Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first Turbo Mopar

Mitsu booster

Bought my first Turbo Mopar

Bought my first turbo mopar a couple of days ago. A 1988 Charger Daytona Pacifica. It's incredibly clean, no rust on the body at all anywhere, not even under the side pieces. Unfortunately it's a draw through system so I'm not sure all of what I can do. I'm not going to spend a lot of money on it, it'll be my daily as I have a garage full of classic Chevys to restore/finish but I want to give it a bit more pep in it's step. I'm not really knowledgable on turbo cars or mopars really for that matter but I've done a lot of reading here and at other places as well. First, the tune up has been completed and a new clutch has been out in. I plan on getting a stage 2 I believe computer, the one that allows 15 lbs of boost? And an obvious exhaust will be done, probably 3 in straight pipe. I'll most likely get a manual boost controller as well just to be safe. Now my main question is.. With it being a draw through set up and not a blow through, can I run an intercooler over water meth injection ? Some places say yes.. Some say no so I'm not sure. Also, can I run it on. E85 as it is very plentiful here and can give an advantage in performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Bought my first Turbo Mopar

Welcome

boostaholic

Anything over 12psi you want an intercooler in my mind. I would not run 15psi on a draw through. Too high a chance of detonation taking the pistons out.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do you have any pictures of the car? If it's an 88 it should be non-intercooled blow through.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It is possible but not advisable to run ~14-15psi with no intercooler. Depends on your fuel octane and weather conditions but I personally wouldn't do it. I've run into knock counts at that boost even WITH an intercooler and i once accidentally ran a log setup up to 16psi and immediately detonated a huge chunk out of the headgasket.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Welcome to the site. A draw thru would be an '87 Pacifica, a friend used to have one. Whereas an '88 would be a blow thru. You can go to BoostButton.com and order a custom cal to run E85. You will need to fill out the online form for the cal. Not recommended to run more than 9/10 psi without an intercooler. With E85, you could luck out and hit 12 psi, but like Vigo said, you could loose a chunk of head gasket. In either case you've come to the right place for info for your Turbo Dodge.

Mitsu booster

- - - Updated - - -

Really? It looks like a draw through but I could be wrong.. If it's not I'll feel silly but if it's blow through that'll be even better.. This isn't my picture but it's this motor..
    Last edited by CarlyleDaytona; 03-28-2016 at 10:35 PM.

boostaholic

all 88 is blow through I believe.

Mitsu booster

I guess the picture didn't load... It looks like the turbo goes into the bottom of the throttle body then that goes into the air box. I tried to upload a pic but it didn't work. If you google turbo 1 dodge 2.2 it's the first image that comes up with the silver top box that says fuel injection on it
    Last edited by CarlyleDaytona; 03-28-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Hybrid booster

That is definitely not an 88, it doesn't have pop-up headlights, so I'm leaning towards 86.
    Starting in 1987, Daytonas got pop-up headlights.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

That's a draw through TI. Nothing wrong with it, you can still make some more power with a low restriction exhaust and a Logic Module upgrade.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    That's a draw through TI. Nothing wrong with it, you can still make some more power with a low restriction exhaust and a Logic Module upgrade.
    Yep. Install a more free flowing exhaust and up the boost a bit. It'll still be fun around town.

Mitsu booster

It has the pop up headlights

Mitsu booster

Can you run an intercooler safely with a draw through? Or e85

turbo addict

Welcome to the site. Just to be clear, your vehicle is not a Charger, that is a L-body (Omni, Charger & Rampage), but rather a Daytona, yours being the Pacifica trim level. They are referred to as G-body's. in 87 and 88, they also had a base model, and the HP Shelby Z. In a nutshell, the Pacifica had more creature comforts while the Shelby Z if ordered with manual transmission, came with the TII intercooled powerplant, along with more firm suspension. Look on the drivers door sticker to get the date of manufacture. 87 model year turbo I would be pull through (log). If it is an 88 model year vehicle, it would be a blow through style turbo. When I Googled turbo 1 dodge 2.2 the first image that appeared for me was a blow through (all black airbox). For me, the 4th image was a pull through or draw thru with the silver "fuel injection" airbox.
    You certainly can intercool a log manifold (draw or pull thru). It is just not quite as easy, and most will tell you the performance gain isn't as great. Obviously running E-85, you would need to run a custom calibration.
    Don't believe the "in theory" dangers of running a intercooled log manifold car. I've intercooled my GLHT between 28-29 years ago and never had any WOT uncontrolled accelerations. I am posting a couple pics of 85 (modified) intercooled log manifold and 86 dead stock log manifold engines. Middle picture would be a 88 blow thru non intercooled turbo I application.
    Hope this clears up at least what you have. Once again, welcome to this site.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1255.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	57788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5945.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	57790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Todd's 16K 86 GLHT engine.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	57789  
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 03-29-2016 at 12:16 AM.

turbo addict

Just saw your picture. It looks like you have 85 or 86 Daytona. I don't think the Pacifica trim level started until 87. The white emissions tag underhood should tell you what year vehicle you have. As will the radiator core tag VIN #. The 85 will have a 4323287 casting on the drivers side front of cylinder head, while the 86 will have 4105782. What makes you think yours is a Pacifica trim vehicle?
    Todd
    Hey, before we get side tracked, is this a picture of your vehicle, or Google image photo?

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the info.. It has definitely helped a lot

Mitsu booster

It has the badge on the back that says daytona pacifica. My motor looks just like the one in that last picture

boostaholic

post a vin or check the door label drivers side. Looks like an 86 to me.

Mitsu booster

I can post pics tomorrow as it is midnight here.. It looks like the last motor posted in the post with the engine pics.. It has the pop up headlights and a pacifica badge on the back. Sorry I don't have more info right now but I can tomorrow/later in today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast