Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 91 Shadow R/T Convertible

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: 91 Shadow R/T Convertible

Can't wait to see some new pics. You are moving along. Keep up the great work, and try not to get discouraged by the challenges!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Here's the suspension getting power washed before sanding/painting/installation (no before shot of rear axle, but it was just as greasy as the front before shot I have below - how on earth that Spirit R/T rusted out with all this oil/grease protection underneath I'll never know...LOL):

I've never seen a K-frame with this color on it. Anyone else ever see one like this? All the ones I've worked on have been black (and not from grease...LOL). I'm not sure what color to go with on it. I was thinking I was going to do black. Suggestions?

I thought I had taken pics of the rear suspension parts as I cleaned/sanded/painted them, but I don't see them on my phone so maybe I didn't? Too much going on lately (more on that later).

Here's some shots of the cleaned up and undercoated underneath of the car:

New fuel lines just before installing:

And here's a shot of the new brake and fuel lines installed:

I'm not super happy with the way the fuel lines came out. I hate the fact that I couldn't get the straight runs of piping "straight", but as the old saying goes: Form follows function. I am confident with the new lines that the car will have many years of properly functioning (and safe) fuel and brake delivery, and that's way more important than the straight runs not being perfectly straight!

I really should have opened up the old tank before I bought the new one. It had some surface rust in a few spots on the outside, so I figured the inside would be shot. I was shocked to see that it looked absolutely perfect inside when I removed the sending unit to transfer to the new tank. Anyone need a used, but good condition p-body tank?

Here's a shot of the new fuel tank assembly right before installation:

Again, I guess I neglected to take pics of the rear end repaint/rebuild, but here's some shots of it installed (new ebrake shoes, new pads, new rotors, new hard and flex lines, repacked bearings and nearly new calipers and koni shocks with stock spirit rt springs):

Next up is installing the new rubber fuel hose connections to the tank and the fuel filter, then the ebrake cable and also get the rear part of the exhaust hung. Then I can move on to the front k-frame.

However, I have to divert my energies this weekend to eradicating a rodent infestation in my garage and trying to clean/fix the damage they've done. I'll post some pics of that later, but lets just say that it ain't pretty and it happened right in front of my eyes!

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160705_144552_428.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	58863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160705_144600_289.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	58864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160705_150246_509.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	58865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_123942_471.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	831.7 KB 
ID:	58866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_123952_816.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	58867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_123728_703.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	58868  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_141521_716.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	58869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160706_143811_517.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	58870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160707_131304_878.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	58871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160707_131312_584.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	874.5 KB 
ID:	58872  

Hybrid booster

So here's some shots of my rodent issue that's sidetracking me at the moment. Here's what my poor SRT6 looked like when I pulled it out of the garage:

The entire dash is filled with acorns and the seats are saturated with urine and blood. I'm going to have to take the entire interior out to clean it right! Luckily it runs and everything seems to work except for the heater/ac blower motor. So I don't think they did any wiring damage (guessing blower motor is just clogged with acorns and rodent nests and frozen up).

So I spent the afternoon cleaning the car up. I cleaned it just enough to make it bearable to pull it in and out of the garage. I figured why waste time doing a thorough detailing until I figure out how to stop the rodents from getting into my garage, but I wanted it clean enough so I could watch for further tracks.

Anyway, after all that fun, I shuttered when thought that I hadn't even looked at the other cars yet. My three #141's are in that same garage...

89 CSX #141: Had some mouse droppings in engine compartment and some blood trails, but nothing at all that I could see inside the car. Whew!
    87 CSX #141: Same as the 89, but a little more blood trails/doppings in engine compartment.
    86 GLHS #141: Aaaaaaaaah!!!! Engine compartment is covered in poo/blood/urine, front seats have poo/urine/blood stains, rear hatch area is filled with acorns, and worst of all, they chewed a hole in the bottom of the mint backseat!

The good news is that they only chewed the corduroy material and not the padding or anything else so I could probably get it repaired pretty easily. The bad news is I don't think you can get that fabric anymore, and I donated the last I had of it to a friends project. I spent the night pulling apart the interior of the car and cleaning everything. I was able to get most of the stains out and with the exception of the chewed spot on the one tile in the bottom rear seat, it would be tough to tell how bad it was.

Then I went on a detective mission. I had to find all spots where they were getting in/out of my garage. I redid the outside of my garage about 5 years ago and had it completely sealed up and haven't had any problems until now. So I was pretty sure I could find the entryways. Following the trails, I could clearly see three distinct places where they lead. The first one was the bottom corner of the entry door frame. I crouched down and sure enough, a dime size hole where I could see light from outside. In went the steel wool soaked in caulk. One entryway plugged! Next was on the left side of one of the garage doors. I could see that the trim at the bottom had separated and there was a half inch gap right at the bottom. It was a little tunnel for them to get in and out of. A couple nails and that one was sealed up! Finally the last one. There was a hole for conduit that runs to a shed near the garage, and that hole was sealed up when I had the siding put on, but the seal failed. I recaulked it and it should be sealed back up. I'm hoping that puts and end to that nightmare!

I'm sure there's still some alive in the garage and I'm not sure what to do about them. I was thinking about leaving a car running in there for a couple hours and gassing them to death, but I'm worried they will rot and stink! But if I leave them in there alive, there's a good chance they'll find a way to chew themselves out and I'll be back to having holes for them to get in/out of that garage again. My other thought was covering the floor with an adhesive so they get stuck as soon as they leave the cars to get food/water. Then I could kill them and toss them out. I know these aren't humane, but I have my limits of how humane I can be towards rodents.

OK - enough sidetracking of this thread. Time to go out and do some work on the convertible so I can get the project and this thread back on track! LOL!

Jon

Name:	IMG_20160707_171308_824.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	774.7 KB 
ID:	58875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160707_171324_730.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	58876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160707_171331_222.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	881.8 KB 
ID:	58877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160707_172201_742.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	58878  

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Dear god what a mess!!

I use snappy traps in the all the garages, the little bastards can get in just about anywhere. I have run a vehicle in the garage to kill any for an hour or so in the past (my shed to be specific) does a great job and you find their dried up carcass in the future.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

About the K-frame color. Yes, I have seen that exclusively on R/T vehicles. I don't know why they are grey, but that's normal for those.

Sucks about the mice. Snap traps, peanut butter, hot dogs, and yes, cheese. You can try the sticky traps and the poison as well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

You have a Mercedes Jon?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    You have a Mercedes Jon?
    Nope - it's now a Mousecedes!

Well, I went with the sticky traps everywhere - I put 20 of them down in various places in the garage yesterday afternoon. I guess I still had rodents present, as I came out to what looked like a scene from a war movie about rodents! Half dead, stuck mice everywhere! Part of me felt happy that I'm ridding my garage of those nasty critters, the other part of me felt guilty for using such an inhumane way to remove them. 9 total last night and I'm going to restock sticky traps again for tonight.

I took pics, but I don't think I'm going to post them. They're really pretty morbid even though we're only talking about mice.

Jon

I've decided the snap traps are actually more humane. They usually get their necks snapped.
    The sticky ones do agreat job of catching them, but then they have to starve to death, or sometimes they will chew off their hand or foot to get out. Often times by then some other part is stuck however.
    Tried a live catch trap once, and the first mouse chewed his way out. So that went right in the trash.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

I have had sticky traps and the mice escaped. Use snappy traps with nothing but peanut butter, pulls them in like a magnet.

Poison traps just lets them die in an inconvenient location and stink up the place till they dry out or you dig them out.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any rodent issues in my garages after I started using one of those sound devices that plug into an outlet. I have mine plugged into an outlet on the ceiling. My garages have been far from sealed up. Hopefully I don't run into anything like this.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

I haven't updated this thread in a while, so I figured I'd post up a progress report.

I took a couple weeks off from the car to deal with the rodent issues (still working on cleaning/repairing all that damage), but last weekend I started putting some time into the Shadow R/T project again. I completed running the new steel fuel lines, by installing new stainless quick disconnects at the tank, a new filter and all new efi high pressure rubber connections. The fuel line was flared for clamps, so from the quick connects at the tank forward, I used all new efi clamps on the new rubber hoses.

This week I cleaned, sanded and painted all of the front suspension and brake components. I also reinstalled the ebrake cables and the heat shields under the car. It's all starting to look pretty sweet if I do say so myself!

I plan to install the exhaust and all the new/refinished front suspension/brake parts onto the car tomorrow morning. Hopefully by noon tomorrow the car will be back on the ground sitting on all four wheels! I'll upload more pics later, but here's a shot of the refinished k-frame and control arms. I went with the bonzai blue body color on the top of the kframe and semi-gloss black on the bottom, and did the control arms in cast metal color.

Name:	IMG_20160727_192102_906.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	842.3 KB 
ID:	59056  
    Last edited by jonnyb; 07-30-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: fixed broken pic

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I hope that pic works tomorrow, er, later today...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

That was weird. It showed that the pic was attached and I could see when I was logged in, but I checked on my phone not logged in and couldn't see the image. I think I fixed it now.

OK - coffee and then car work! Probably not quite the same as the coffee and cars that I'd like to be doing. LOL!

Pic shows up for me.
    Looks good Jon!
    Don't mess up your paint when you install your balljoints. Can't wait to see more pics!
    I was hoping to have more time last week when i was visiting family in MA, i was going to see if i could stop by to check out the project in person.
    Wayne H.

