Thread: L body Rear Axle - Long Shot

L body Rear Axle - Long Shot

I've asked the guys that I know are local and there aren't any in the yards that I've checked. Looking for the rear axle that will fit an L body. I have one on the blue car, but really don't want to pull anything like that from that car unless I have no other choice. I can weld the problem, but would prefer to pull it and fix it properly.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: L body Rear Axle - Long Shot

Jon, I have Jim Reeves rear axle from his Omni. I know I'm up in Akron, but your welcome to it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Man if I didn't need it ASAP and it could be gotten easily, I'd take you up on it. I may just get this one welded up like I was thinking, but a stock one would be best to swap out. Hoping there is someone on the board close by that I haven't met yet who has something. I may start looking for cars sitting around that could be donor cars. :P
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I knew it was a long shot being up here. Hope someone comes through to help you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Man I know. If I had some time and money to come get it I would. I need to come back up there for work again, not sure when that will be though. Pulling this apart right now to assess the damage.

Aaand the damage. Not horrible considering, but REALLY wish I had paid more attention to tightening the bolts, which I'm assuming is why they backed out. I recently replaced the rear axle bushings and most likely loosened everything to lower it down to gain a better shot of removing the bushings and forgot to tighten the bolts. If that isn't what caused this, I will start ALWAYS using thread lock.

Anyone know of a good replacement bolt with a shoulder or will anything long enough grade 8 work? Obviously the width of the shank will need to match that of the shock, but wondering if using a bolt with a shoulder like this is mandatory or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160427_114648.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	58054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160427_114659.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	675.3 KB 
ID:	58055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160427_114713.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	816.0 KB 
ID:	58056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160427_114846.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	58057

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

That doesn't look bad at all. V out the crack a little and weld it back together. You should be able to get a bolt like that from McMaster-Carr. Not sure what metric size it is, but they carry a wide selection of fasteners, and their web site makes it pretty easy to get what you want. They will ship it right to your door.

Not sure the shoulder is super critical, but you should be able to find something close. I checked the parts manual, and it doesn't say what size it is, just calls it a shock bolt...

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    That doesn't look bad at all. V out the crack a little and weld it back together. You should be able to get a bolt like that from McMaster-Carr. Not sure what metric size it is, but they carry a wide selection of fasteners, and their web site makes it pretty easy to get what you want. They will ship it right to your door.

Not sure the shoulder is super critical, but you should be able to find something close. I checked the parts manual, and it doesn't say what size it is, just calls it a shock bolt...
    Thanks for the bolt info. Yeah I was worried when I looked under the car, but after seeing it up close it seems like I could weld it back up and put some more meat against it and tie it better to the axle. Got two offers to have a welder brought over (more or less offers ), so I may end up running a 220 circuit and hopefully repair it without having to remove it. I'll check the bolts on their site to see if I can find something that will work. Worst case I can pull one off the blue car. Eventually there won't be anything left of her...

Hybrid booster

Looks like one might be in Sardis MS if that's not to far from you. It probably doesn't have the sway bar on it but it might get you by.

Davis Auto Salvage, LLC (Sardis)

Listed in car-part for 50 dollars from a 90 Omni

Hybrid booster

Come on down to Georgia and pick up a whole parts car!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5523797036.html

Quote Originally Posted by rgl10 View Post
    Looks like one might be in Sardis MS if that's not to far from you. It probably doesn't have the sway bar on it but it might get you by.

Davis Auto Salvage, LLC (Sardis)

Listed in car-part for 50 dollars from a 90 Omni
    Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Come on down to Georgia and pick up a whole parts car!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5523797036.html
    Haha thanks guys. The one in Sardis is actually pretty close, that may be an option! Thanks for finding it.

I was just in Atlanta too! But couldn't have brought that back with my lady friend. I don't think she would have cared for me to bring a car back with us.

Got a rear axle from an 80 Omni 024. Not sure if it is interchangeable, but let me know if you are interested.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Weld it grind it flat, then weld a doubler on top that is bent so it wraps around the corner and you're done
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by 1983Rampage View Post
    Got a rear axle from an 80 Omni 024. Not sure if it is interchangeable, but let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks man. I plan to fix it and if I can source one close or have the time to pick one up, like yours, I will eventually get a spare. Thank you very much for posting man! You're close enough to make it to SDAC, please come on up!

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Weld it grind it flat, then weld a doubler on top that is bent so it wraps around the corner and you're done
    That's the plan. I will be getting some wire and a receptacle to install and borrow a welder. Two people have offered to let me use a 220v welder, so I need to make provisions for one. I was thinking about how to tie it together and how you're describing it is how I'd like to do it. Hopefully I will be able to do it right and possibly on the other side as well. It's not broken, but I don't want to wait for it to fail.