Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 16v continued

Hybrid booster

Re: 16v continued

Very cool!

Hybrid booster

I am hoping not to jinx myself but....
    I have driven the blue car 2k miles since June.
    The only setbacks were the faulty temp sensor and the cracked header.

I did the recall function on the tach. The majority of those miles were at 4.3k rpm , the highest was 6.8k. Running 15 - 20 psi.
    The engine has been running great. The tranny as well. I feel like the tranny linkage is kind of " breaking in" , it is far less notchy and hard to engage into gear.

Question for all the T3 people - what type of maintenance schedule should I have based on this type of driving? What kind of longevity should I expect?

Thanks again for your input.

Ps I took Johnl 's advice and have been doing weekly runs on rt 33.
    I am pretty sure they filmed the Leno's garage Mustang gt350 episode on this road.
    Great part is - as John said- you have great visibility of the road ahead, and can drive full on race track style - using both lanes, late apex's , full throttle out of the turns .
    And be confident no one is coming the other way.
    Super super fun, 100 miles of twisty road .

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Heading to Willowsprings this weekend , then back to Florida.
    I am going to miss the roads out here.

turbo addict

You've been spotted enjoying those roads too. Skip to the 6 minute mark for the good stuff

Hybrid booster

Thats hilarious! And I must say it does sound good going by.....
    His reaction is classic!!

Garrett booster

Still puts a smile on my face every time these cars get that reaction!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Still puts a smile on my face every time these cars get that reaction!
    Me too. I love when it stops people in their tracks. Priceless!

And it does sound awesome going by!

turbo addict

What!? WHAT!? *slow mo* wwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttt tttttt!!!!!!!??????????

That looked like a straight race car! (basically.....yeah!)

Hybrid booster

His reaction is so funny.
    Who was first to identify it? I am guessing it was someone from here.

I have to admit I re-sent it to a lot of friends. Thanks again GLHNSLHT2

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

What kind of event at Willow, big track? I gotta admit, I love the primitive nature of willow, S's thru turn 5, wide open sweeper thru 9 Also gotta admit, I hate the primitive nature of Willow. I swear they haven't put a single dollar into upgrades in the 30 years I've been going. lousy concessions, even worse bathrooms, car destroying boulders 10' feet off track...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    What kind of event at Willow, big track? I gotta admit, I love the primitive nature of willow, S's thru turn 5, wide open sweeper thru 9 Also gotta admit, I hate the primitive nature of Willow. I swear they haven't put a single dollar into upgrades in the 30 years I've been going. lousy concessions, even worse bathrooms, car destroying boulders 10' feet off track...
    You ought to run Waterford Hills... 10' off the track you're into the fence... That was one of the big warnings we got this year at SDAC, that track is not forgiving of screw ups...

Still, it was an absolute blast. My first time ever running a road course. With better wheels/tires, and a little more power, I could see myself getting into that... Guess I need to start gathering pieces to duplicate the engine in the Scamp for the Daytona...

Uh oh, here I go again....

Hybrid booster

@ 2.216VTurbo-
    You were dead on about willow springs. Did 1 track day in Gtp, and 1 in a friends Miata. Blue car did great. Was fast , and so easy to drive at high speeds. Did not get as light in the front as I expected. On the roughest asphalt it got a little squirrelly at high speeds.
    For those that don't know it , Willowsprings is called " the fastest road in the West" . Its insanely fast , and equally insanely poorly maintained. So you can hit 150 in the Consulier, take turn 8 at WOT , and just as likely hit a pothole as not.
    Literally ever inch of the track has tire tracks going off into the dirt , even the straights!( there are no curbs , nor paved run offs)

It reminded me of after the Zombie apocalypse. A crazy ghost town feel.
    Note the Ford graveyard. I counted 10 el camino's.

Will post pictures of the Consulier when I get them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I bent a rear control am and trashed an expensive wheel on my 2005 SRT6 slamming into a basketball sized boulder that *shouldn't* have been 20' off of the racing line. I've sworn off Willow since. BTW, your front strait speeds will be +20MPH over WSR at the Fontana Auto Club Speedway if you get a chance to run there. If you've never been 10/10ths on a track with 17degree banking, it's an experience! SpeedVentures (my favorite 'on track experience' company) runs there often.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yep, turn 8 through 9 is a spooky fast right right and there are bumps out there that will bottom your left front bump stop, provoking front end slide/rotation.

Nice pics at Wolf's on 33. Did you get over to Hudson Ranch Road (formerly Cerro Noestre) ? If not, you really should before Florida.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

boostaholic

150!? Nice.. I've bent a wheel there too.
    MinivanRider

When my MC friends do track days at Willow, as AJ says, I don't do the "big track" but I will if they're doing "Streets of Willow" You meant to say, Rancheros in that graveyard.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Hybrid booster

Yeah that was a bad mistake. Good thing this is not a Ford forum.

You've probably driven by "The Place," that bar/restaurant on Hwy 33 in Ventucopa. Over the weekend I camped there with some Velocette guys and come Sunday AM we rode a loop - 33 to 166 to Hudson Ranch Road (aka Cerro Noestre) to Pine Mountain Club and back by way of Lockwood Valley.

A friend who was there just bought Buell XB9S which he let me ride, not this particular one; his is black/silver, 5000 on the clock. He couldn't get me off of it. What a hoot! Cornering fool. Rode the whole loop.

Chassis is modeled after a TZ250. 52" wheelbase, 21* rake, superlight wheels, 385 pounds dry, 984cc Buell modified HD Sportster, 75 horse, dry sump oil in swing arm, gas in frame, giant air box. It's 2/3 scale, Feels like a 450 Ducati single; comfortable sit up naked bike; you don't see the headlight/front end in your peripheral vision. Short.

It is so responsive that it goes there without thinking. Best handling bike I EVER rode. I don't understand reviews that knock that perimeter rotor front brake; the thing was faultless; plenty strong, not that Cerro/Lockwood are super demanding on brakes. My only handling complaint is that the fork/brake had a bit too much dive/bite on speed correction trail braking; too touchy on the initial light squeeze. Fixable fault.

The thing was giggly fun. Perfect for low altitude fly by of Cerro/Hudson Ranch. Flat wide rheostat power band, forget the gearbox, leave it in 3rd and concentrate on cornering speed, fast in fast out, throttling it out to the edge. Didn't go so fast or get so familiar with it that I could over steer it with that torque but I know that that action is just a couple of rides away. Engine is sneaky fast, speedo easily swings past a hundred and without trying I saw 120.

Not only is it a marvel of collectible one man design, it is truly competent; I want one to the point of selling something to make room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perimeter Rotor.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	61625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007 XB9R red silver.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	61624  
    Last edited by johnl; 10-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Hybrid booster

Went to Sebring this weekend , was at Palm beach international a couple weeks ago.
    While at palm beach the coolant line from block to turbo melted. It was a stainless hose with additional insulation around it. It was running too close to the header. The rubber inside the hose was toasted.
    We re-routed it , and tried one of those " boy-racer" looking turbo blankets.

At Sebring , it all went smoothly. Also had brand new Toyo R888r tires on (225/45/16 on all 4 corners)
    Tire rack did not heat cycle them , so I took it easy the first 2 sessions.
    Last 2 , I went at it a bit harder. In the pictures i will leave it up to you to decide who I had passed and who was trying to pass me!

I can drive the car much faster left foot braking. Sebring, for me, requires a lot of shifting. So rather then shift clutch-less ,I went back and forth - left foot brake and clutch , right always on throttle. Trying to not to put too much wear on gearbox.

All told I am excited to get the race car going , and wont worry about using the clutch at all!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Pictures look good, but i bet it looks great real-time slinging around the course!
    We need video!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast