Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mptune / mpscan update

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: mptune / mpscan update

Quote Originally Posted by streetpirate View Post
    Just to confirm, what is the problem you are having? Even with the generic port it looks like it was communicating ok.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

boostaholic

Here's a google drive folder with all the error files I could get my hands on. I don't think the two text files were refreshed when i started the program with the innovate plugged in. I tried plugging the innovate in after starting both mpscan and mptune and it seemed to work, but if i start mpscan with the innovate plugged in it crashes as soon as the window opens.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jA&usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Here's a google drive folder with all the error files I could get my hands on. I don't think the two text files were refreshed when i started the program with the innovate plugged in. I tried plugging the innovate in after starting both mpscan and mptune and it seemed to work, but if i start mpscan with the innovate plugged in it crashes as soon as the window opens.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jA&usp=sharing

Is mpscan set to use the correct ftdi port in the comport settings option? I'll need to look at the code to see what happens when two or more ftdi cables are attached.

boostaholic

I mean, I assume so? It talks to my LM just fine. I'll look when I get home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    I mean, I assume so? It talks to my LM just fine. I'll look when I get home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    To avoid some conflicts with software i would recommend the following.
    When you attach your laptop to your in-car usb cable only have one of the two programs running (MPSCAN or MPTUNE ). If you are using Win7, it should find the cable and make that the default, as that is what my Win7 laptop does.
    If not, go to settings/com port and select your usb cable com port and save. (You should then see the com port and setting in the lower margin of the MPScan active window.)
    Once that is set, then you can try to open logworks and plug in your usb cable for your wideband. Check MPScan to make sure nothing has got disturbed from doing so. (In that MPScan lower margin the com port should not have changed.)

If all that looks good, start your car and try to record. You of course will have to select your profile/gauge dashboard before you log.

See if that helps.
    When i start MPScan with a bluetooth usb in, the com port automatically selects it. Then when i connect my ftdi cable i have to change the com port to the cable. (This would happen even before the MPSciLink update changes were made.)
    Your conflict could be defaulting to your logworks cable when it is plugged in first, or if it assigned a lower com port number to it.

I hope this might help. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to set this stuff up to use. It geerally works well once you get through the initial setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    Just to confirm, what is the problem you are having? Even with the generic port it looks like it was communicating ok.
    When I click record the program either crashes, says can't connect (try turning key off then on again), or does nothing. I'm running win10. Maybe it's a problem with how windows is managing the com port?

When I click record the program either crashes, says can't connect (try turning key off then on again), or does nothing. I'm running win10. Maybe it's a problem with how windows is managing the com port?
    Did you see post 20? Make sure it says you are connected with the ftdi cable, not a generic table. Do you get any type of error message on the screen when it crashes? If so post it up. What other USB devices do you have plugged in?

Street pirate, send me your layout file, the one that ends with .mpc

- - - Updated - - -

I assume that the key is on or the car is already running?

As per wheming, both programs try to determine what connection you have, as well if they are legitimate. It also has a priority system of picking which one to use if you have multiple connections. Unfortunately, nowadays users may have multiple USB devices plugged in,including Bluetooth, ftdi cables, etc. I am going to have to just make it more detailed so users will have to specifically choose their connection from a list vs automatically choosing it for you. Next release.....

***edit***
    just had a chance to look at the code and port selection. for mpscan, the program first identifies all valid com ports on the computer. then it looks at the com port that is set as the default (in program settings/ com port), compares that com port with the list of valid com ports, and if valid sets the communication type to whatever is on that com port (bluetooth, ftdi, usb generic, rs232, invalid). so you should be able to have various ftdi/bluetooth devices plugged in at the same time and mpscan (and mptune) should use the correct port. you have to make sure that the default port is set correctly (make sure to click save settings when you select the com port). if you are plugging in a usb device in a different usb slot it "may" change the com port number associated with that device. so you need to double check that.

about the only way around this would be to do what innovate, moates and others do and "force" a unique name/serial number. if that would happen i could alway find the correct ftdi cable. however, since users buy their own ftdi stuff that is not possible to do, so i have to be more "lenient".
    Last edited by wowzer; 04-17-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish379 View Post
    I did the update today. I'm running both MPScan and MPTune on an old xp laptop. Everything worked fine before the update but now I get a .net framework error when opening mpscan. I cannot download the version it's telling me I need due to I'm guessing the internet explorer version thats on there is too old and won't load ANY web pages. Data logging is deadbin the water till I can get this figured out. Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks
    i posted a link to the net framework 4.0 in the main mpscan software thread. it is loaded on my dropbox so hopefully you can download it from there.

Garrett booster

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzT...ew?usp=sharing

Heres the mpc file for the layout I was using, but I have tried others and had the same problem. Once again, it's an intermittent problem! I just tried it again, no changes to anything, and magically mpscan was able to communicate with my ecu just fine. I have just been checking it with key on, not running btw

Did you fix the serial number issue? When you have a successful logging session post up the two txt files again.

Garrett booster

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3pQS2FETGpHek0
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...XlKeElRVE1YRTg

text files from after successful log
    I opened up ftprog and it has data in the serial number field

When it has crashed there has been no error message. It's currently working again, so maybe the issue was just with the serial number field.

turbo addict

Late to the party but just got started into logging again and pulled out the old XP laptop and fired it up. Updated MPscan and MPtune. Got the .net framework error at first then downloaded that. Now when I open MPscan I get an error that says "Missing mpsuitecopy.exe" I hit OK and it opens normally. I then open my profile, when I click record It is about a 50/50 chance of the program just closing or I get the communication error. I did find a way around the communication issue, If you open the actuator tests then click "Connect to ECU" and start a test, then click record it works fine until I cycle the key or shut the van off.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Late to the party but just got started into logging again and pulled out the old XP laptop and fired it up. Updated MPscan and MPtune. Got the .net framework error at first then downloaded that. Now when I open MPscan I get an error that says "Missing mpsuitecopy.exe" I hit OK and it opens normally. I then open my profile, when I click record It is about a 50/50 chance of the program just closing or I get the communication error. I did find a way around the communication issue, If you open the actuator tests then click "Connect to ECU" and start a test, then click record it works fine until I cycle the key or shut the van off.
    I have the exe error and haven't experienced any issues with it running, although I haven't run it that long. I did want to ask, where is the 3BAR variable? It's not available when setting up the gauges, only the MAP variable.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

So today I tried logging and had mpscan crash, so I saved the txt files from that
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...G5ka2ZrRzR2YjQ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3Z2c00zT29DSkU

Then I tried again and got the "try turning key off and on again" error and saved those files too
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3hVUzU4WjFDSjQ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...ENzc3YwS0NGdDQ

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I have the exe error and haven't experienced any issues with it running, although I haven't run it that long. I did want to ask, where is the 3BAR variable? It's not available when setting up the gauges, only the MAP variable.
    Look for it near the bottom of the list. I'm guessing since it is an add onto the ecu, it just shows up after the normal list order.

Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    what version does it say you are running? i shut down my ftp server so you may be running an old version.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Look for it near the bottom of the list. I'm guessing since it is an add onto the ecu, it just shows up after the normal list order.

I did, but didn't see one for the LM. Do you see it on yours? What is the value if you do? Maybe my eyes are just getting bad, but it didn't appear in the list. I'm not close to that computer so I can't check for sure. My app has updated a few times in the last couple of days when it's been running, so it should have the latest version/build.

And Morris I'll check my version, which may be the reason I got the same error as shackwrrr and possibly, it's not updating because the version I'm running is looking in the wrong place.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

So today I tried logging and had mpscan crash, so I saved the txt files from that
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...G5ka2ZrRzR2YjQ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3Z2c00zT29DSkU

Then I tried again and got the "try turning key off and on again" error and saved those files too
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3hVUzU4WjFDSjQ
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...ENzc3YwS0NGdDQ
    what specifically did it do when you say it crashed? the program just exited? error message on screen? locked up? if it crashes look for the "mptapperr.txt" file, and if it exists and is the right time/date then post it up.

you can see in both of these instances that the program was unable to make a connection with the ecu (it sent a byte but got nothing back).

i'm going to look at the possibility of going back to the the net framework ver 3.5. seemed to work better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast