Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 16v continued

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 16v continued

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Let's go over the basics of image uploads and picture rotation...

This is one bada$$ car. It's acceleration is so liner and pure. Can't wait to see how you make it better, seems like you're on the right track!

Since you mentioned it tough guy, HOW DO I rotate a pic after I hit upload and it automatically lays it on it's side?? It's upright when I load it but the auto resize feature turns mine sideways too. I'm over 45ish and have never figured out how to fix it

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Head going back together.
    Thats the jet-hot titanium coating , guaranteed for life. Its less pretty then the old coating but should work better

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post

Head going back together.
    Thats the jet-hot titanium coating , guaranteed for life. Its less pretty then the old coating but should work better

That header is so sexy!

Hybrid booster

Brian slowe and mike wah built some cool stuff for this car.

I am also trying to get another oil pan like Brian made- huge capacity , highly baffled aluminum. For the race car.

I had a very odd pulley noise coming from the engine bay of my TIII Rampage last weekend, it's been getting louder and louder. Turns out the belt 'guide' rings on the exhaust cam gear had both become loose and they rotate and squeal at various RPM's. Really annoying but there is not much I can do about it without some disassembly. You have the same aftermarket adjustable cam gears so you might want to see if they're loose while you have things apart. That is an awesome header

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Hybrid booster

Blue car is buttoned back up. Put 100 miles on it today.
    New exhaust Manifold gasket (old one was leaking) makes the boost much smoother n more predictable.
    Going to run to track tomorrow, do a couple laps and see how we go. No leak from the head repair , nor from the new freeze plugs.
    Fingers crossed.

Hybrid booster

Great fun at the track. As per normal car gets more attention then all the others put together. The flame shooter on down shift gets a lot of comments as well. Head and freeze plugs showed no sign of leaking.

But the tranny , where Consulier modified the gear selector at the tranny is pissing fluid when in 5th gear. They changed the a555 gear selector from back to front and welded on a rod that appears to have a non-serviceable bearing. I think the rod will need to be cut off, cover removed, sent to machine shop for bearing and to re-weld the rod perfectly straight. I believe mine is not straight , and therefore not sealing well. Belly pan covered in fluid after the first run.
    Also had fuel injector seals leaking raw fuel. Quit after that for safety/ fire concerns.

Handling was great , brakes great ,
    The car seems to really like low tire pressure. Handled best when i started at 26 psi all around.

Pictures to follow.

turbo addict

Sweet!!

Hybrid booster

Had to re-route breather from catch can, was not venting well. This way it can vent through the engine cover opening.

How can you call this car ugly

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Excellent!

Can't tell, is there suction on the breather from the lowpressure side now before the turbo intake side or just pure VTA?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Found a fuel leak in the car. The vents from tank , thru the bulkhead, had no hoses and with full tank and hard cornering was spilling fuel. Injector o-rings replaced.

Back track tomorrow
    Gonna run tranny as is tomorrow, then we are gonna take a stock gear selector and fab up a couple new consulier style gear selectors.

Hybrid booster

Did I ever tell you guys about my luck??

At track , 2 laps in and then -

Car cuts out at boost. Ecu shuts down engine , get towed off.

Waste gate explosion, all 8 bolts gone!! Several sheared off. Waste gate cooked inside.
    And it was just apart and re torqued etc when manifold was off.

Hybrid booster

It appears that there are 2 fittings to run coolant to this waste gate , but it was never plumbed that way. Any thoughts on that ??

It's optional. I have the same wastegate and haven't had issues, but I'm also not running 25psi.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Yeah i did some research , it says due to smaller size it dissapates less heat. And "under prolonged boost ,in extreme applications it requires coolant plumbing". It may also involve redesigning the headers etc i dont think they get adequate cool air around them and they are so close to many parts that have so far already been cooked.
    I am leaning towards quitting useing this car on the track, and just wait and use the red car.

It seems like a lot of this was built for the 1/4 mile and for show. Not for prolonged "go"
    The back straight at pbir is longer then a 1/4 mile and it is done at WOT ,every lap is only 1:30 secs. I am leaning towards installing an exhaust temp guage before throwing in the towel

As you guys have seen mosler added several additional air ducts to blow fresh air onto the turbo, the intercooler and the manifold. Some of these ran 12v blower fans to actively push air.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    It appears that there are 2 fittings to run coolant to this waste gate , but it was never plumbed that way. Any thoughts on that ??

Is there another coolant port on the backside in the pic? I think i almost see it. Is there clearance enough for a 90° fitting, or anther banjo type fitting?
    Did any of the racecars get header wrapped?
    It appears though you probably will have to do everything they did with the racecars, in order to have a reliable streetcar that you are racing.
    They determined the need for these cooling ducts somehow, either proactively, or reactively.

But even though you might have to modify the car further for your particular racing pursuits, you are starting off with clearly one of the nicest builds in a very exclusive ownership community. I enjoy knowing that you are really dedicated to taking good care of this car, and pushing it to new levels.
    Kudos for that!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Going to also heat wrap entire headers. Plumb the coolant ports. Run less boost and primarily switch over to street use as red car build moves on

On a positive note, 3 hours at rossion and i found 2 of the consulier specific tranny shift selectors.
    Note the nut is welded to the rod. Must be cut off to service the seal. My seal is leaking terrible in 5 th gear.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast