Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 16v continued

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 16v continued

Either one, try for one built with a 3.50 final. Let others chime in.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

That transmission has an 87-88 input shaft, fifth gear is secured with the reverse spline and lock ring. Intermediate shaft looks like an 89 if first and second do not have a single large brass ring but a 3 piece ring setup. That would support using parts from a 568.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

So we pulled an A555 tranny off of one of the NOS drivetrains I got from Rossion.
    We had to modify it for the crank sensor for the T3 , and for the Consulier shift linkage. Some of the seals were dried out but overall was relatively straight forward.

The only problem now is 5th gear. It seems that this 5th gear is much taller then the old one. We used the old final drive/diff , so no change there. Did some of these tranny's have an overdrive and others a 1 to 1 fifth?

The car has the power to handle the taller gearing but I don't like it.

PS - Rossion brought a car out to the track for my friend and mechanic Peter ( also an SCCA National champion) to do some shake down runs.

The Consulier is significantly more powerful and faster in the straights and sweeping turns, but the bigger rubber on the Rossion made it easier to keep the power on during tight turns and for rapid acceleration with less wheel spin.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

All the 5th gears should be the same, or very very close to it. It's probably the easiest gear to customize though, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

turbo addict

The standard 555/568/520/523 5th gear ratios are .71:1 and .72:1. Generally you'll find the .71 paired with the 3.85 final drive.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789