Thread: Why do I keep finding dead fuel injectors?

boostaholic

Why do I keep finding dead fuel injectors?

So I got my car back together finally last night only to find that the #2 fuel injector was dead. The other three ohmed out at 2.8, this one was like 1.6 Mega ohms. They were all bought brand new two years ago from a vendor, not really run all that much.

Injectors 1 and 2 share a circuit, so I don't think it's a driver problem. Is it just bad luck? Could sitting too long with fuel on them kill the coil? That doesn't make sense as I've seen people use 30 year old injectors right out if a junkyard...

So just bad luck or could something be wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Why do I keep finding dead fuel injectors?

Sounds like bad luck to me. Having 2 injectors on the same driver and only one of them failing seems to rule out of a lot of other possible problems.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Bad luck I van live with. Gives me an excuse to stop buying 52lb injectors and go for some 1000cc jobbers to run e85.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

boostaholic

check grounds. Loose or poor grounds can result in higher current across the injector possibly.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

How? Poor connections increase resistance and decrease current.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Resistance results in lower voltage resulting in higher current across the conductor in this case the injector. Or I'm nuts. Also a possibility.

boostaholic

If that where the case, when the first injector failed open it should have also fried the second injector on the circuit as that one was now getting the total current available on the circuit.

I think I just have a case of bad luck when it comes to this car sometimes.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Vigo is correct. Google "ohm's law"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

A driver could fry injectors. The low Z injectors require current limiting to prevent them from burning up. They use peak and hold drivers, if they keep the driver on the "peak" mode the current can melt down the injectors. A lab scope would show if the driver is in good shape.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Just to bring this back from the dead....I've got another shorted open injector.

When the last one failed I bought a completely new set of 52lb Deka pn4532586, and since then I've switched from an LM/PM setup to a SMEC. Today I went out and found injector #1 had failed.

The fun part is I'm moving on Friday and I don't feel like towing my car. Boo.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Any idea what's killing them. I don't think I've had that many dead injectors in my entire time with these cars. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've had a dead injector yet.

boostaholic

No idea. I haven't gone through the wiring harness yet since all my electrical tools are packed up. This is an entirely different engine harness and ECU setup than the last time though. When I built this harness I inspected everything and made sure it was all in good shape both physically and electrically. The injector harness I built from new parts, and theres no missing grounds.

Now I'm kicking myself for selling the 3 extra I had when I bought this new set.

Now I guess I have three options. Order a new 52 to drop in or something bigger and hope they get here in time, or call Hagerty and see if they'll tow it to the new house and deal with it when I have the new and improved man cave barn garage shop.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Any chance you have something going on with your fuel? Do you use any additives? I know that some injectors seem more prone to be damaged by high ethanol content if they were not intended for E85 use. I believe GM even released a bulletin on ethanol damaging injectors causing resistance changes. I have not seen but a very few bad Dodge injectors in the 30 plus years I have been working on these cars and hardly ever more than one on a single car.

boostaholic

I just run pump gas. 91 or 93, whichever I find at the station I stop at. Around here they say it may have up to 10 percent ethanol in it. Fuel pump and fuel filter aren’t that old, and the tank was clean when I replaced the pump. All the lines are recent. Maybe the rubber inside my SS lines is breaking down, but I didn’t see any evidence of that when I took the rail off.

the only thing I can think of is that it did just sit for a few months over the winter, BUT I had it out and went for like a 3 hour cruise yesterday without a hitch. Today I went to go someplace else, got halfway down the block fine and then it started running on 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    Any chance you have something going on with your fuel? Do you use any additives? I know that some injectors seem more prone to be damaged by high ethanol content if they were not intended for E85 use. I believe GM even released a bulletin on ethanol damaging injectors causing resistance changes. I have not seen but a very few bad Dodge injectors in the 30 plus years I have been working on these cars and hardly ever more than one on a single car.
    - - - Updated - - -

maybe once I get in to the new place I can rip the wiring harness and fuel system out and start over with 850ccs and megasqypuirt or something. For now, this is super annoying