostaholic

Attachment 58638

Well, that was my problem.....

turbo addict

Invalid attachments can cause all sorts of problems...
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That's funny, it worked for me when it was first posted, but now it doesn't.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Works for me, you can't open it?Attachment 58675

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    Works for me, you can't open it?
    I can't see it.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I don't think anyone here knows you are breaking transmissions with a supercharged 3.0

SFI plate would be nice. I figured Cox racing would have had one at some point, or boots.
    Maybe I should start a thread about the van over here then. She won't be running for a month or so due to my work schedule and other crap I need to get done around here though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12