Thread: Wide open throttle cut out switch

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Wide open throttle cut out switch

I have and "85" Shelby Charger. I am working on re-installing the air con system. When checking the wiring diagrams in my "86" FSM it shows a wide open throttle switch. I don't recall ever seeing a WOTS on my "85", or even any related wiring harness or bracketry on my original T-1 turbo setup. Is it possible that the 85's didn't have one? As far as using my system without the switch would it be sufficient to just turn off the A/C before having fun.
    Also, I noticed that the plug on the compressor harness has a diode across the pins, I'm thinking mine had that and when I cut the plug off the harness long ago I saved it and put it somewhere but god only knows where. What watt is that diode and why is it there? How is it installed relative to how it functions?
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Wide open throttle cut out switch

The computer turn's off the A/C whenever you're at WOT thru the A/C compressor relay. Only fuel injection cars have that, carbureted cars use a cutout switch. The diode suppresses the voltage spike from the clutch coil when the A/C is turn off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It's called a clamping diode and it is supposed to keep the voltage spike induced by a collapsing magnetic field (of which the compressor clutch coil is the largest on the car i think) from going back up the wires and zapping through some insulation in an inconvenient spot.

As for the WOT cutout, the computer does it on it's own! Very convenient. Except when i tried to use that function to control 2-stg boost control and found out it doesn't depend on RPM at all and cuts out at WOT at any rpm. Durn.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Thanks to you both for your responses, they are very helpful. As for that plug that I didn't know where I put it, I found it, installed on the A/C clutch harness right were I put it. Duh!! Hey, gimme a break, I'm old. Lol
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?