Thread: 1988 omni 5 lug conversion or glh conversion

Mitsu booster

1988 omni 5 lug conversion or glh conversion

I would like to swap to the glh brakes. What do i need? Obviously finding a glh is very, very difficult now a days. I definitely want to swap to 5 lug because i want to run cragar s/s wheels which are only available in 5 lug. Thanks guys!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1988 omni 5 lug conversion or glh conversion

You may be able to find some GLH or Shelby Charger knuckles for a reasonable price. There are lots of people who have switched up to the P/G/h/J/etc. body knuckles for the 11" brakes. Of course, you couls skip to those if you wanted to stop better too. Either way will be night and day better than the stock stuff.

Garrett booster

if you go that route make sure the wheels you want are available in 5x100 like the glh and most of the other factory 5 lug cars. 5x4.5 bolt pattern (same as most ford and mopar muscle cars) is probably the closest option for the cragar wheels you had your hopes set on. That bolt pattern is possible for an L-body, but difficult to figure out all the right combination of parts to make it work. There are some threads here on the topic, but Im not sure if there is a definite how-to yet.

Mitsu booster

There actually were older ones out there in 5 on 4", but your offset will have the tires past the wheelwell lips.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by LWB View Post
    There actually were older ones out there in 5 on 4", but your offset will have the tires past the wheelwell lips.
    Thats right, early mopar a-bodies (pre-'73) are 5 on 4". I'm not a huge fan of putting wheels that are not the right bolt pattern on cars, even though the 5x4" would be 5x101.6mm. Might not be an issue if you made sure to get the right hubcentric rings to make sure the wheels is perfectly centered on the hub

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streetpirate View Post
    Thats right, early mopar a-bodies (pre-'73) are 5 on 4". I'm not a huge fan of putting wheels that are not the right bolt pattern on cars, even though the 5x4" would be 5x101.6mm. Might not be an issue if you made sure to get the right hubcentric rings to make sure the wheels is perfectly centered on the hub
    I've seen several guys use steel wheels for their slicks which were that size. They were cheap at the time and worked great. Word on the street has it that you just have to be careful the first time you crank down the lug nuts and after that you're good to go.