Excellent work there. I would have killed myself if my fresh paint got ruined like that!

Hybrid booster

Well, as usual, I didn't get as far as I hoped on Saturday morning, and I had tickets for a beer fest, so I couldn't be late for that!

I got the k-frame installed and the rack mounted, but then I went to assemble the struts/springs and I realized that I didn't have any locknuts that fit the koni's (koni's use a finer 14 x 1.5 thread than the OEM struts). So I only had time to run out and grab those and assemble the spring/sstruts, but wasn't able to install them. I got home late this afternoon and installed the ball joints, steering knuckles and the struts. It was a little too dark to take pics, but I did take a couple pics Saturday right before I ran out to the parts store.

Here's a shot of the flat black two-tone paint job on the k-frame. I figured since I sprayed the entire floor of the car with undercoating, I'd spray this to match.

Here's a shot of the kframe, control arms, struts and rack before install:

And here's a shot of the kframe and steering rack installed (I still have to install the new brake tubing to the passenger front side of car, so heat shield is just resting in there for now - that still needs a little more clean up before it's installed as well).

Depending on the weather tomorrow, hopefully I'll get the brakes installed, and then the car will be ready to be dropped back to the ground. After that, I'll start to work on the wiring and getting the dash installed. I'll take some pics after I get the brakes installed and post up them up.

I figure getting the interior wiring sorted will take some time, but after that, things should hopefully move along fairly quick. The goal is to get it running and registered before the snow flies!

Jon

Name:	IMG_20160727_191950_848.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	799.1 KB 
ID:	59063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160727_192821_596.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	789.0 KB 
ID:	59064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160730_123545_584.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	59065  

turbo addict

It's been YEARS since I first got my Koni's, but I swear they came with their own lock nuts for the top hats as I don't remember having to source them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

looking goood Jon.. as far as the grey color.. only my 91 spirit R/T I had was like that too.. only time I've ever seen that.

- - - Updated - - -

oh yea, refresh my memory.. wasn't the 87 csx seat material like the 86 glhs? if so I think I still have my original back seat you might be able to pull some fabric from.. yours for $0.00
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

Yeah - 87 CSX material was very similar to the GLHS. I'm working with my collector car insurance to try to get new material and redo the whole seat. I've had this car insured with them for 16 years, so hopefully the premiums were worth it!

Well, it was bad weather out Monday and Tuesday so I stayed inside and started messing with the wiring harnesses. I went through and cleaned/tested the engine compartment harness. I had one broken wire near the SBEC and the O2 wires are pretty crispy. I fixed the broken wire near the SBEC and retaped any messy areas of the harness, but I'm going to wait and rewire the O2 sensor plug once I have the harness installed in the car. I want to extend that wiring and run it up around on the firewall instead of in the factory location behind the back valve cover, and I figure it will be easier to get the length right with the harness in the car.

Last night I finished installing the brakes and lowered the car back to the ground! I still need to connect up the flex hose and run the new brake tubing over the master cyl area, but the suspension and brakes are done other than that.

And now for the bad news - it looks like using the spirit dash won't be as straight-forward as I hoped. Booo! I thought I would just have to repin the feeds to the rear of the car (doors/tailights), but of course, the p-body has completely different pins in the connectors than the AA body and the rest of the k-cars. So I can't just swap the pins in the connectors like I thought I was going to be able to do. Grrr!

Plus, I realized that p-bodies have their window/mirror controls in the center console and the a-bodies have them in the doors. So if I use the spirit dash and center console, there won't be a place to put the shadow window/mirror controls.

So I think I have 3 options:

1. Use the entire spirit body harness and modify the shadow door panels to have window controls (the mirror controls from the spirit look like they will mount right up to shadow doors with no mods). I would have to make sure not having the rear doors connected to anything wouldn't cause any problems and probably move/rewire some of the interior lighting wiring too. I'm planning on making custom door panels for this car anyway, so this would just complicate that process a little bit.

2. Cut and splice the wiring at the connectors and use the p-body body harness and try to mount the window/mirror controls somewhere in the spirit center console. I think this might be the easiest path and I already spent a few hours last night remapping the pins and have everything pretty much figured out. I just don't really want to try to mount the window/mirror controls into the spirit center console because it's not really laid out in a way that would make them easy to get too.

3. Whimp out and skip using the spirit dash and do the conversion like most others have done it - simply splice the engine harness to the shadow interior harness at the bulkhead and use the shadow dash.

Jon

Or make an adapter harness. Cut the ends of the Shadow harness to plug into the car, run them to an interior side bulkhead and run the engine harness unmodified.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast