Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Failed Smog Check High Nox :(

turbo addict

Re: Failed Smog Check High Nox :(

I don't burn cals so no stock option unless I throw a stock SMEC at it, and injectors, and 2bar, and...
    id seriously do that, im 97% sure your cat is good, if you have a stock smec, inj, and 2 bar, the cost will be nothing but your time, especially if you have a 1 piece intake on there! that, and setting the ignition timing correctly that will eliminate a bunch of things and get you too square one, buying a new cat or cheating other things ONLY if this doesn't work, and don't forget the 91 octane...

boostaholic

cant a stock cal be scaled for 3 bar and injectors?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Eh-hemmmm......

Jesus tap-dancing Christ! Am I on ignore! ;-)
    I know i get the same feeling around here some times- but i probably am

Helps if you tell them what kind of numbers you're looking for and where to point the gun.

turbo addict

cant a stock cal be scaled for 3 bar and injectors?
    ya, but he cant do the tune himself, he would need someone to send him a chip with a stock cal burned on it, and id personally like to see him with a 2 bar and stock as a rock cal to rule that out... and if he has an adjustable fuel regulator, he could just turn the fuel pressure down and leave the plus 20's

Hybrid booster

I'd actually like to see him pass it with the tune and power levels as is. something is off, just need to find it...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    I know i get the same feeling around here some times- but i probably am

Helps if you tell them what kind of numbers you're looking for and where to point the gun.
    I'm mostly busting balls but I thought it was funny when I read "oh there's a test" and I'm like "ya I mentioned it about 10 posts ago."

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    I'd actually like to see him pass it with the tune and power levels as is. something is off, just need to find it...
    Me too. Both Harry and I do our own cals, both of us using 3 bar maps, never concerned about emissions, and neither of us have failed AZ emissions.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I come across this in a another forum:
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/...d_asm_v98.html
    Pay $200 for a 30 year old car and your good to go. Another form of tax from the tax and spend state.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

boostaholic

Is AZ ppm max 613 like we have? Genuinely curious..

His HC is in the single digits which suggests more fuel could be added.

I'm mostly busting balls but I thought it was funny when I read "oh there's a test" and I'm like "ya I mentioned it about 10 posts ago."
    Me too. Both Harry and I do our own cals, both of us using 3 bar maps, never concerned about emissions, and neither of us have failed AZ emissions.
    MinivanRider

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Bottom line is he needs to get the timing set first. Not saying the other things aren't needed and won't help, but how about he gets the basics done first.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

his co is ALSO extremely low, as I suggested very early in the thread, its in the tune, not to say the tune is off for power or fuel mileage, but only for emissions.

hc is raw unburnt fuel, so misfire or incomplete burn, co is from the richness of the mixture, it can be high co and low hc if the engine is still "burning" it, but hc and co usually hang out with eachother...

and this is why I want to see a stock tune in it, to rule the tune out, if it still fails with the stock tune, THEN there is something wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    Is AZ ppm max 613 like we have? Genuinely curious..

AZ is grams/mile. For example my van HC gram/mile is 1.16 and the standard is 3.00. HC gram/mile is 7.14 and the standard is 25.00. NOX is 2.60 and the standard is 4.50.

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Bottom line is he needs to get the timing set first. Not saying the other things aren't needed and won't help, but how about he gets the basics done first.
    Agreed.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I do smog testing/emissions, as said, get the timing set up and retard the cam a few degree's, won't hurt except might save him some money.

I've done the heat gun testing on a cat and never really worked for me. I read the gas's going in and out and see how much it reacts after 1-2 minutes. NOx is kinda of a guess but if everything is good and it still fails NOx, cat is no good. OE cats as mentioned are the best, followed by Walker OBD2 Supercats.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

LOL, I reread your other posts since you were all in a bunch over being ignored, you did say you checked that Harry's cat was 'heating up' you didn't really outline the test or give me some numbers to work with. I sat in the back of the class ya know

I'm planning on trying to smog cert again tomorrow, reset ignition timing, cam dialed back a lil, smaller tires and I'll check for the temperature differential on the inlet/outlet of cat first. I have a couple more hours of wrenching on the Rampage RT manual rack conversion today I'm trying to make some passes this weekend in Fontana at the street legal drags (gotta beat Bakers 11.76), I still need to put the K frame back in still and button things up but that's a separate post with pics that's gonna take time

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    LOL, I reread your other posts since you were all in a bunch over being ignored, you did say you checked that Harry's cat was 'heating up' you didn't really outline the test or give me some numbers to work with. I sat in the back of the class ya know
    Eh-hmmmm......

These cars are very easy to get through emissions, even when modded. I second Gary on the cat. Vic had a turbo car that failed NOX and he insisted the cat was new/good because it was barely used but sat on his shelf for a few years. He brought me the car, I put it on the lift and put my heat gun on it and it wasn't heating up. He put another one on and it passed.
    I didn't post a procedure because I assumed people already know. If you didn't know the procedure you should have asked, "Hey I didn't know there was a testing procedure for the cat. Could you please elaborate?"

Hybrid booster

If this is the torque converter I supplied with the transmission I built for him I believe he'll have to make his own mark on the converter because it's an aftermarket one and didn't come with a timing mark. It was listed for 2.2/2.5/2.0/2.4 and since the 2.0/2.4 didn't have distributors, why spend the money on putting timing marks on them.

I've seen a lot of aftermarket cats have a block of cat material at each end but nothing in the middle so size really doesn't mean anything.
    SL has 3" exhaust.

Hybrid booster

This has been a very interesting thread. Too bad there were no TD's that came with a 3" exhaust, I would look for them.

turbo addict

This has been a very interesting thread
    with the exact same problem you had with your 2.5 SL and boost button cal, just sayin... you barely passed even with a brand new cat, timing retarded 3* and my friend doing an extra long cat pre-heat cycle before test...

I like the cal in your car, but California doesn't...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123