Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 84 GLH Autocross Build- Pic Heavy

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 84 GLH Autocross Build- Pic Heavy

Wow, that's a deal.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by adamn View Post
    I have a small update! Got my new slicks for the season. Went with a taller tire this year, 22.5in vs 20in, in hopes that my gearing will be a little better. Hoosier had a sale going so I got these for $90 each. $400 with shipping for $1200 in tires is a good day.

What class are you running?
    Any reason you didn't go with DOT Hoosiers?
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Quote Originally Posted by turboshadow View Post
    What class are you running?
    Any reason you didn't go with DOT Hoosiers?
    Currently the car is in E prepared, but only because of the slicks. I don't run DOTs because I don't have the budget. Normally I run take offs. This is the first set of new tires I have had since shortly after I bought it. I don't PAX well, but all I really care about is having fun and staying ahead of my friends.

Ya I understand I use to run a Shelby Charger in SMF I had take off 275's R6 on the front.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

I have gotten a lot of pressure around here lately from my SCCA region to get DOT Hoosiers and run SMF. They seem to think that with the blower and some seat time I could mix it up with the K swapped Hondas at nationals. I guess we will see with time, but I think both car and driver have a ways to go with that.

Here is a question for the experts. A few weeks back when i was pulling the front suspension off of the car I heard the sound of fluid hitting the floor. I look under the car to see that the driver's side axle had pulled out when I let the spindle hang after pulling the coilover out. Is this normal? Is there no sort of snap ring or something that holds the axle in place? Or does my tranny need some work?

turbo addict

Is there no sort of snap ring or something that holds the axle in place?
    Nope, just held in place by having all the parts bolted into place.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Nope, just held in place by having all the parts bolted into place.
    Good to know. Thanks!

I kind of fell off of this due to having my first kid, but I am back now! The first parts I need to get the car back on the ground for race season arrived today! My BC coilovers arrived directly from BC!! I am still waiting on the special top hats and whatever other parts that Rich includes in the kit, but things are starting to come together. The coilovers are just gorgeous, and I can't wait to get them on the car and start testing and tuning!

The fronts, originally for an srt4

The rears, originally for a Mitsu Lancer

Oh lordy. It's beautiful.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great log. Keep it coming
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Great story/build!!

Subscribed.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I finally have all the parts to finish the install of the new coilovers! I was able to get the fronts on tonight, and I am hoping to finish with the backs and align the car tomorrow evening, so it can race Saturday. Here are some pics of the adapters on the coilovers and the setup on the car.

Old vs new. This was before I had adjusted the height, but even maxed out I think the car will be about 1/2 an inch lower then it was before.

And mounted! Rich did a great job on getting me the parts and they all look great. Anyone that is thinking of trying to get a good modern coilover setup could do no better then going through him. I was probably a bit of a pain in the --- through the whole thing, as I am very impatient, and he handled it all great!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Rich just set me up with some custom plates for RedBox as well. Top notch guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016042395154336.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	58284  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Well, bad news. What I thought was just a punctured slick turned out to be a cracked rim.

I am not sure if that will do me in for the season or not. I have been debating on just buying one new 13in rim, or moving to a 15. The 15 will give me a better tire selection, and will also give me the ability to run a taller tire that can give me a longer 2nd gear (good for autocross). However the 13in replacement is a whole lot cheaper, which is a good thing. Plus my new slicks really look the business on the 13s!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Can't you just install a tube in that rim and call it good? I run them in my drag slicks...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Or, weld it? and, then maybe run a tube too for assurance.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Mitsu booster

Very cool

Stick with the 13" wheel size!

turbo addict

DO NOT run those wheels anymore. This is a fatigue crack, meaning they've been through enough flexing to work harden the metal and now crack. There's nothing that can save them that I am aware of. Possibly weld it, balance it, send them for chryo treatment after being tested for more cracks. That *might* be ok, but I would consult with a chryogenics company first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast