Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 16v continued

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 16v continued

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    Yeah Sebring has been a blast , Homestead 2nd , Palm Beach a distant third , in terms of fun.

Gonna be in Cali all summer so looking for some other stuff as tracks are all far away there

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Sears point and Laguna Seca are a reasonable drive from where you spend summers right?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Prepping the blue car for trip to California.
    While doing an oil change, pulled the filter and the check valve going to the oil cooler fell out in my hands.
    So who knows for how long , but no oil was getting to the cooler.
    We decided to swap out to a remote oil filter and upgrade the cooler and lines. Stock lines are AN 8, a bit on the small size. So went to a 10 and a bigger cooler .

Also decided to vent the inner fender liner , to allow air to exit easier. The series 1, came with this liner vented already.
    Drivers side scoop has inner cooler and oil cooler.
    Passenger scoop has a/c condenser and fuel pump/ filters.

Also wanted to say kudos to Mike and Brian Slowe, they made an amazing much larger, custom inner cooler. Amazing fabrication job.

Brian had run huge size 10 fuel lines , 2 pumps and 2 filters. Hard to see , but here are a couple shots.

Hybrid booster

On way back to California, lets hope for no errant roll back trucks.

Hybrid booster

Been getting the chance to do a bunch of great canyon driving. Put around on 500 miles since June 1st.
    Heading to an autocross on the 15 , 16. Have never done one.
    Was advised to left foot brake to keep rpm's up , and minimize turbo lag.

I have been doing this whenever I drive it. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the car feels much more balanced on corner entry , and especially on corner exit.
    Anyone else had same experience in their GTP?

This car has a modified 555 with some 568 parts ( I am not sure what was done)
    But it is very easy to shift clutch-less. Rev match well and it pops in as smoothly as with the clutch.
    3 to second is the most tricky but still not bad. Not sure how rugged these tranny's are but assume they are pretty bullet proof based on all the drag racing.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Have you driven Hudson Ranch Road? It was formerly known as Cerro Noestre. If you take the 33 all the way up to the 166, turn right, or east toward Bakersfield, it comes up in a maybe three miles, turn right and head toward Pine Mountain Club/Gorman. One of the best roads I have ever experienced. If I ever met the road engineer who built/designed it, I'd buy him a steak dinner. Get lunch in Pine Mtn Club and head straight back to the 166. Don't bother with the "loop" of Lockwood Valley Road as Lockwood is half the road that Cerro Noestre is.

Great thread, BTW. Can't wait to see the car. Yeah, tracks are a long way, Willow Springs or Button Willow?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the tip , I will give the 166 a run later this week.
    How long is the drive on 166?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

166 is a bore but you are only on it for a short hop. Take 33 up the mountain from Ojai keep going until you hit the 166, turn right until you hit Hudson Ranch Road, right again. Be careful, it is easy to miss Hudson Ranch Road because it is right over the other side of a rise; you're looking into the sky, and "there it is, on the right." Proceed on Hudson Ranch Road for maybe 20 miles of pure driving joy. Then you can continue through Pine Mountain Club and turn right onto Lockwood Valley Road which will take you back to the 33, or, you can just turn around and run Hudson Ranch Road the other direction - which is my choice. Lockwood's road conditions are worse and it's just not as well designed with lots more long straights and parts that are water crossings in the winter.

I've attached three maps, the last one shows the big picture, Ojai to 166 to Hudson Ranch, another the 33/166 junction and the other the 166/Hudson junction.

It's not a short drive, figure 2/3 of a day including an hour for lunch. There's no cell coverage for a lot of that area.

BTW, Buttonwillow is near Bakersfield - which is not terribly far from the 33/166 junction.
    Last edited by johnl; 07-05-2017 at 11:22 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Was advised to left foot brake to keep rpm's up , and minimize turbo lag.

I have been doing this whenever I drive it. The biggest thing I have noticed is that the car feels much more balanced on corner entry , and especially on corner exit.

But it is very easy to shift clutch-less. Rev match well and it pops in as smoothly as with the clutch.
    3 to second is the most tricky but still not bad. Not sure how rugged these tranny's are but assume they are pretty bullet proof based on all the drag racing.

Yes, you certainly have the right idea it sounds like. The results you are describing are all reasons why it works well when executed correctly.

As for shifting "clutchless"...while the trannies are strong, this eventually will wear out the synchro blocker rings. You really do want to disconnect the input from the engine when shifting gears (up or down) so the synchro blocker rings are only trying to speed match the gear set, not the entire engine. Unless you've flubbed a shift a LOT, doing it a few times isn't going to mess anything up, but keep doing it and eventually gears will start to grind. If our trannies still had parts available...then maybe I'd say it's worth it to just replace parts, but since this isn't the case, taking it a little easier will keep the smiles going and the wallet closed for a lot longer.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input. The shifts are normally smooth in worst case are just a little clunky, but not grinding. As i said before 3-2 is the worst shift to get perfect. And the shifts are not significantly different when done with or without the clutch. Car has an aluminum flywheel and 4 puck clutch.
    I did not realize that tranny parts were NLA. It amazes me how many parts are NLA for these turbo mopar drivetrains considering how many were made and how many are still out there.
    (Consider that almost every part is still available for a Delorean)

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks for the input. The shifts are normally smooth in worst case are just a little clunky, but not grinding. As i said before 3-2 is the worst shift to get perfect. And the shifts are not significantly different when done with or without the clutch. Car has an aluminum flywheel and 4 puck clutch.
    I did not realize that tranny parts were NLA. It amazes me how many parts are NLA for these turbo mopar drivetrains considering how many were made and how many are still out there.
    (Consider that almost every part is still available for a Delorean)

The one thing we have going for us is that the synchros are the same for all the cars for 3/4 and 5th. Other than that, once they're worn out, it'll be time to have more made.

Hybrid booster

I guess I should never plan on more then 500 miles without a somewhat major repair!
    Went out for a quick drive over the mountains. 10 miles in blew a hole through the header. Man, what a drag.
    Its the custom header that Mike had made.
    I have been running +/- 20 lbs of boost. Been driving somewhat hard , never been up to rev limiter(6500 rpm)
    Will be looking for someone to weld it back together.
    Looks like my autocross will not be happening.
    Went back and looked at a picture my son took the last time i drove the car and you can see that it had already started cracking. But I really could not detect a sound change and the afr was reading normally right up to when it blew out.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Looks kinda like it 'tore' loose from the weight of the WG. I'd have a small supporting bracket made when you have it welded.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Ding ding ding. Good call !
    Just spoke to Brian.
    I am going to pull it off and send it to him. That was his idea as well.
    Amazing how heavy the waste gate is. I started taking it off and the whole section of pipe just fell off in my hands
    So yeah he will figure out a supporting brace, and hopefully not too much down time.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Maybe it can simply be gusseted back to itself from underneath to support the cantilevered weight?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Thats what Brian planned on going, good call. I was thinking it was going to require more support. Hopefully you guys are right.

Hybrid booster

I will try and shoot a picture of the engine cover , it was getting cooked. Luckily didnt have to drive it too far.

Hybrid booster

Guess when you have one of the coolest cars in existence unique problems develop.

Hybrid booster

Header off and on way back to Brian Slowe.
    Going to swap over to Cindy's exhaust studs , vs the current bolts.
    Looks like the cometic manifold gasket was leaking a bit from 2nd and 3rd cylinders. Thats part of the reason to go to the studs. Hopefully can get it on tighter.

Hybrid booster

Might want to put some high temp silicone on the gasket when you replace it. Always works for me when sealing up exhaust leaks.

Hybrid booster

Good call. Thanks.
    Hopefully be up and running for the autocross Aug 12.