Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 16v continued

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 16v continued

They're not bad to rebuild at all. The only thing I could think of that a well equipped shop would potentially need is the tool to remove the intermediate shaft bearing.

This is from the dark ages of my videos, but you'll get the idea.

Hybrid booster

Hey thanks for that video! , I am hoping the tools for the BMW Gertrag tranny's are the same. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone know what parts from the A568 would have been swapped over? Are the bearings the same between 555& 568?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    Hey thanks for that video! , I am hoping the tools for the BMW Gertrag tranny's are the same. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone know what parts from the A568 would have been swapped over? Are the bearings the same between 555& 568?

The intermediate shaft bearing is different, and I believe the input shaft bearings are too. The main thing which can be used between the two transmissions are the 3/4 and 5th synchro. The 89 555 1/2 synchro is the same as the 568. You can use the same 3, 4, and 5th gear between the two also.

Hybrid booster

This was what fell out of the tranny and the magnet is full of metal sludge.

It doesn't look like that trans is very happy. How does the gear set look when you peek in the area behind the selector cover?

Hybrid booster

Gears look ok , I will post pictures of them tomorrow.

I have heard some people Jack the cars to raise the fill side of the tranny to get in extra fluid- I have never done that. How important is that to do? And I also had leaking from the filler hole - perhaps this was enough to toast the bearings? The combo of less fluid to start as well as some leaking.

Tranny never shifted badly, no grinding, no indication of this failure.

Last edited by polopharm; 01-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Low fluid is bad. Especially on a car that handles well. You'll lose 5th gear first because it's the highest and on the outside of everything else. I've always jacked it up high and filled. I've never had a problem with a trans. I would not be able to stomach a leak at all. Eminent failure for those who let their trans leak for any period of time. It's just too hard to keep up on and there's only so much fluid in there to begin with. Add hard turns, higher friction from the higher RPM and more power and that makes things even worse.

These are perhaps the most stout FWD transaxles ever produced, but they don't like to be run low on fluid. If your gear set is in good shape still, I'd call that a victory.

turbo addict

Looks like maybe a pinion tooth and some intermediate shaft bearing...

Hybrid booster

Was tinkering with the car last night waiting for tranny to be rebuilt.
    Started thinking of what pieces of the car have not been replaced or worked on since I got it 2 + years ago. Hopefully the shifter cables were the last pieces!

So far I could only come up with the rear bumper - so I took it off and replaced the nuts that secure it to the body.
    Other wise I could not think of a single part.
    Try and think of any bit or piece and I bet fingers have been laid on it - replaced , fixed , adjusted....

turbo addict

Do you know what ended up being broken in the tranny?

Hybrid booster

Finally got tranny fully torn apart. The output shaft is bad, all bearings and synchros will be replaced as well. Not all were bad. The 5th gear synchro was the worst, which surprised me.
    Also trying to figure out which parts of this tranny would have the 568 parts swapped in?
    Why does it have 2 springs per gear? Seems like it would just make shifting harder , but is there a reason?

So now the big question- where do I buy this stuff?
    I assume the parts are all NLA?
    I would like to get tranny back in car by Feb 4. So time is of the essence.

OUCH!!! Edward Papp or Jackson can probably hook you up.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Super commin failure point on the nose bearing race on the input shaft. Depending on what you decide to swap, that input shaft is NOT junk! It just needs to be sleeved, been done a thousand times on 555's.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

From what I remember , the double spring is to reduce the 2nd gear crunch. I think it makes the syncro work harder.

Hybrid booster
    The shaft has about a 1/4 inch of wear , with a giant step notched into it , my mechanic didn't think there was anything left to sleeve.
    Last edited by polopharm; 01-24-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the link on the bearings!
    And maybe if anyone has a spare shaft to sell I would buy it and then deal with this one later.

I have a spare tranny but am trying to save time and labor to completely tear it down if I can source another one

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yeah, you might make a "parts wanted" post. Someone might have a rebuilt trans on the shelf, ready for a car that's a long way from running.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Super commin failure point on the nose bearing race on the input shaft. Depending on what you decide to swap, that input shaft is NOT junk! It just needs to be sleeved, been done a thousand times on 555's.
    Normally I would agree but look closer at the journals where the gears are riding, that shaft has been oil starved severely.

Just a freak occurrence or a tell tale sign of how bad the oil starvation was. Never seen the thrust washer/spacer between 2nd and 3rd self destruct like that.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

That's what my engine guy said too. I think I did the damage via a leak thru drain plug , and not jacking up the side of the car to overfill tranny. And higher G force type driving.

So as I am such an ignorant Mopar owner -
    This a555 tranny would have had the input shaft changed to an a568 in order to work with the t3? I think Mike said something involving 1st and 2nd gear were rebuilt with 568 parts.

My particular tranny has double springs on all the gears.
    Shifting was very notchy but also very positive. Recommendations- keep the double springs or go to 1?

If I were to look for a used tranny, do I get a 555 or a 568.

( Once my race car is done this car will revert to just spirited street use)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast