Thread: BMF intake business for sale!

turbo addict

BMF intake business for sale!

Well its been a great run, I sold way..WAY more BMF intakes than I thought I would. But the selling wasn't the hard part. The machining and welding of nearly 40 intake manifolds was the hard part, and it was surprisingly easy. I cant believe I've machined 160 head flanges. There are 16 machined parts in each BMF intake manifold, and last time I checked my BMF intake producing facility has one employee. That means that I've personally machined more than half a thousand components for this intake. For a commercial machine shop, this is not even a speck on the radar. But for a first timer running a machine shop next to the kitchen, its pretty crazy! My doormat next to the shop door practically turned white from all the chips that got stuck in it. I dont know how many socks have met their demise from the BMF intake, but there were alot.

Even more surprising, is how smoothly the manufacturing went on this highly experimental intake , by me, someone with essentially zero experience in making just one of these, let alone dozens. The only hiccups that occured were operator-induced, like not tightening a fixture bolt, or setting an origin wrong. All the processes to machine and weld the components went exactly the same way each time. Its a very repeatable and reliable process. The setup sheets I made for machining made it so I could walk up to the mill, months after I had last machined a particular component, and immediately begin producing it with confidence and clockwork reliability. More than one person besides me has welded a BMF intake in kit form, and from the pictures I've seen, they had little or no trouble doing so. Its my opinion that the machining could be handed off just as easily.

Its time for me to focus my efforts elsewhere, and even though I've announced the last of the BMF intakes has been sold, I am still getting interest in them from the forums. I'd like to pass the entire BMF intake manufacturing process on to a capable individual or business. There is still money to be made on this popular and value packed product. For someone looking to cut their teeth in the automotive aftermarket, it could be a great package.

The machining for all the components is very basic CNC. Developing the toolpaths was very complicated and they are highly optimized, but executing them is very easy. All machining was done in a single vise that never moves location on the bed. The fixtures are very primitive but work well. The head flange requires several setups. Most setups require basic edge finding that is semi-automated and takes a few seconds. One requires precision alignment with a DTI, but is still only a few minutes long overall. It should be very easy to adapt the toolpaths to your manufacturing strategy. And that strategy could easily be expanded to machine as many components simultaneously as you can fit in your work envelope. My mill has a tiny 10 x 7 work envelope, but even that was probably big enough to allow me to add more than one vise and machine more than one part at a time. A normal sized VMC could probably do half a dozen at a time, if not more.

If you are an individual or up-and-coming machinist, the BMF intake can't be made using a manual bridgeport, but, technically, it could be made using a CNC knee mill which can be had very inexpensively (think Series I or II bridgeport). However, I would highly recommend a VMC with a tool changer.

While I like to think I've optimized the toolpaths and fixtures, the truth is there is only so far I can go with a 2hp spindle, 200ipm rapids, and a 10" x 7" work envelope. A full size VMC could shoot out a hundred BMF intakes worth of parts in no time, probably from the toolpaths I've already made simply with the feeds increased and work offsets added. The tools used are cheap and common. There is nothing in the BMF that is difficult for a professional shop to make, not even close. The tolerances are quite wide considering that the components can have their final location secured during welding.

What I'm offering are all solidworks models and toolpaths for the BMF intake, as well as a legal document specifying that I will no longer produce or develop the BMF or any other intake manifold for the 2.2 or 2.5. Also, all setup sheets and raw material requirements would be shared, and I'd do my best to provide you with all the knowledge you need to get going. Its not turn key, and you'll have to figure out how to make your machinery work on your own, but I'll tell you everything I know.

Long term, I think there is no question the BMF will continue selling. Maybe someone who knows how to tune can make a combo package that takes things to the stratosphere. It wouldn't take much to adapt the design to a Neon or another vehicle. There are all kinds of possibilities!

Heres whats for sale:

-BMF intake Solidworks models and assemblies, including the "top end" assembly which can be used to develop other components (For instance, I was using it to work on a new swingvalve design.)

-All BMF intake toolpaths in g-code.

-Machining fixtures

-Machining setup sheets

-Lists of suppliers with pricing and raw material dimensions (important so they are as drop-in as possible as far as machining with the existing toolpaths)

-Exclusive rights to the above, I will not give this information to anyone else and will sign a legal document stating that.

-Exclusive rights to manufacture the BMF intake, I will not manufacture or design any intake manifold, including but not limited to the BMF, for the 2.2 or 2.5 turbo-mopar, and will sign a legal document stating that.

-Telephone and email support by me for one month to answer any questions and help you transition the manufacturing of the BMF intake to your facility.

-All website contents at www.exoticelectron.com related to the BMF intake (minus the use of the name exotic electron)

-The good faith intention here is to make you the capable and exclusive manufacturer of the BMF intake.

I'm asking $7600 for the above, negotiable.

A group buy of less than 20 BMF intakes would pay for that including the cost of raw materials and shipping.

If you would like my assistance to make a design change to the BMF, I can offer that as well, but I'd have to know what you have in mind to discuss pricing.

I can be reached at office@exoticelectron.com

Last edited by acannell; 05-28-2016 at 10:11 AM.

turbo addict

Re: BMF intake business for sale!

bump!

Price drop to $4500, negotiable

You really can make money with the BMF intake. Give it a year or so and there will be more orders, especially once its promoted again (currently everything says that I am not making any more and they are out of stock).

Plus, at this price, I'll send 10% directly to turbo-mopar.com, so about $450. I basically owe Frank that given how much stuff I've sold on here.

turbo addict

UPDATE!!

Huge price drop! And now its on ebay and all offers are considered!

10% will still go to Frank @ Turbo-mopar!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132068326086...84.m1555.l2649

Several people say they would buy a BMF intake if they were available again! And this is without any promotion or even real-world results! Imagine if some solid dyno data of the BMF intake were available in an appropriate build!

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f32...ml#post4295561

Hybrid booster

Yea i kicked myself for.not.getting it but with the baby it was tight

turbo addict

UPDATE!

To sweeten the deal I'll include the very popular 4th cylinder coolant mod adapter plate models, plans, toolpaths, and initial technical support!

So now you can get up and running with two exclusive TM products!

The 4CCM machining is very simple. One 10" x 7" x 1/2" 6061 plate machined in one setup yields 6 adapter plates, followed by hand-tapping of the NPT port and some minor hand finishing. At $40 shipped each its a solid product!

I've been thinking about who would be ideal to get involved in BMF and 4CCM machining. I think there are basically two profiles that would fit the bill:

-Those that already have a CNC machining infrastructure at hand, as far as skills and equipment, either via themselves or their workplace.

OR

-Those that want to get involved in machining and would use the BMF and 4CCM products as a launching pad both to develop their skills and help pay for the equipment and time.

I think both profiles would benefit greatly from taking over the BMF and 4CCM. Having a specific, profitable, and fun product ready to go is a huge head start for a new machinist, especially when it meshes with something you already enjoy, like TM's. And for experienced machinists (or those looking for a turnkey product to simply have made), the BMF and 4CCM are popular and profitable.

Offers are welcome on the ebay listing!

And remember, 10% goes to TM!