Thread: Oil pressure sensor for 91 Spirit R/T

Hybrid booster

Oil pressure sensor for 91 Spirit R/T

My oil pressure gauge was giving me all kinds of wonky readings, and the closest place I could find a new one in stock was Auto Zoned. Total garbage...gave worse readings then the stock one. Found a Standard Ignition one at a parts store 20 miles from me, so I returned the Auto Zoned POS and drove to get the standard one. Well needless to say it works ok but is still off. Other then getting a mechanical gauge set up, does anyone know of a replacement sender that will work correctly?

Re: Oil pressure sensor for 91 Spirit R/T

First thought is to put a mechanical gauge on just to verify that oil pressure is fine...

What is the gauge doing or not? Any chance the problem is in the connector?

turbo addict

usually what find is the wire to the sensor is partially broken causing bad readings have you checked into that?

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the replies. I've stopped driving the car until I can verify my oil pressure, so tomorrow first thing I'm doing is putting a mechanical gauge on it to see where my actual oil pressure is at.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've been through four or five of those on my '91 Daytona from various parts stores, including a Mopar one. They all worked fine at first, but died sooner or later (I've got over 125,000 miles of seat time in the car). What usually happened is they would start leaking oil around the pins inside the socket end. I would clean the sensors and the pigtail with CRC Electrical cleaner and they'd work fine again for a while but not for long. Now oddly enough, and it could just be a coincidence, the last one was reading very low and I frankly didn't care any more. But I recently put a new battery in the car, and the oil pressure gage has read fine ever since.

I will say since I've owned this car, I've had more breakdowns and repairs than any other car I've owned, and the electrical problems have been the most frustrating by far.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I have the same problems with oil pressure senders in my Jeep. It just makes sense to add mechanical gauges at this point.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=