Thread: Mounting a second AC compressor as a EDC

Hybrid booster

Mounting a second AC compressor as a EDC

Not really sure where to post this so mods please move if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I have a 89 8V Chrysler TC. I have air struts in the front and will soon have bags in place of the springs in the back. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, it is what it is.. I originally planned on using a AC compressor as a E.D.C. (engine driven compressor) when the bags were going into the Pacifica, but now that they've landed in the TC I've got a situation. I'm not willing to lose the functional AC, but I would be willing to sacrifice the PS. Anyone have any ideas of how I can make this happen? Everything on the passenger side is in it's stock location other than the BMF intake. Perhaps someone has info regarding mounting something else that I could apply to a start on this?

Thanks Jay S
    "project log/ build thread"
    http://forums.aaca.org/topic/231443-...-build-thread/

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Mounting a second AC compressor as a EDC

I'm not sure how an AC compressor would work without the oil suspended in the refrigerant. I guess it would be like running a 2-stroke without premix. It would work.. for a while. Not sure how long.

Where did you get the air springs for the front struts?

Very cool project, btw!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I'm not sure how an AC compressor would work without the oil suspended in the refrigerant. I guess it would be like running a 2-stroke without premix. It would work.. for a while. Not sure how long.
    There's two ways that I know of. The first is converting a Sanden compressor to run on grease. There info out there on doing it, but I've been having issue finding one at a decent price. The second is with a oiler and separator or something like that. lol Sorry if the terminology isn't correct but I'm sure you get the idea.

Where did you get the air springs for the front struts?
    Cool story: I walked passed a Ford Five Hundred at the JY that appeared stock other than the missing taillights and bumpers. Curiosity got the best of me and instinct made me look in the trunk. They were just sitting there by themselves staring at me. Guess someone stashed them there thinking no one would look. I literally had no reason to even glance at the car! It was a gift and a curse but hey, I have a TC on air

Very cool project, btw!
    Thanks!

boostaholic

so how about moving alternator to ps location and adding a compressor where the alternator used to live? I think the area where the ps is now does not have enough depth space to support a compressor at least not on my 2 TM's

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

When i considered an off-road on-board compressed air setup, the convention then was to use one of the old recipc a/c compressors. They were the preferred donor compressor for the task. I don't think the later style compressors would live long without the oiling. The recip units might maintain some oil in the crankcase.

You might be better off mounting a load leveling compressor, or even two, and consider some type of receiver, which could even be made of some piping that is capped/welded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

instead I would look for the electric comp used in an air ride lincoln , merc or some caddy or dodge - for a start

simply wireing it in and mounting / plumbing it would be much easier than trying to use something driven off the crank

by personal experiance with my 95 mercurey .. you might want to find parts that don't say ford on em for this - I gave up on the factory rear air ride and swaped crown vic springs in

best plan would include an air storage tank so the compressor dosen't have as much work to do

turbo addict

My dad and I have been running 80's GM AC pumps as air pumps for years on our Jeeps. We pour a little ATF down them when they get loud. I believe my dad killed one a few years back. But that was after running it hard for ten years or better. We use them to fill a 37" tire after airing down to 2psi and after we knock them off the bead. Mine will out run my 20' 3/8 air hose.

Hybrid booster

so how about moving alternator to ps location and adding a compressor where the alternator used to live? I think the area where the ps is now does not have enough depth space to support a compressor at least not on my 2 TM's
    Honestly, that's the only place I can think of, I'm just not sure if the alt can handle the heat? I guess some sort of heat shield would be a must.

instead I would look for the electric comp used in an air ride lincoln , merc or some caddy or dodge - for a start
    You might be better off mounting a load leveling compressor, or even two, and consider some type of receiver, which could even be made of some piping that is capped/welded.
    I already have an aftermarket elec air pump, but I would prefer the EDC because of the CFM they can push out as well as the fact that there's less compressor noise. Not that I'm trying to be in any kind of dancing competition, but I would like to be able to fill and dump them a few times without having to wait a few mins in between.

I have a 3ish gallon tank that will be perm in the car and I have 7 gallon (or 8, can't remember) tank that can be added whenever i feel like having a little extra that simply tee's into the the line with a push fitting. Problem is... the little tank wont completely fill one bag to the max psi, so a higher CFM will be the only way to make me happy.
    Last edited by jayspartanburg; 05-04-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Hybrid booster

LOL I spoke to my GF last night and she said that she rather not lose AC, but if I expect her to drive it, it must have PS. Not sure if that means this idea is dead or if it is a sign of something great to come.

A lot of the newer 2.0/2.4 engines have the alternator right next to the exhaust manifold with a heat shield. I agree an ac compressor probably wouldnt fit there as well as an alternator.

turbo addict

what about two of the newer style little a/c compressors ?

both mounted to a custom fab'ed bracket that goes right where the stock a/c compressor goes

I can't think of a source off the top of my head but I've seen some pretty small a/c compressors in recient years while looking under random hoods at the scrapyard

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    A lot of the newer 2.0/2.4 engines have the alternator right next to the exhaust manifold with a heat shield. I agree an ac compressor probably wouldnt fit there as well as an alternator.
    Last night I was searching pics using different terms and saw a couple of 2.0/2.4's and noticed that as well. I also saw a serpentine belt conversion post that gave me some ideas as far as what it would take.
    what about two of the newer style little a/c compressors ?

both mounted to a custom fab'ed bracket that goes right where the stock a/c compressor goes

I can't think of a source off the top of my head but I've seen some pretty small a/c compressors in recient years while looking under random hoods at the scrapyard
    I need to do some research and see if that'll work. As long as the EDC one puts out enough air, that might be doable. I really need to install the radiator to see how much space I have in the front. A couple of hours with someone that knows what they're doing would get the car on the road. I'm honestly burnt out from working solo on the cars.

Hybrid booster

When I get my BMF I'm going to mount it on a spare long block and see if I can fab something out of car and exactly how much space is back there.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I doubt the older R4 GM compressor will fit due to the size (ShadowFromHell's post mentions them), but they work well for this. They are also really heavy. The smaller Mitsu alternator has a better chance of going in place of the PS pump and clearing the exhaust. But then you lose PS. Hmmmmm.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

I have this compressor in my truck and it is fairly quiet and pushes a lot of air for a DC compressor.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...or/p13971.html
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Well, there are electric power steering pumps. And along those lines, are there hydraulic air compressors you could run off your PS pump?

Hybrid booster

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...assist-no.html

I just found this. I'm going to bed, I'll do some some reading tomorrow.

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

I'm not 100% sold on going this route, but after seeing the pics in the ebay link above, and pondering it for a month, I think that a cam driven compressor on the drivers side between the engine and radiator would be my best bet. Any other ideas/suggestions/opinions?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

or cam drive the power steering or something else and move the alt to the back and put two compressors on the front.

GM cam drove the 2.4 twin cam power steering.... .and maybe the ecotec too?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.