Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 93 2.4L Shadow Part 2 : Project Shadicorn

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 93 2.4l Shadow Part 2 : Project Shadicorn

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    That would be pretty fun!
    Said all the 3,456,122,456 people that have done it. I don't even turn my head at LS swaps at a car show, they're all the same. BORING!!

turbo addict

I don't even turn my head at LS swaps at a car show, they're all the same. BORING!!
    this is true... but damn that power plant is cheap, can be light, somewhat compact, and makes power way too "easy"...

I've started doing some FEA and so far things are looking good with only minor modifications. I'll be sure to post that up when I'm done with some explanation for those who find it interesting.

In the meantime I was able to get some free metal from work and build an assembly table. Big thanks to Don, one of our welders, for helping get everything perfectly straight and square as this is what I will be basing most of my measurements off of. Getting the car onto the rack was quite an adventure. Since I don't have a car hoist or a jack that can go that high I had to get my MacGyver on with a touch of Missouri red neck. It looks worse that what it was but it was "fairly" stable while performing the feat though I didn't dare go underneath it and only got as close as I had to. With a wall winch over a beam in my garage in the back and the engine hoist up front I was able to get the car far enough off the ground to mount to the rack. I think the pictures will speak for themselves.

Last edited by turboshad; 07-28-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Let me be the first to say Huge Bummer to see you leaving the FWD ranks, as I believe there is So much more to be learned

There, now that I've gotten that out of my system;

Good Luck on the new project Bro!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Let me be the first to say Huge Bummer to see you leaving the FWD ranks, as I believe there is So much more to be learned
    Without a doubt this was was probably the hardest thing to let go of before I made the mental decision to switch as I still had a number of goals I wanted to accomplish with the FWD platform. That being said I realized my time isn't what it used to be and I also have many personal goals I'd like to accomplish while I still have lots of time left in life to enjoy them. Many things I'm doing on this build will be a stepping stone to possible goals later in life. I also think this is going to be hella fun to drive when it's done.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Without a doubt this was was probably the hardest thing to let go of before I made the mental decision to switch as I still had a number of goals I wanted to accomplish with the FWD platform. That being said I realized my time isn't what it used to be and I also have many personal goals I'd like to accomplish while I still have lots of time left in life to enjoy them. Many things I'm doing on this build will be a stepping stone to possible goals later in life. I also think this is going to be hella fun to drive when it's done.
    May you live vicariously through those of us you have helped with our FWD projects. Let our achievements and defeats feel as yours. May you share in the joy of our broken drive trains, and poor 60ft times forever.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    May you live vicariously through those of us you have helped with our FWD projects. Let our achievements and defeats feel as yours. May you share in the joy of our broken drive trains, and poor 60ft times forever.

Don't forget our inability to wheelie. Very, very sad...

turbo addict

Or do forward donuts, or drifting using power....

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    or drifting using power....
    I can do that. It's called on-throttle understeer..
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Amen.

Without a doubt the best turbo dodge benediction I've heard to date, most likely in history.

I did some work with the intake today. Tilted the runners 10° to match the ports better and I thought this made for a cool pic.

Last edited by turboshad; 07-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Hybrid booster

Very exotically awesome!

turbo addict

loose the throttle blade and go barrel valve .

Memphis is only 2 weeks and some change away. Gonna get it done in time? The reality show video crew is on it's way to your place.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    loose the throttle blade and go barrel valve .
    I did research this and my findings were that barrels may show gains in very high RPM applications, like 1500+, but butterflies were the way to go for any normal RPM range. Jenvey did a back to back (possibly biased) and found the butterflies outperformed barrels in all ranges of the RPM. Other sites claim butterflies to be better at part throttle with barrels only having an advantage at full throttle. As much as I want to believe I only need 0% and 100% with no need for a brake pedal this isn't quite realistic. I do find them cool but they are more complex to build and don't seem to give any advantage.

Memphis is only 2 weeks and some change away. Gonna get it done in time? The reality show video crew is on it's way to your place.
    There is no chance this will be done in I4 form, but I did start an LS swap last week that I think should be ready. It was super easy because I could buy everything online and over 2,434,124,174 people had already done it so there was a lot of information.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post

There is no chance this will be done in I4 form, but I did start an LS swap last week that I think should be ready. It was super easy because I could buy everything online and over 2,434,124,174 people had already done it so there was a lot of information.

So easy, even a Walmartian can do it.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/GM-LS-Seri...anual/15083082
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

I've gotten through some FEA and so far things are looking good. I am close to finalizing the front end design which means I can then start building and more importantly machining. Here are some nice colorful pictures of full straight line braking for you to enjoy in pure nerd form.

First is a mesh plot. This is a necessary step in FEA so the computer knows how to segment to part to make its calculations. Each node formed by the triangles will get calculated and assigned a stress and displacement by the solver. This will then allow the generation of rainbows and boring videos to see how your parts will react under load.

Once meshed the FEA solver can do its job and calculate all the values depending on how the part is constrained and loaded. This plot shows the results in terms of the factor of safety. The factory of safety in this case is a ratio of total stress to the yield stress of the material. Simply put anything above a FOS of 1 won't yield and anything below will. This type of plot is quite useful when multiple material types are used such as aluminum and steel in this case. It lets me see how close the whole system is to its given yield strengths. With a straight stress plot I would have to determine and calculate the highest stress areas to see if it is OK in the material it is present in. Another useful feature, though very boring in pictures, is the ability to hide all areas below or above certain FOS values. This lets me see where the stress is starting and watch it "grow" through the part giving distinct stress paths. In this particular plot the scale is from 1 (red) to 30 (blue) to show the FOS distribution through the parts. The test was done with 1250lbf of vertical load and 1250lbf of horizontal load with 1450ftlb of torque from the brake caliper in a clockwise rotation.

This last plot shows the displacement magnified 50 times more visually than real life. The scale shows a maximum total system deflection of 0.039" which is shown in red and gets less as the colors fade to blue. I like these plots to see how the pieces will deform as well as I can see if the deformation is realistic to what I expect to know if I have constrained and loaded the model properly.

Here is a link to what I've been told is a boring video of the displacement happening. It is better to see on a loop cycling in both directions but this is all I got converting out to an avi. and I'm too lazy to edit.

I don't know if the above is interesting to others but I thought I'd try to explain some of the process to those not familiar with it. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them. On a more material note, and probably more interesting to most, I received my wheels and tires and got them mounted. They are 255/40r17 BF Goodrich Rivals on Enkei RPF1 17x10 wheels with an 18mm offset. They have a bit of stretch using a 10" wheel with a 10" tire but this should help get the most traction out of them I can. The first compares the 17x10 Enkei wheel to my previous 215/45r17s, the rest are just to make it look like I'm actually accomplishing something.

Last edited by turboshad; 07-28-2017 at 11:07 AM.

turbo addict

DJ, you are considering full braking at only 100 ftlb of torque provided by the brakes? Just off the top of my head that seems low.

The way I was going to try and figure out the forces for my car was to use expected g-loading, plug the mass of the vehicle back through that to get the forces, power, etc. needed to generate those loads and check the design based on a FOS of possibly 3 or so. I'm surprised you are only using a FOS of 1. That actually has been a big question in my mind for a long time. Especially parts like camber plates and such that you could experience WAY more force than just the weight of the car...I'm thinking situations like in rally where the car is landing from maybe a couple of feet off the ground. Not that *I* plan to rally, but it's the point of having parts that can withstand that abuse that interests me.

What material, size, wall thickness are you using for the pushrods? That's another one I've been bouncing in my head. Last thing you want is to bottom the suspension, then have the pushrod buckle.

Did I mention I LOVE engineering! LOL

LOL, good call on the braking. While writing it I thought that seemed low too. I misread my braking spread sheet as inlb missing a inches to feet conversion in the calculation. Whoops, that's why build threads are a good idea.

As for the FOS I'm not shooting for 1, that is just where the color chart starts as it allows me to visualize areas below my target of 3 if they exist.

I'll get to some material sizing later.
    Last edited by turboshad; 09-02-2016 at 02:31 PM.

turbo addict

Stupid unit conversions....always messing things up!

Interesting you and I were thinking around the same FOS. Makes me feel better about my train of thought.

Keep it up, DJ! You are living my dream pretty much!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast