Thread: Valve guide locks

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Valve guide locks

Anyone have a source for getting these? I would like the small amount of insurance they give especially since the guides were replaced?
    Thanks,

Bryan
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Valve guide locks

Too late but I like flanged or snap ringed guides for that reason.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

The guides I have in the head already have the groove but did not come with the lock rings. Hence my question.
    Bryan

If the grooves are proud of the aluminum, then you still might be able to slip the rings on, or not?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

It hasn't been run yet, so it can be done. However, I don't have them and am looking for some. Never used them on anything before, but I know once the guides are changed they can drop, mainly on the exhaust side.
    Bryan

You might be able, on the side of each, to lightly tap with a sharp center punch just to raise a proud spot, or two, that hopefully would catch a dropping one, in the unlikely event . . .

Each guide, being solid in the head, and if you had a partner press and "buck" each with something well shaped and good and heavy before your careful strike, then likely OK.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    You might be able, on the side of each, to lightly tap with a sharp center punch just to raise a proud spot, or two, that hopefully would catch a dropping one, in the unlikely event . . .

Each guide, being solid in the head, and if you had a partner press and "buck" each with something well shaped and good and heavy before your careful strike, then likely OK.
    Good idea John. I will look into this. I've staked other items to secure them, but it never crossed my mind on the guides.
    Bryan

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    It hasn't been run yet, so it can be done. However, I don't have them and am looking for some. Never used them on anything before, but I know once the guides are changed they can drop, mainly on the exhaust side.
    Exhaust guides can and do drop on factory guides too Bryan. I've seen plenty of them dropped on cylinder head teardowns. Did you use steel-iron or manganese-bronze guides? Most bronze replacement guides will have a stop ring built in. The bronze guides can be run a bit tighter, which will increase the life of valve job. I don't really get why your machinist wouldn't have noticed the stop ring groove before installing and resolved issue then? Installed with stop, proper installed depth is then a breeze.
    Todd

I replaced them. They are at the proper height, just that they didn't come with the stop rings and thought they should have. Thus, why I was asking if anyone has a source for the rings.
    Bryan