Thread: Looking for RWD turbo intake and exhaust manifolds

Garrett booster

Looking for RWD turbo intake and exhaust manifolds

Hello everyone. I'll be soon getting a 2.5 Dakota 2wd five-speed. Looking to someday in the future convert it to a turbo set up as just something to tool around in. Feeling the waters to see if anybody has an intake and exhaust manifold that will work in the RWD application. Or has done a fabrication of one in the past willing to duplicate it for a price. I'm not in an immediate hurry as I don't even have the truck yet but will very soon and engine is already out of this truck so I'd like to find something within say a couple months let me know what you have. Or ideas. Thanks!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: Looking for RWD turbo intake and exhaust manifolds

OK so my disclaimer is that Ive never done a RWD 2.2/2.5 turbo set up but wont *any* of the commonly avail manifolds work? I mean you have the parts that RWD conversion guys have sought out, the block and the trans. I guess locating the turbo and not hitting the inner drivers fender is the issue? Not sure..

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

There are two issues. The turbo hitting the passenger fender well, and the intake needs to come around the front of the motor, not the rear like all the blow through's do. There isn't enough room between the back of the head & the firewall on a Dakota for the standard intake & throttle body.

This is either going to require a 2 piece intake with a custom upper plenum, or a totally custom intake and a custom exhaust manifold.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    There are two issues. The turbo hitting the passenger fender well, and the intake needs to come around the front of the motor, not the rear like all the blow through's do. There isn't enough room between the back of the head & the firewall on a Dakota for the standard intake & throttle body.

This is either going to require a 2 piece intake with a custom upper plenum, or a totally custom intake and a custom exhaust manifold.
    Yes correct I've been researching for couple weeks and even ran across couple nice pictures of ones done similarly to what you have mentioned. I "Think" I could fab up almost anything to make it work. But first off I'm not yet good with Tig welding aluminum. Second since some people have already done it or similar I figured parts may be out there or someone could fab up for decent price something they had already made😌 Years ago I had an older 4cyl Dakota was considering doing same thing and called forward motion. He actually had some manifolds on the shelve then. But that was almost 15 yrs ago😳 I've played with these cars a long time but never got a true runner together. This Dakota will just be a DD my fun car is an 89 Lebaron that is close to done. Not extreme but very fun👍

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post

A one-piece could be modified to relocate the throttle body as well.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

I have a schedule 10 header made for rwd Dodge Colt, and the intake too, two piece bottom and custom plenum, hit me up when your ready for it and we can talk price...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

So what I'm hearing is the easiest solution is a 16V motor Crossflow head solves some of those packaging issues right?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    A one-piece could be modified to relocate the throttle body as well.
    Yeah I heard that too and seen a picture of one done. It was kinda hard to tell how he did it but i did see that. Problem is i haven't played around with aluminum yet I have couple 1 piece intakes around could play with but kinda thought it would help to just get one made or pay for one. Other wise ill be learning on one of my own Cant seem to find the pictures i found earlier but couple guys out there were crazy enough to do this same project and had some nice pictures. Ill keep looking. Keep the responses coming I appreciate them

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    So what I'm hearing is the easiest solution is a 16V motor Crossflow head solves some of those packaging issues right?

Oh how I wish!! Ive wanted to try out one of the 16v heads or the neon head swap. But just kinda keeping it simple for now. The Dakota truly will just be a bare bones thing. Just remembered my 89 Dakota that never was anything more than a N/A daily driver. Thought I may resurrect the dead and make this newer tuck (95) be fun. All my efforts are going toward Lebaron, my diesel truck, wife's diesel truck, kids, and of course buying a house soon

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I have a schedule 10 header made for rwd Dodge Colt, and the intake too, two piece bottom and custom plenum, hit me up when your ready for it and we can talk price...
    Interested for sure. Again this one is a budget but I'm all ears. Sending a PM to talk with ya. Thanks!!

turbo addict

I have no idea if it would work but would flipping the turbine housing upside down and remounting it on the ex manifold work

Idono if it would hit the intake as I've never tryed it

but if it cleared, the hot and cold sides of the turbo could be reclocked
    this would at least put each end of the turbo where they're needed most

intake at the front , exhaust at the back

no clue as to if it would clear the inner fender

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I have no idea if it would work but would flipping the turbine housing upside down and remounting it on the ex manifold work

Idono if it would hit the intake as I've never tryed it

but if it cleared, the hot and cold sides of the turbo could be reclocked
    this would at least put each end of the turbo where they're needed most

intake at the front , exhaust at the back

no clue as to if it would clear the inner fender
    Yeah I had that thought too. Looking into it not sure about clearance issues either. I have an engine on the stand for another car so ive been looking at it and my options. i found the pictures of other trucks but cant seem to post?? Any thoughts? Can I post them directly to my reply. Don't know doesn't seem to work