Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with wheels/tires please!

Hybrid booster

Re: Help with wheels/tires please!

At this point I'll probably keep posting my activity on this project for those who are interested in following. I may have a couple more questions here and there, but it looks like I know what needs to be done now.

I've found these rims, brand name of "White Diamond", and I can NOT find any information on them really. No reviews, quality information, nothing. But they have a +35 offset instead of +45 and that is PERFECT for what I need. I was reeeeeally tempted to get the white ones, as the Lancer is white with black trim (more blacked out than OEM paint scheme, however). I just can't bring myself to spend that much money and end up finding out that the whites aren't even close to the same shade as each other. I'll probably be going with the black/machined version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-5-White...VV0Tpk&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17x7-5-White...xVWP56&vxp=mtr

I personally really like the looks of these rims for an H-body.

-Zach

Garrett booster

FYI, on my 91' G-Body, I'm running 17x8 5Zigen wheels with a +35mm offset and 245/40/17 tires (full Koni/Eibach susp.)

Finding the right wheels proved rather challenging, I wanted something lightweight with all the right specs, I discovered the Audi TT has our same bolt pattern and desired off-set.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    I was able to run 10's with some small diameter steel lug nuts that seat further inward and got full engagement. Regular lug nuts would not fully engage as the threads did not begin right at the ends of the nut and they didnt seat far enough in the wheel. IIRC they were the inexpensive autozone zinc plated shorties that ended up working for mine.
    I used them on my pontiac. You want conical seat with extended shank/thread.

Garrett booster

They look nice. I am somewhat in the market for new wheels for my 87 Shelby Z.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 91DSX View Post
    FYI, on my 91' G-Body, I'm running 17x8 5Zigen wheels with a +35mm offset and 245/40/17 tires (full Koni/Eibach susp.)

Finding the right wheels proved rather challenging, I wanted something lightweight with all the right specs, I discovered the Audi TT has our same bolt pattern and desired off-set.

How much negative camber can you run up front or are running up front without hitting the strut?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    Hey GLH,

Just to disarm any possible reactions, these questions are not arguments. I just want to gain a better understanding of where you're coming from =] When I compare a 205/60R15 with a 225/50R17, I end up with a wheel that is 1.2" taller than OEM. Seeing as the wheel is then taller, wouldn't this make a larger difference of travel distance at the top of the wheel when setting neg camber? Since the top of the wheel is above the pivoting point of the suspension adjustment, the top of a taller wheel would theoretically travel further for the same amount of camber adjustment, coming in contact with the front strut earlier.

My current wheels didn't have a lot of clearance at the strut already, and I'd be concerned with stuffing a larger wheel in there. Did those Daytona's have the later style hub assemblies? I've heard they produce better suspension geometry and I'm wondering if this was part of the reason they ran those sizes? (That last bit is completely uneducated and I admit it, just a thought.)

With the +35 offset, the calculator shows that I would be 5mm (.2") closer to the suspension, which is honestly enough to negate my ability to set good camber I think.

The problem I'm having with all of this, is that my current wheels are 15" unidentified Mopar rims. I believe they came off of a mini-van and have a double spoke design with center caps that completely cover the lugs. They're 6" wide but I do not know the offset.

It's going to be about a month before I can drop the cash for my wheels/tires, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible in order to make an educated decision. Thank you again for all your help and input.

-Zach
    You're right, a 50 series is too tall. I either brain farted or fat fingered it. A 40 or 45 series in the 225 would be ideal. the 40 series only has race rubber on tire rack so a 45 is only .3" taller overall.

The 225's on the daytona's were all early 89 and earlier cars so no they didn't run the later hub assemblies that just move the ball joint location down.

Maybe if you post a pic of your current wheels we can tell you more about them.

No arguments, ask all the questions you want. You at least seem to have the ability to learn and make informed decisions unlike some people on the internet.

Hybrid booster

Here's a pic of the Mopar wheels I currently have. If anybody can help identify them, and the offset, that would allow me to make some realistic judgement on clearances.

Aaand here's the much delayed snaps of the Lancer. Be easy on me, I painted it with house paint and 20 year old spray equipment six years ago baha

Hybrid booster

Oh and I called the source for those "White Diamond" wheels. They're "between 25-30 pounds" each. That made me sad...I mean this isn't a race car, it's my grocery getter, but that seems on the heavy side to me for rotating mass. Konig Illusions are an option that I could afford and make work fitment-wise I believe, and they're only 18lb each at 17x7". I just think they look too spidery for the style of the H-body. *shrug* I'm sure I'll settle down on a rim eventually lol.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm pretty sure those wheels are off of a sebring or cirrus. That style of center cap was very popular on the mopars in the late 90s.

turbo addict

I agree on cirrus rims.

Hybrid booster

Good call on the cirrus rims guys. From a quick search I came up with an offset rang of "40-48mm". I'm thinking mine are probably +48 as I did some crude measurements between these wheels and my snowflakes. The cirrus rims mreasured about 10mm deeper to the mounting surface.

Any thoughts?

Garrett booster

What spring rates are you using on your coilovers?

Hybrid booster

Guys! I am asking for opinions on the logic of my mad-man thoughts.

Discount Tire has a "$100 Visa Prepaid Card Rebate" when purchasing any set of 4 wheels. Here's my thinking...Konig Illusions are good looking rims, and they weigh in at EIGHTEEN POUNDS EACH! That's at 17X7". Now, they don't jump out at me as being beautiful for the Lancer...but with Black and Machined Ball Cut finish, they definitely wouldn't look bad.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...r=2&wd=17&rw=7

Here's the kicker: I can pick up a set for $360, counting the prepaid rebate. If I get wheels through DT.com, I'll also get a free mount and balance as I'll be getting tires through them.

What do you think guys? I really like the looks of those "White Diamond" rims, but at "25-30lb each"...
    How noticeable would the heavier rims be? On top of that, it would end up costing me a considerable amount more to get heavy rims, and that kinda put a sour taste in my mouth as well.

Awaiting your thoughts,

Zach

boostaholic

I agree 25-30 is too heavy. Accel will feel worse, shocks will have a harder time controlling the wheel, it will be noticeable. I would go for the Konigs. I think they look better anyway.
    MinivanRider

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    I agree 25-30 is too heavy. Accel will feel worse, shocks will have a harder time controlling the wheel, it will be noticeable. I would go for the Konigs. I think they look better anyway.
    Thank you for the input on performance. I agree that they're just too hefty to justify. Everyone has their own opinions on looks, it's completely subjective, and I really thought that those "White Diamond" rims, black with machined face, looked really nice on the Lancer. I did a crude photoshop (actually, I used MS Paint, sue me lol) and slapped them on there. They did look nice imo, just...not worth all the downsides.

However, the Konig's are a nice match up. Did the same thing with those wheels and they do look good. Light weight, and a wheel manufacturer I've actually heard of before baha. I still might need spacers to get the camber I want, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

-Zach

I doubt you'll find a lighter wheel from a reputable manufacturer in that price range. Those are lighter than 16" pumpers by a couple of lbs.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I doubt you'll find a lighter wheel from a reputable manufacturer in that price range. Those are lighter than 16" pumpers by a couple of lbs.
    Definitely. I was shocked by the weight, price, and style as a package. My only fear is taking on a little bit of that "ricer" look..but...ehhhh, if I end up hating them I'm sure I can pawn them off for nearly what I will pay

turbo addict

I've noticed a difference in weight just swapping brands of tires in the same performance category on cars. Crappy yokohama's. Weight is bad. the less you have the better you are.

Hybrid booster

So I have a quote locked in from DiscountTireDirect. It'll be about 7-10 days for them to get stock of the BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires, but that's really no issue with me. Getting all the bells and whistles, including: Mount and Balance with "Ride Match System/Road Force", Mounting hardware for the Konigs, and Certificates for Refund or Replacement on all the tires (warranties). I'll likely be finalizing the order later this week.

Gotta say, I'm excited, and also nervous about these rims. They look VERY attractive in my opinion, objectively. I'm just hoping they look that good on the Lancer. One thing I will say, with those tiny mounting surfaces, I'm going to need to think about doing the rear disc conversion, or become comfortable with advertising tiny drums haha

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I've noticed a difference in weight just swapping brands of tires in the same performance category on cars. Crappy yokohama's. Weight is bad. the less you have the better you are.
    Indeed. I've noted a 3-4lb difference between tires of the same size. That really adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    So I have a quote locked in from DiscountTireDirect. It'll be about 7-10 days for them to get stock of the BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires, but that's really no issue with me. Getting all the bells and whistles, including: Mount and Balance with "Ride Match System/Road Force", Mounting hardware for the Konigs, and Certificates for Refund or Replacement on all the tires (warranties). I'll likely be finalizing the order later this week.

Gotta say, I'm excited, and also nervous about these rims. They look VERY attractive in my opinion, objectively. I'm just hoping they look that good on the Lancer. One thing I will say, with those tiny mounting surfaces, I'm going to need to think about doing the rear disc conversion, or become comfortable with advertising tiny drums haha
    The more I drive and the more I do the math on cost vs. benefit the more I realize that the stock drums are pretty great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast