Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought my first Turbo Mopar

Hybrid booster

Re: Bought my first Turbo Mopar

the picture you posted above, is that apicture of your car? Or just a picture you found on the internet that had the same engine as yours? I keep looking at that picture and don't see popup headlights, lol

Mitsu booster

Oh sorry it's a picture I found not if my car lol

Hybrid booster

Well that explains a lot, lol.
    But as others said, 1988 did not come with the suck through system, so it would have to be an 87 if it had popup headlights.
    I've owned quite a few GLH Omnis over the years, and you can safely turn the boost up to about 12 without intercooling (Premium fuel required). It'll run pretty well.
    As far as intercooling the suck-through system, unless you want style points for originality, it's probably less work and makes better power to switch to a blow-through setup. I have 4 blow through intakes sitting in my garage if you need one. PM me and we can work out the details.

Mitsu booster

Don't the actual blow through engine have stronger internals than the draw through? Also, I believe I would need more than just the intake right?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CarlyleDaytona View Post
    Don't the actual blow through engine have stronger internals than the draw through? Also, I believe I would need more than just the intake right?
    The 86-88 TI 2.2's had lightweight (LW) rods in them. The early 84-85 turbo motors had a much stronger (beefier) rod, but smaller (10mm) head bolts. Both used the early style block (through 88). Both used cast cranks. Both used Mahle cast pistons. So to answer your question, no the later 2.2 did not have stronger internals, just the opposite in fact, but they did have the more desirable 11mm headbolts. The 89+ Turbo I increased displacement to 2.5 ltrs. These engines used the more desirable common block (CB) block, and much beefier rods. Those castings of HD rods were used in all late TI, TII, TIII, and TIV applications. The TIII rods came with better quality rod bolts. 89+ TI engines still used cast crank, and cast pistons. This engine is clearly stronger than it's predecessor, but displacement is now 2.5 liters and not 2.2 liters.
    Gary Donovan's web site http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ has a wealth of information to read. It is a must read if you haven't seen it. Click on turbo database on left hand column and start reading. See you in about a month (lol)! It is a very good site and should be on every turbo Mopars enthusiasts favorite's tab.
    Yes, there is far more to change than just an intake manifold. Turbo compressor housing, intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, throttle cable, fuel regulator, airbox, upper and lower intercooler hose, pneumatics, turbo coolant return line, wiring changes, valve cover PCV nipple, ECU (logic module), etc. Your power module (computer by the battery) is the same from 85-87. Then if you are going to add factory intercooler, a TII radiator and intercooler assembly with radiator fan and shroud needs to be procured as well. Your exhaust manifold being a 87, will interchange with the later blow through assembly. The earlier exhaust manifolds need slight modification to clear the later intake manifold runners.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 04-04-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Mitsu booster

Wow that was a lot of info thanks man. I'll check out that site for sure. Based on that I think I'll just leave it a t1. That seems like an awful lot of work lol. I'll just install a better exhaust and a better computer. I think that'll be enough

Hybrid booster

The hot bolt on setup, back in the day, was either the Direct Connection intercooler and logic module or the Spearco intercooler w/intake mani setup and Direct Connection intercooler logic module. I had the latter on my 85 Daytona and it made a BIG difference in performance. But it was hard on the 525 tranny, as I had to have it rebuilt from having too much fun. Those items will be hard to come by, so getting a logic module upgrade would be the best for now. Later, when you have the funds, then you can do what 4-l-bodies said.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CarlyleDaytona View Post
    Wow that was a lot of info thanks man. I'll check out that site for sure. Based on that I think I'll just leave it a t1. That seems like an awful lot of work lol. I'll just install a better exhaust and a better computer. I think that'll be enough
    Yeah good place to start. Might consider some colder plugs too, as it will be more prone to detonation. RN9YC work fine and are cheap. You should be able to run about 12 PSI. Without intercooling, that is about where everyone runs into detonation with available pump fuel these days. Keep it from rattling, and it will live a long life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12