Thread: Lebaron non working radios

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

Lebaron non working radios

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post radio problems but here goes.
    Both of my '89 Lebaron converts have radio issues. One does not make a sound. The other only has a very hard to hear sound coming from one rear speaker. I'm thinking they may have a common problem since they are similar cars that may have a water issue. (being convertibles) I've connected different speakers and radios. No change. Has to be wires. I understand the amps go bad on the speakers, but not every one of them, at the same time. Normally they'll crackle pop and make weird sounds giving some indication of something trying to get through. I bought both of these cars this way. All I've owned for the last 28 years are about 22 FWD Mopars. This one stumps me though. Is there a wire/wires that are prone to water damage in a 'vert, that may be the culprit?
    Thanks
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

Hybrid booster

Re: Lebaron non working radios

Was the premium sound system with the amplifier available in 89? That could be the cause.

If you're talking a separate amp, these cars don't have anything like that. I've never seen anything like that in an '89.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Hybrid booster

I had a 94 that had the Premium Infinity Sound system that had an amp next to the convertible top pump. Wasn't sure if it was even in the thought processes of the engineers back in '89. Would a radio wiring diagram help at all?

I know the amp you're talking about and the '89's never had anything like that. A radio wiring diagram may help. I believe I have the '89 manual. I'll have to look in to that.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Hybrid booster

Wonder if the remote amp turn on circuit is bad. There is a module in the dash near deck that controls that. Infinity systems in 89 had individual amps on each rear speaker and woofer in the doors. The later 91 or 92 is when they went to the central amp. I can look at my 88 wiring diagram book if you want. It's really hard to find good speakers anymore because the amps are usually bad, or in the two way rears the tweeters are dead, same for the dash tweeters. Really wish I could find a good repair source but every car stereo repair place won't touch them.

turbo addict

Do you have a known good deck? and a known good speaker? Id assume all 4 speakers can fail because Ive bought cars with 4 dead infinity amps. fixing the speakers isn't hard, they have solder joint failures the ones ive seen.

repair info
    http://www.allpar.com/stereo/speaker-repair.html
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

I'd love to find someone who is willing to repair them. I have found the dome tweeters are usually d.o.a. I've heard getting the hard compound they put in the amps is very hard to get off. When these systems are working they are nice considering their age and setup. Just really hard to find working parts anymore.

raccoon, I did use a good deck. I have a bunch of them. As for the speakers. yes I plugged in a known good one. I don't remember a lot of what I tried. This was 2.5 years ago that I messed with the one car. It's my winter beater and the only time I think about the radio is in the winter when I'm going to or from work. I don't really care to try fixing it in the winter. Too many other problems in the summer. LOL But then I bought my '89 TII 'vert and pretty much the same issue except for the faint high frequency music from one rear speaker. I did try another speaker there with no change.

tommyturbo, I've also played with the speakers before so I could try and resolder the joints. Didn't want to mess with the compound and ended up pulling an exact amp off a 5x7 for my door speaker. That's been working fine in the Daytona for quite a few years. When I bought that car, the fronts weren't working. When I had time to work on it, I found one bad speaker on one door and no speaker in the other. I've heard of a lot of people just pulling those out and throwing in cheap speakers from walmart and being perfectly happy. I haven't tried that myself.......yet

When I bought my TC, there was no working radio in there either. The seller didn't know what was wrong. I figured it would be a nightmare since the TC's have a 10 speaker system. Popped in a later model Mopar CD/cassette player. No problems anymore. I wish all my cars had a sound system like that. Every speaker works.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII