Thread: T2 swap wiring idea

Hybrid booster

T2 swap wiring idea

Somebody shoot me down if this is a bad idea. I'm going to T2 swap my 86 Shelby Charger. I will use an 86/87 GLHS LM. I don't need emissions, so I won't be running EGR or Purge valve. Both of those are controlled by LM so there is already wiring from LM to under hood. Move EGR and Purge wiring from current places at LM connector to new spots for 4 wire AIS. Extend current EGR and Purge wiring to reach AIS motor. Engine light won't come on for EGR because it wasn't required for T2 cars, will come on for Purge being unplugged. Install resistor matching resistance of purge solenoid right at the LM, one end to a "new" pin installed at LM purge, other to ign +.

turbo addict

Re: T2 swap wiring idea

Unless you don't plan on modifying the car more, sell the GLHS LM and get a 87 TII LM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Send me your AIS TPS harness and I can make the wiring you need.

http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Grea...on_Wiring.html

- - - Updated - - -

Send me your AIS TPS harness and I can make the wiring you need.

http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/Turbo_I_to_Turbo_II_Conversion_Wiring.html

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Unless you don't plan on modifying the car more, sell the GLHS LM and get a 87 TII LM.
    That or socket the GLHS one. Personally, I would socket any LM for upgrades later, even add an Ostrich for on the fly flashing and also add monitoring with MPScan or MPScanLink. I made changes to the pins in the wiring at the LM and used a socketed the LM and ran some good numbers on a stock setup with street tires.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

You need to add wires for an external MAP sensor if you go the 87 LM route.

Lots of info here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/index.html

Hybrid booster

I probably won't modify the car much more anytime soon. I really just want a good running/driving weekend cruiser. There is soooo much more work to be done to the car, but I want to be able to drive it while working on the other stuff, so I'm really just looking for the fastest way to get it running with a T2. I've heard from multiple people that 87 T2 is better than 87 GLHS. Can somebody please school me on why it is so much better? I currently have the AIS 4 wire pigtail and new style 3 wire TPS pigtail sourced from the junkyard last weekend. I am not afraid or intimidated by wiring or electrical at all and have plenty of resources/tools on hand to do whatever needs to be done. I haven't actually purchase a module yet, but have multiple different offers on the table.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    You need to add wires for an external MAP sensor if you go the 87 LM route.

Lots of info here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/index.html
    That's not entirely true. You can always go directly to the board. IIRC the spots are actually labled.

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I probably won't modify the car much more anytime soon. I really just want a good running/driving weekend cruiser. There is soooo much more work to be done to the car, but I want to be able to drive it while working on the other stuff, so I'm really just looking for the fastest way to get it running with a T2. I've heard from multiple people that 87 T2 is better than 87 GLHS. Can somebody please school me on why it is so much better? I currently have the AIS 4 wire pigtail and new style 3 wire TPS pigtail sourced from the junkyard last weekend. I am not afraid or intimidated by wiring or electrical at all and have plenty of resources/tools on hand to do whatever needs to be done. I haven't actually purchase a module yet, but have multiple different offers on the table.
    It really just boils down to the fact that the 87TII stuff has a lot more support for it than the GLHS electronics.

turbo addict

87 LM have more processing power and more ram.
    For self tuning, 1 person used GLHS codes while they are multiple people that used 87 LM codes. LM is a more mature code than GLHS.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...or-LM-codebase

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-GLHS-codebase

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Any hardware. Differences won't be realized by 99.99% of us. I don't think anyone has really run into an RPM limit with the TIILM so I doubt that the GLHS is that much different.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That's not entirely true. You can always go directly to the board. IIRC the spots are actually labled.
    They are indeed.

It really just boils down to the fact that the 87TII stuff has a lot more support for it than the GLHS electronics.
    Not any more. Turbonator GLHS is out there, and it has all the same features as Turbonator/LM. The only real difference between the GLHS and '87 T2 (other than the minor wiring differences) is the '87 added a timer chip to give more precise boost control. All of the other fuel/spark code and calibration tables are identical between the GLHS and the '87 T2.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    87 LM have more processing power and more ram.
    Actually, they use the same processor and the same RAM (all RAM is in the processor). The only difference was the 2nd EPROM chip was replaced by a timer chip; and the primary EPROM chip had address lines added so that it could use a larger single chip (to store the entire binary in a single chip). But, the actual total memory space is the same...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Any hardware. Differences won't be realized by 99.99% of us. I don't think anyone has really run into an RPM limit with the TIILM so I doubt that the GLHS is that much different.
    Confirmed. It isn't that much different.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

I appreciate everybody's advice. I went with a GLHS stage 2 LM. I feel like I got a reasonable deal on it, and it will get me on the road with a T2 swap.