Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed Smog Check High Nox :(

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Failed Smog Check High Nox :(

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    so the number 1 biggest problem is the 2.5, they were equipped from the factory with egr for a reason, they have issues passing nox. so if the egr is not hooked up or not working properly that's a problem.
    Federal 2.5 Turbo I engines have no EGR system.

Agree on the timing. I'd suggest finding TDC and marking the converter with a sharpie so you can set the timing. Have to make sure your baseline is in place and base timing is an important one.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post

Agree on the timing. I'd suggest finding TDC and marking the converter with a sharpie so you can set the timing. Have to make sure your baseline is in place and base timing is an important one.

For sure!! First step for any smog check or any tuning

Hybrid booster

^+1000 on that. ignition timing is going to have the biggest overall effect on NOx

I would not retard the cam however- just set it straight up at "0"

you need a baseline so to speak so you want ignition and cam timing set "neutral" not advanced, not retarded. if it fails after that only adjust one thing at a time, record the results and see if numbers improve. if you start changing multiple things at once you'll get all turned around and create a giant heachache for yourself- Simon can tell you all about that.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    ^+1000 on that. ignition timing is going to have the biggest overall effect on NOx

I would not retard the cam however- just set it straight up at "0"

you need a baseline so to speak so you want ignition and cam timing set "neutral" not advanced, not retarded. if it fails after that only adjust one thing at a time, record the results and see if numbers improve. if you start changing multiple things at once you'll get all turned around and create a giant heachache for yourself- Simon can tell you all about that.
    Just to clarify, I was saying to retard the cam timing a little because he said his adjustable cam gear had been slipping and the timing was off. Plus, he said he didn't have the timing marks. I should have said to set the cam timing in the middle of the adjuster as that should be close to "0".
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

My SL has a 2.5, running a boostbutton cal and using E85. My first test, I had high NOx, I got a 3" cat from FWD, their cat is almost as long as the original cat the car came with, NOx came down, but not enough. I retarded the timing 2* and just passed. Was told you can retard as much as 3*.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

If this is the torque converter I supplied with the transmission I built for him I believe he'll have to make his own mark on the converter because it's an aftermarket one and didn't come with a timing mark. It was listed for 2.2/2.5/2.0/2.4 and since the 2.0/2.4 didn't have distributors, why spend the money on putting timing marks on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 88C/S View Post
    My SL has a 2.5, running a boostbutton cal and using E85. My first test, I had high NOx, I got a 3" cat from FWD, their cat is almost as long as the original cat the car came with, NOx came down, but not enough. I retarded the timing 2* and just passed. Was told you can retard as much as 3*.
    I've seen a lot of aftermarket cats have a block of cat material at each end but nothing in the middle so size really doesn't mean anything.

turbo addict

but we live in cali-fornia, home of the smog natzi's! ive have to convert multiple federal vehicles to cali emissions.

so id put a stock cal in it, set the timing and test the egr...

I've seen a lot of aftermarket cats have a block of cat material at each end but nothing in the middle so size really doesn't mean anything.
    this is true, but its because they are 2 stage cats, one part does nox conversion, the other does hc co...

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    but we live in cali-fornia, home of the smog natzi's! ive have to convert multiple federal vehicles to cali emissions.
    Alan could have a federal van even though he lives in Cali. I re-read his posts and he hasn't confirmed or not if his van has an EGR and if it does if it's even working.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Camshafts with more overlap tend to lower NOx. I believe engines with variable valve timing increase overlap at certain times and eliminates the EGR vavle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

Camshafts with more overlap tend to lower NOx. I believe engines with variable valve timing increase overlap at certain times and eliminates the EGR vavle.
    this is true, most of the new cars actually use variable exhaust timing for egr now...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Sorry, I should have clarified the EGR question, no EGR, Woody is an OR Mini as in Ex Spiva

Yes AJ, same TC I really do like the stall/performance of it so no change there planned. I will get out the dial indicator and add a mark to it tho so I wont have to guess at ignition timing anymore.

I'm gonna set timing to 9' BTDC (max variance allowed in Cali) and run some teeny tires like
    OmniLvr recommended. I think this will get the Nox to a passing grade. If this doesn't work ill spend another $300. on a fresh cat like Gary reccomended. This one is super low miles but is years old. Until this thread I didn't know that sitting on the shelf kills cats Always something to be learned here at TM.com

Prolly will try again on Tuesday.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good stuff I always learn from you guys
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    If this doesn't work ill spend another $300. on a fresh cat like Gary reccomended.
    Actually I'd run an old turbo dodge cat if you have one in good condition, it is what I keep on the shelf.

The factory cats have far more platinum and palladium than aftermarket.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

so is it going to be possible to throw a stock cal computer in it?

boostaholic

I tried the smaller tire thing and it didn't help in my case.

You guys in other states also have a 613ppm max on nox??
    MinivanRider

If this doesn't work ill spend another $300. on a fresh cat like Gary reccomended.
    Eh-hemmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    These cars are very easy to get through emissions, even when modded. I second Gary on the cat. Vic had a turbo car that failed NOX and he insisted the cat was new/good because it was barely used but sat on his shelf for a few years. He brought me the car, I put it on the lift and put my heat gun on it and it wasn't heating up. He put another one on and it passed.

boostaholic

Maybe try a new cat?

Hybrid booster

before spending money on a new cat- check the one you have to see if its working.
    get the car up to operating temp- drive it around for 15 minutes so the cat will have plenty of time to warm up to operating temp. at the end of the warmup drive, dont shut the engine off and get under the car and measure the inlet temp and outlet temp of the cat with an IR thermometer. inlet temp should be at around 400-450 degrees at the inlet and should be 50-75 degrees warmer at the outlet. if you dont have the temp increase between the inlet and outlet that cat is doa.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

^ Great idea, didn't know there was a 'test' for them.

I don't burn cals so no stock option unless I throw a stock SMEC at it, and injectors, and 2bar, and...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

^ Great idea, didn't know there was a 'test' for them.
    Eh-hemmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    These cars are very easy to get through emissions, even when modded. I second Gary on the cat. Vic had a turbo car that failed NOX and he insisted the cat was new/good because it was barely used but sat on his shelf for a few years. He brought me the car, I put it on the lift and put my heat gun on it and it wasn't heating up. He put another one on and it passed.
    Jesus tap-dancing Christ! Am I on ignore! ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast