Thread: 85 GLHT issues...needs to leave the parking lot.

Mitsu booster

85 GLHT issues...needs to leave the parking lot.

Okay so the car is still giving me some serious issues and the car isnt' really road-worthy at the moment. So far there's no codes at the moment but the thing does not want to run correctly. It'll idle fine but backfires slightly and bogs after just a few minutes of driving. Now that I've pulled the plugs they're looking a bit rich but nothing much else is going on. Fuel pressure is solid around 55psi and there's no real drop at all, timing is spot on. I just put in a new fuel pump, tuneup, timing belt, and water pump to which all was looking pretty alright actually.

I'm going to finish up with the timing belt probably tomorrow and see how that goes, the timing was spot on so I'm a bit bummed that it's not my explanation. I also checked/replaced all the vacuum lines in the car so things are good there too. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has any other information that might be able to help me out a tad...I really need to get this car running so I can finally do the work I need to on my Neon.

Re: 85 GLHT issues...needs to leave the parking lot.

is that static fuel pressure or w/ the vac line hooked up? what kind of plugs are they?

It sounds to me like your timing belt is off one tooth. If its retarded it will not have any bottom end and will pop and snort. Each tooth is 9 degrees so even beng off by one is a bunch. Its so easy to get off with the engine in the car, been there. DaveJ
    Last edited by Dave_J; 10-06-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add

Mitsu booster

Okay thanks for the advice! Unfortunatly the timing was dead on but at least I put in a new timing belt and water pump so it's all good there. I'm going to probe the rest of the sensors and see what I can get. Other than that I'm sure that driving the car would help out since it's sat for probably four or five years before I got it. I just need to get it to my parents house (50 miles away) sometime soon.

Still no codes and no parts in salvage yards...sucks to be in Bellingham Washington.

turbo addict

It's sat for that long?? Get that old gasoline out of there and refill with new fuel. It may have gunked up the injectors too.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    It's sat for that long?? Get that old gasoline out of there and refill with new fuel. It may have gunked up the injectors too.

Already got you there. When I did the fuel pump I pulled and cleaned out the tank, back flushed the lines and had the injectors cleaned professionaly off the car. The fuel pressure runs at about 46psi and rises linearly with the vacuum. Now that I've got the timing belt put on I think I'm a tooth off retarded. Any tips for lining up the cam with the engine in the car? It's kind of hard to see the two holes that have to be parallel with the head even with the mount off and the engine jacked up.

Garrett booster

im having the same problems. my timing is spot on too. we timed it at eye level when the engine was out. having a slight charging system problem. car seems to be way underpowered off idle. and has a flapping noise in the exhaust at high rpm. spark is good fuel pressure is good compression is good. look at the thread above you to see iif my problem is similar

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genzaroff View Post
    Already got you there. When I did the fuel pump I pulled and cleaned out the tank, back flushed the lines and had the injectors cleaned professionaly off the car. The fuel pressure runs at about 46psi and rises linearly with the vacuum. Now that I've got the timing belt put on I think I'm a tooth off retarded. Any tips for lining up the cam with the engine in the car? It's kind of hard to see the two holes that have to be parallel with the head even with the mount off and the engine jacked up.

Find the center of the valve cover, its the 2nd rib from the front, draw a line down the vc to the cam cap area. Remove the dist cap and put the engine at TDC. Now you can easily see if the little hole in the cam gear lines up with your mark and the rotor should be pointing at #1. You still need to check ignition timing with a timing light and the coolant sensor disconnected. Also make sure the MAP sensor is getting full manifold vacuum.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info