Thread: Boost Control Not Working in Certain Turbonator Cals

Mitsu booster

Boost Control Not Working in Certain Turbonator Cals

I've been playing around with T-SMEC cals a bit after a lot of reading, and seem to be understanding most things, except for an issue that I'm having with computer boost control.

Car has a 2.2, intercooled, with a mitsu turbo. Wastegate is plumbed per the 1989 T-1 diagram. Stock computer seemed to control boost just fine, though I never logged it.

I first flashed the T-SMEC_22_MTX_A553_Stock calibration, with a few tweaks to overboost settings (the defaults were set with a timer overboost somewhere really low?) Boost control seems to work fairly well with this. Maybe a bit sluggish to spool, but once it does, it controls fairly well. Duty cycle reacts as I would expect. Spreadsheet of a log with this setup:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I then tried the T-SMEC_22_MTX_S-II calibration, again tweaking the overboost settings and a few configuration flags, turning off staging and turning off T-2 boost control. Boost control seemed to not work properly at all. If I step right into WOT, I get somewhere around 4-5 PSI of boost, and the computer doesn't even seem to be trying to raise it through duty cycle. Boost target is correct, but the duty cycle never raises high enough to build boost. Oddly enough though, if I ease into WOT very slowly, duty cycle will raise a bit, and I'll get into 8 or 9 psi. Still not target, and duty cycle never sees anywhere near 100%, but it still raises higher than pushing right into WOT. Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I also tried the T-SMEC_22_MTX_4344_MP cal, thinking that maybe it was a codebase issue and the original Mopar-based calibrations would have different code. The MP cal worked very similar to the S-II cal. Duty cycle simply never rose enough to even try building boost.

Any thoughts on this? It definitely seems to be an issue in the computer, it just isn't commanding a high enough duty cycle.

Mitsu booster

Re: Boost Control Not Working in Certain Turbonator Cals

Another thought - I realized that the stock calibration had the charge air temperature disabled by default, and the S-II and MP cals had it enabled. So I tried disabling it in the S-II cal, to no avail, it still acted the same.

boostaholic

try this link to see if anything pops up that may help.
    I could never get it to work
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...trol&highlight=

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gnnash View Post
    Another thought - I realized that the stock calibration had the charge air temperature disabled by default, and the S-II and MP cals had it enabled. So I tried disabling it in the S-II cal, to no avail, it still acted the same.
    The TII cals are setup for TII boost control. You'd have to change the WG plumbing for the boost control to work correctly. Try changing the BoostControl flag to T1 from TII; you'll also have to copy over the T1 WG control tables/values.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The TII cals are setup for TII boost control. You'd have to change the WG plumbing for the boost control to work correctly. Try changing the BoostControl flag to T1 from TII; you'll also have to copy over the T1 WG control tables/values.
    I did change the flag, by deselecting TII boost control. The T1 wastegate DC tables are all the same as they are on the stock cal where boost control works. Are there some values in the T2 wastegate settings that I need to copy over as well for some reason? I didn't look to see if those were the same.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Where/when did you download the various cals?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Where/when did you download the various cals?
    From your site, about a month ago.

Mitsu booster

Tinkered around a little more last night. I took the stock cal which had functioning boost control, and tweaked the timing, boost target and fuel tables to match what is in the MP cal. Boost control seems to function then...

Log from a run around the block: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

The control seems a bit odd though, and certainly not ideal for quick spool-up: The wastegate duty cycle remains 0 until about 0 PSI, at which point it jumps to the 60% range, declines to about 40% at 6 PSI, then makes a jump to 100%. This is very evident when driving - a slowish rise to atmospheric pressure, a slow rise to ~6 PSI, then a faster jump to boost target.

Color me confused, it doesn't seem to reflect what I would expect from the wastegate control tables.

Hybrid booster

Gnnash, Welcome to my world. I've been fighting ecu boost control issues for a LOOOONG time and decided to start from scratch with a stock cal like you did.
    What you're seeing with the odd duty cycle is what I believe is the application of the adaptives.
    I was originally using a 16k bin file and with the settings matched exacty to a 32k bin file, the 32k file wasn't as fast and wasn't near as good at controlling boost.

What I ended up doing was:
    1. Plumbed as a T1 with ECU setup with T1 boost control ( I suppose I could plumb back to T2 but I've done all my testing up to this point as a T1 setup )
    2. disabled the adaptives ( set all to zero )
    3. wildly played with the WGDC to get to the point of where it was actually effecting boost ( starting at base boost and working my way up...NOT starting at overboost )
    4. fine tuned the WGDC values to control boost reliably
    5. Set boost target to where I wanted it
    6. Adjusted WGDCs again to take care of some boost creep.
    7. Add the adaptives back in, log and see what needs to be tweaked.----I'm on this step and version 30 of my base cal

I've kinda stopped at step 7 because I'm pretty dang close to where I want to be.
    Without the adaptives in place I'm at 16 psi in 1-2 and 19-20 psi in 3-5 at prolonged pull at full throttle ( which is exactly where I want to be ). At 16+ psi before 70mph it will spin the tires.

One thing that I've found IMPERATIVE: have the car in a prolonged full throttle situation as soon after flashing as possible.
    When I first started making my own tunes I'd flash before work or before my trip home....max speed in rush hour traffic was <45mph and I had idle issues and boost control problems.
    Now I hop on the hwy for 5-10 miles....hop off, flash, head back while logging for at least 5 miles then let it learn idle etc for the next couple of days. Very rarely flash with less than 40 miles on a cal unless something is terribly wrong