Thread: lm SC to Smec

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

lm SC to Smec

alright - the time has come to finally convert my 87 SC LM wiring to SMEC. i have, obviously, the entire LM harness pulled from the SC. also, have the entire engine harness pulled from my 89 turbo voyager as well as a 88-89(omni ?) dash harness with the correct bulkhead to fit the voyager smec. Just confirming that it is easier to use the majority of the SMEC harness and fit/cut/trim it into the SC then trying to convert the LM harness to the SMEC ecu wiring. make sense? it would be so nice to use the LM wiring since all the connectors are there for lights, etc as well as being the proper length. it seems people have done it both ways. sorry for the newbie kind of post!!
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: lm SC to Smec

I've done the swap before using an '89 turbo Caravan SMEC harness in my '86 Omni GLH Turbo. I removed the entire original LM harness, and then used the entire SMEC harness and modified it to fit the Omni. I didn't do anything to the Omni's under dash wiring. Instead, I cut the 50-pin male bulkhead plug off the Caravan's harness and got a 40-pin male bulkhead plug from the junkyard and spliced that on so that I didn't have to tear the dash apart. It worked great and fired up first try!

Just be aware that you'll have to find a way to mount all those relays, reconfigure your headlights/turnsignals, change the wiper motor connector, plug the LM wiring hole on the firewall, and shorten some things like the AIS/TPS wiring.

thx. - i figured that would be the route to take.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    thx. - i figured that would be the route to take.
    I'm going over to Sturgis soon for more machine work at RPM. I have my old harness from the '89 Caravan/L-body and/or also a 40-50 pin bulkhead adapter if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    alright - the time has come to finally convert my 87 SC LM wiring to SMEC. i have, obviously, the entire LM harness pulled from the SC. also, have the entire engine harness pulled from my 89 turbo voyager as well as a 88-89(omni ?) dash harness with the correct bulkhead to fit the voyager smec. Just confirming that it is easier to use the majority of the SMEC harness and fit/cut/trim it into the SC then trying to convert the LM harness to the SMEC ecu wiring. make sense? it would be so nice to use the LM wiring since all the connectors are there for lights, etc as well as being the proper length. it seems people have done it both ways. sorry for the newbie kind of post!!
    I was thinking of an LM to SMEC conversion at some point as well. I was at Gary D. house last year and he suggested to open up the SMEC and move the logic part to where the LM is under the dash.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

I have mad respect for Gary D., but I don't think this is something that anybody in their right mind would consider. I COULD be wrong. Dividing the LM/PM wiring to make an SMEC L-body compatible harness sounds like a nightmare to me.

I myself have done this a few different ways. The first time I did it, I converted the '89 Caravan turbo harness for my '85 Omni GLH n/a. Unfortunately it was totaled by a drunk driver before I got done with it (while parked). I then transferred this harness into my newly acquired '86 GLH Turbo. After the aforementioned mods, it worked great and I ran it on a 2.5L TI SMEC because I put a 2.5L TI engine into it.

I also made a custom SMEC harness for a forum member years ago. I started out with an '88 Omni TBI (SMEC) harness, and converted it to Turbo II. Starting out with the Omni TBI harness, I swapped the SMEC connectors with 'turbo' connectors, added the necessary fuel injector wiring (batch fire), and the distributor wiring. It worked well and was a good approximation of the the Mopar Performance Super 60 L-body harness, except it actually had a functional 4-wire O2 sensor.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I converted my '85 T&C wagon from LM/PM to SMEC by using the factory LM/PM harness and building adaptor harnesses.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...car&highlight=

I eventually eliminated the factory LM/PM connectors and just but-connected the SMEC connector harness directly to the factory LM harness.

Port fuel injection basics at www.thedodgegarage.com

Between that and my public library I found all I needed to know.

Garrett booster

We cut off the 50 pin, got a 40 pin, then bought all new pins and crimped on the new terminals so we didn't have to splice almost 40 wires. The pins are available on Amazon.