Thread: 89 Shelby daytona t2 5spd question

89 Shelby daytona t2 5spd question

I'm pretty sure all 89 Shelby daytonas came with a commonblock t2, but has anybody encountered one with got out of Chrysler new with a non commonblock 88 t2 motor in it?

turbo addict

Re: 89 Shelby daytona t2 5spd question

Only model I'm aware of that happening are the TC's. Plenty of 89's with 88 engines and other parts in them. Have you checked block stamping #'s? Was it very early production? Produced in 88? I have no doubt this could easily have happened, as many changes were running changes.
    Todd

Garrett booster

It could be a warranty block. Chrysler did make common blocks with the fuel pump block off plate as warranty replacement blocks that were backward compatible with earlier blocks.

That is if you are identifying this 89 as a non commonblock because of the fuel pump plate.

Buying a car and I haven't physically seen it and trying to rule out running into any surprises as I'm buying it because it's an 89 t2 5spd with the hopes that nothing funny happened from the factory or along the way until now as the owner says it's the original motor in it

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    Buying a car and I haven't physically seen it and trying to rule out running into any surprises as I'm buying it because it's an 89 t2 5spd with the hopes that nothing funny happened from the factory or along the way until now as the owner says it's the original motor in it
    Tom if that's the case I would have the owner look at the door sticker and have them tell you the date of manufacture. That should be easy enough for them to do. Unless he/she is the original owner, how would they know if it is the original engine or not? Having owned many pre common block TII's, I wouldn't let that deter you from buying if the rest of the vehicle checks out. Early block with steel crank and big rods is plenty stout.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

The 10th digit on the VIN tells model year: J=1988, K=1989

I'm also not convinced common blocks are superior after looking at the casting line visible through the water pump hole.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamman View Post
    It could be a warranty block. Chrysler did make common blocks with the fuel pump block off plate as warranty replacement blocks that were backward compatible with earlier blocks.

That is if you are identifying this 89 as a non commonblock because of the fuel pump plate.
    I have one of these and can confirm its true.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

I'd say VIN means very little as this point with the age of these cars. Anything could have done to the car during the 20+ years of these cars' lives.

Ask for clear and detail underhood photos. Common block can be easily identified in photo. Round tooth pulley, no-fuel pump block off plate, etc.

By the way, It's Daytona Shelby, not Shelby Daytona.