Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: key tumbler, disassemble?

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Re: key tumbler, disassemble?

I've been carrying two keys on two rings for years. I have more than one vehicle. I use the kind of ring that connects to a second ring. The main ring has my house key and other keys I use, including the door key to my Daytona. The smaller ring has (which I interchange depending on the vehicle I'm driving) has just the ignition key (and key fob if alarm or remote doors).

I would never carry a ring that has two ignition keys & key fobs, I would then always be grabbing the wrong key to start the vehicle. Once ya get used to carrying two rings, it just becomes a way of life. It is so easy to keep my key rings in the same place near my home entry door. When leaving I pick up my key ring, and if I'm driving something different than last time, I unsnap the the ignition ring that I used last and snap on the ignition ring I'm using this time.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I just went through this on my '98 Buick Regal. I bought a new ignition lock cylinder from Rock Auto, and brought that and the original lock cylinder to a local locksmith. He disassembled it and rekeyed it so that it matched my door lock cylinders just like stock. I forgot the price, but it was very well worth it. He said the aftermarket RA lock cylinder pins/discs were not manufactured exactly like OEM, so he had to do some fine grinding on them to make it work after determining the stock 'code' and test fitting a couple times.

I've rekeyed/remastered a ton of Kwikset deadbolts at work (apt maintenance), but in this situation I was more than happy to pay a professional.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What if you don't have a key...how to take it apart then?
    Have to destroy switch to get the lock cylinder out. I will try to find out if the tumbler cage can be removed without key. Key doesn't help with removing that end piece

Btw, my Duster's lock cylinder looks like It has pins that can be knocked out of the end piece but I can't get it out of the switch. Hanging up on something. It's currently installed on my daily so I can drive "secure"

Interesting note, found found a jeep owner on youtube keying all his vehicles to the same key.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12