Thread: building a rwd daytona

Mitsu booster

building a rwd daytona

im looking for pic's and if anyone has any plans to build the frame work.I was given a very clean 87 Daytona that was gutted but all parts are there but motor and trans. I have a built 360 and 4spd,to put in it.Any help would be great.dodgeman137@yahoo.com thanks

turbo addict

Re: building a rwd daytona

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

It's on the other forum, but here is a thread with lots of pictures. This guy does amazing work.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11...e-daytona.html

Hybrid booster

Kenny Exline at www.exlinecustomauto.com used to build them. Last time I talked to him he wasn't planning on making any more, but you could always ask. He does excellent work.

Here's the build thread on my car. Almost the same as a Daytona.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ght=FRAME+TIES
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Kenny Exline at www.exlinecustomauto.com used to build them. Last time I talked to him he wasn't planning on making any more, but you could always ask. He does excellent work.

hello gearhead24-7,just got done looking at your pics of the build very nice.did you build the rear frame and the front frame what rack did you use I have a sweet rack from my dirt stock car that im going to try also thinking about putting a quick change rearend in it.I see you used a 9" did you have it narrowed.My car is 1987 shelbyZ,was given to me it was gutted no motor,and front seats are gone.My plan for this car is sleeper,i have a 440 for it and a 727 trans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post

hello gearhead24-7,just got done looking at your pics of the build very nice.did you build the rear frame and the front frame what rack did you use I have a sweet rack from my dirt stock car that im going to try also thinking about putting a quick change rearend in it.I see you used a 9" did you have it narrowed.My car is 1987 shelbyZ,was given to me it was gutted no motor,and front seats are gone.My plan for this car is sleeper,i have a 440 for it and a 727 trans. thanks luckyrat.

Hybrid booster

Thanks, it was quite a project. Kenny fabricated the front crossmember and the rear subframe to my specs. It uses a Mustang rack, just because they're cheap and readily available. The rear end is actually a stock 8 3/4 Mopar out of a 73 Challenger, I'm just using spacers to change the bolt pattern until I have the new axles made.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Mitsu booster

by chance do you still have the specs or the plans for the rear frame.

Hybrid booster

It was just sketched out on a piece of notebook paper, I don't think I kept it.

Mitsu booster

starting to round up the stuff I need to start on my 87 Daytona,I got lucky and found a new complete factory RWD conversion kit it has every thing hubs,rotors,calipers,frame,trans mount,motor mount frame,I have got a 8.25 rear dif.it is 54" between backing plates,i know it is small but the thing can be built up you can use the compete disc brake assembly from 92 jeep gran,it will bolt right on and it is 5x4.5 on the axles,can also use the sure track pos.unit I will start posting pic's as soon as I get it in the shop

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

And so it begins.........

Hybrid booster

Nice build.

Mitsu booster

My factory rwd conversion kit is being shipped now I can't wait to get it I got the deal of a life time the complete factory rwd conversion kit with everything for $800 all brand new I will post pictures when I get it to my shop

Garrett booster

That's an amazing steal! $800 is a good buy!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Pics when you get a delivery!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

got pics on my phone im trying to load them

Mitsu booster

been long time gotten busy with work and have not been able to work on my project. just sold my house and getting things packed up for the big move to Klamath falls my son and I are going to start building the front frame to convert to v8,i have the complete kit to go off of and im just wondering if anyone will be interested in buying frames after we start building them, we will be selling them painted black or for extra money we can powder coat them in colors,I also have list of parts for the hubs, spindles,rotors.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luckyrat View Post
    been long time gotten busy with work and have not been able to work on my project. just sold my house and getting things packed up for the big move to Klamath falls my son and I are going to start building the front frame to convert to v8,i have the complete kit to go off of and im just wondering if anyone will be interested in buying frames after we start building them, we will be selling them painted black or for extra money we can powder coat them in colors,I also have list of parts for the hubs, spindles,rotors.
    I was just saying to myself someone should reproduce those Mopar v8 conversion kit K-frames in tubular chromoly steel or whatever appropriate material.
    I think you'd fine some interested folks.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by luckyrat View Post
    I may not be able to buy one in the near future, but would like to know details and potential price point

turbo addict

See if you can improve on the MOPAR design like Kenny Exline did. The MOPAR conversion kit leaves a bit to be desired for suspension geometry, especially the Ackermann due to the relocation of the steering.