Thread: Classic Insurance Tech needed

Mitsu booster

Classic Insurance Tech needed

Hi all,
    I've been lusting over an old 80's caravan with a 5-speed for as long as I can remember. My hopes where for a clean turbo model but that market is pretty dry. Last night my search ended with a very clean 88 non turbo charged caravan. I couldn't be happier with it and it's very solid overall rust free and original condition (especially up here in NY). My plans for it are the same as most people with a less than perfect classic car; enjoy it on nice weekends and slowly bring it up to it's former glory to the best of my ability. Unfortunately the classic car insurance company I've used in the past doesnt recognize it as an eligible candidate and I'm kind of bummed about it. I'm curious if anyone else has gone this route and if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience/suggestions.
    Thanks

Garrett booster

Re: Classic Insurance Tech needed

I have been through that with Haggerty. Here in Pa they wouldn't cover my spirit R/Ts back in 2014. I recently called them back in February this year and it is now a covered vehicle. Im now insured with them. However the agreed value was not up to my expectations. My cars are fully restored and the highest amount I could get was 5k per car, far FAR below what receipts I could show. But in the end better than nothing an slightly cheaper as well

Never had a problem with Hagerty. I believe they draw the line at 25 yrs old. However a "historic or collectors " lic.plate usually helps.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Odd, I have an $8k policy on my GLHS, even though the car is literally a bare shell on jackstands and parts piled on shelves all over the shop. But all those parts are covered whether they're on the car or not. That's usually not the case with regular insurance companies. That reminds me, I gotta renew that policy this month.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Never had a problem with Hagerty. I believe they draw the line at 25 yrs old. However a "historic or collectors " lic.plate usually helps.
    I have a few vehicles with Hagerty and when I went for insurance on the CSX they put up a bit of a fuss and refused to insure it till I sent proof that the car had been painted. Being at the body shop wasn't good enough. I almost pulled my other vehicles and I think they figured that out and relented a bit. Still a bit miffed.

Working on clearing the decks.

boostaholic

Hagerty would not insure my glhs unless I moved all my cars to them...not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Odd, I have an $8k policy on my GLHS, even though the car is literally a bare shell on jackstands and parts piled on shelves all over the shop. But all those parts are covered whether they're on the car or not. That's usually not the case with regular insurance companies. That reminds me, I gotta renew that policy this month.
    I guess I should have specified that this was through Hagerty.

Garrett booster

i've used there website to generate a quote, note -- use the advanced options to add/remove coverage -- the online chat was helpful.
    First quote for my rough shape (non running ) 86 glh was $350, after using the support/chat dropped to $250/yr

Hybrid booster

Don't you need a garage for Hagerty insurance?

I bought my Haggerty insurance through my Allstate agent. I decided on a value for the car, sent them pictures, and now have inexpensive full coverage for my '89 Chrysler Lebaron.

I had no issues with Hagerty. I got $3500 on my Shelby lancer for $262 a year and that's with it being in the driveway.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

turbo addict

Don't you need a garage for Hagerty insurance?
    Yes, thats what they told me.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Yes, thats what they told me.
    Yes, the car must be stored in a locked garage, and you must have a daily driver insured by a 'regular' insurance provider, of which you'll have to submit proof.

boostaholic

funny how there are different stories..they told me they would not insure my one car unless I moved all my cars to them.

turbo addict

But they won't insure "regular" cars.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

I need to call them back I guess. I did leave that last call rather confused.

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense. They are a specialty insurance company, and won't cover daily drivers. But having said that, they did say I can drive it wherever, whenever, with no mileage restrictions.

Sure, as soon as I get it finished . . .

boostaholic

completed most of the application..now they want pictures. Time for a bath I guess.

boostaholic

Well I got a call from hagerty today. Told me the whole picture deal.

Then they told me about the no personal injury protection and no coverage for autocross. The autocross part I get but the no PIP is on and off road.

No hagerty for me