Thread: 4 wheel disc with 4 bolt pattern?

Hybrid booster

4 wheel disc with 4 bolt pattern?

When I made all the changes to my '83 SC, I wanted to keep all the external identifying features of the year, including the 4 bolt wheels. I'd like to convert over to 4 wheel disc, but an wondering if it will be possible to convert, and NOT change over to 5 lug?
    I did notice that the Mini Cooper uses the 4X100 pattern, and has rear discs... I wonder what kind of cluster ...you know what... I would get into trying something like that?
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

turbo addict

Re: 4 wheel disc with 4 bolt pattern?

Maybe 95 neon? It would be the first time I've seen it, but I know they had ABS 4 bolt wheels and drums and ABS and non-ABS 5 bolt wheels with disc. Maybe some hardware would have to be purchased from a parts store rather than finding the right car in the junk yard.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

You would probably have to find a 4-lug rotor from a different car that would work with the dodge hub and caliper. Or you could just redrill the rotors.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    You would probably have to find a 4-lug rotor from a different car that would work with the dodge hub and caliper. Or you could just redrill the rotors.
    Is there a rear 4 bolt dodge hub for disc? All I've found so far is if it's 4 bolt, it is a disc/drum setup. the disc/disc setups appear to be 5 bolt.
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

One question to ask before you get too deep into this is why go to rear disc? In reality, it does not offer much if any increased stopping power over the 220mm rear drums. I think the drums are also lighter compared to a disc setup with iron calipers.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    One question to ask before you get too deep into this is why go to rear disc? In reality, it does not offer much if any increased stopping power over the 220mm rear drums. I think the drums are also lighter compared to a disc setup with iron calipers.
    The main reason is that I hate working on drum brakes. They bring out a new language that my grandson probably shouldn't hear.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    ... I think the drums are also lighter compared to a disc setup with iron calipers.
    Probably so Mike, but there is sprung weight and reciprocating weight. Reciprocating weight you are constantly accelerating and decelerating. Drums have most of their weight in all the wrong places compared to a solid rear disk. I agree though Mike, most of my l-bodies still sport their 220mm rear drums for the reasons you list. You can put on a set of semi-metallic shoes on the rear for even better performance from your organic lined drum brake car.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I don't race this car... I couldn't care less about weight at this point. I've already added a bunch to keep it from sounding like a tin can. Just simply asking a "how" question about rear discs - 4 lug.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just food for thought, but something I've considered. What about using the OE rear hubs with the drums removed, and mounting standard L-body solid front discs to it? The OE L-body front discs suck you-know-what, but should be fine on the rears. Obviously, you need to find as compatable caliper, but I would imagine something could be made to work, even say, 89 Dodge Daytona rear calipers??? Should work. Nominal thickness on the Daytona solid rears is .472", L-body is .500". There should be that much give in the Daytona calipers... You'd have to make a caliper mount, but that shouldn't be hard. Or check out some stock Brembo calipers. Some of the smaller versions are fairly inexpensive...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Just food for thought, but something I've considered. What about using the OE rear hubs with the drums removed, and mounting standard L-body solid front discs to it? The OE L-body front discs suck you-know-what, but should be fine on the rears. Obviously, you need to find as compatable caliper, but I would imagine something could be made to work, even say, 89 Dodge Daytona rear calipers??? Should work. Nominal thickness on the Daytona solid rears is .472", L-body is .500". There should be that much give in the Daytona calipers... You'd have to make a caliper mount, but that shouldn't be hard. Or check out some stock Brembo calipers. Some of the smaller versions are fairly inexpensive...
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Downside is you would lose the parking brake, as that is done with a drum integrated into the later discs. Perhaps do the same thing except use the '87-'88 Shelby Z calipers and brackets with the L-body hub and disc. Downside of that is those brake systems are getting hard to find, the cable actuated calipers are more difficult to rebuild, and I don't know if the L-body parking brake cables can be adapted to the calipers.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Reeves put a Wilwood setup on the back of his Omni. Not sure if it still has a parking brake though.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Downside is you would lose the parking brake, as that is done with a drum integrated into the later discs. Perhaps do the same thing except use the '87-'88 Shelby Z calipers and brackets with the L-body hub and disc. Downside of that is those brake systems are getting hard to find, the cable actuated calipers are more difficult to rebuild, and I don't know if the L-body parking brake cables can be adapted to the calipers.

Yeah, losing the parking brake is the down side, but how many folks really use them on a regular basis? Or maybe better question: How many of them still work after all these years???

Mine work fine on the Scamp(factory drums), but I replaced EVERYTHING when I restored it... because they didn't work before...

Hybrid booster

Thanks all!!! This gives me something to mull over. I need to take a look at the rears anyhow, as I got something dragging at the moment. While I'm in there, I'll play around...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Yeah, losing the parking brake is the down side, but how many folks really use them on a regular basis? Or maybe better question: How many of them still work after all these years???...
    Me and yes they do on all the cars.

Hybrid booster

Another idea, you could possibly source discs from another car that shares a 4×100 bolt pattern. Sounds outrageous but you might get lucky looking at something for a honda or another car with the shared bolt pattern. Just throwing the idea out there.

turbo addict

yeah .. ^

it might be easier to adapt something from the spindle up that only needs an adapter to mount whatever's spindle on the rear trailing axle ... or some new holes drilled and taped in the ends of the axle to bolt the new spindles on (maybe?)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    Another idea, you could possibly source discs from another car that shares a 4×100 bolt pattern. Sounds outrageous but you might get lucky looking at something for a honda or another car with the shared bolt pattern. Just throwing the idea out there.
    That's kind of what started the idea... I was helping a friend at the track with his Mini Cooper, and noticed 4 wheel disc, and 4 bolt, so I asked if it was 4X100. He told me it was, and it started the wheels turning. I just got the car out of storage after moving, so I need to get under there. I figured a few mini junkyard parts may be worth the price just to do some testing / mockups...

turbo addict

Rotors from the rear of an 02 civic with the 10 in brakes might be close.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

I thought the Mini was 4x108 but I'm probably wrong.

Hybrid booster

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mini/cooper/

Coopers all seem to be 4X100