Thread: 1986 GLHS #150 / 19,750 original miles

Mitsu booster

1986 GLHS #150 / 19,750 original miles

Date: 27th February 2016
    Username: ILIKESHELBYS
    Full Name: Steven Seale
    City, State, Zip: Smyrna, GA 30082
    Selling or Wanted Price: $7000 or realistic cash offers sincerely considered

Description:
    I bought this car about a year ago for the sole purpose of completing the restoration started by the previous owner and well, the restoration is complete so here it is for sale. The previous owner purchased two very low mile cars and then took all the best of parts to build one show room appearing car. I got the 'other' car and all the parts that he decided he did not want to keep as low mileage spares. The car came to me as a roller, and it was completely taken apart. So almost every single nut and bolt on this car had to be turned to put 'humpty dumpty back together again. Unfortunately, the previous owner did decide he wanted to keep the original engine and transmission from this car and he gave me the engine and transmission out of the other 86 GLHS car. So make note, that this car does not have the original engine in it but it does have a complete and absolutely date correct 86 Shelby GLHS engine and transmission in it from another GLHS.

The engine in this car was just completely rebuilt using only factory original parts wherever possible. It has a new cylinder head and of course a new perma-torque head gasket, thermostat, all new belts and hoses, of course all the tune up parts like plugs, cap, rotor, wires and all fluids and filters. It also has the GLHS correct early slider cam which has a bit more duration than the later cams, this adds even more performance and is the correct cam for this car and engine. The engine runs like new, the transmission shifts great, it is filled with the factory suggested 10W30 dino oil. Not synthetic. The engine is filled with the Shelby specified Mobil 1 Synthetic. It has a fresh set of standard bearings and blows no smoke and has 3x150lbs and 1x145lbs of compression in the cylinders (dry). 60+psi of oil pressure cold and when hot and above idle, good oil pressure at idle both hot and cold, no oil light flickering at all. Good oil pressure, no knocks at cold startup either. Engine is solid. The engine runs like new, the transmission shifts great, it is filled with the factory suggested 10W30 dino oil. Not synthetic. The engine is filled with the Shelby specified Mobil 1 Synthetic.

The only real upgrade to this car's drive-train was the installation of a Walbro 255Lph fuel pump, and new in-tank filter sock and stock external fuel filter and the front brakes were upgraded with the popular SLH (stops like he^^) front brake caliper conversion. Back in the 80's you could actually purchase a special hardware kit that included the Kelsey Hayes single piston brake caliper and the caliper to strut adapter along with some special Mopar Performance metallic brake pads. What is amazing is that these were the same brakes (less the semi-metallic race brake pads) that were installed on the minivan vehicles. The Charger, the sister to the 86 GLHS already had good brakes, as did the GLHS, but when the minivan race brakes are added to the front, this thing can really really come to a quick stop. There is no ABS on this car. But anyway, I was super lucky to find another turbo Shelby enthusiast that had an NOS set of this brake upgrade kit, still in original Chrysler packaging, so on they went along with a fresh turning of the factory rotors. Also installed all new brake hoses and rear wheel cylinders and hoses, also proportioning valve to master cylinder and front to rear metal brake lines. So when the turbocharger gets you going the SLH brakes will get you stopped! New front wheel bearings, factory bearings too by the way, not cheap China bearings, factory bearings.

The body, uni-frame and sheet metal on this car are all very solid. No evidence of any rot through any quarter panels or fenders. The only visible blemish is about the size of the end of my small finger at the right rear wheel on the lip of the rolled edge, it is pictured below. It's minor, easily fixable and hard to catch a good picture of it on a black car, but it is pictured below. The underside was under coated when new apparently and it's done a good job protecting the sheet metal from what I can tell. See the pictures and you be the judge. The frame jack pads of course show signs of being used. This car spent most of it's life in North Carolina and for the past few years in Georgia. I can't speak for ownership in North Carolina, but since moving the car to Georgia years ago it has never been driven in the rain or snow.

The paint is not original, it has been repainted somewhere in it's past but it was a nice job. I don't know who, when or where. It does have all it's Shelby emblems and identity decals in place therefore it is hard to call this car much of a 'sleeper'. It has plenty of shine, no clear coat pealing at all, it is shiny and very straight, yeah it has a scuff or two, I tried to get any of them in the hi-res pics. There is a half thumb sized impression in the rear hatch cover, see the pics please. On the rear hatch, the impressions look like what you might get if you had your thumb on the cover then slammed the hatch down. I only notice these when the car was parked out in the Sunshine and when viewed from just the right angle. I have not yet seen even a single door ding, but I won't say that there isn't one somewhere.

The interior is all original and in super nice and clean condition. The carpet is original, not perfect but also still looks great and is basically free from visible stains or any rips or wear-out patches like from a shoe heal. In fact the heal pad looks great on the drivers side. . No holes or excessive heal and toe wear to make note of. Original seat covers so they should be considered a bit tender. It has a brand new head liner that looks super, the dash is almost like new, it still also sports its original factory AM/FM cassette radio. The AM/FM works, and it has two new bi-axial speakers in the doors, but I don't even own a cassette tape any more to test the tape drive. Everything inside and all lights work as they should, even the rear hatch light and the package and privacy shelf is present and functional. The heater and air conditioner are fully functional, all the modes work, and the fan runs quietly on all speeds. Blinker switch works, bright lights dipper works, emergency flashers work, dash lights dimmer works, lighter works but looks like new, dome light illuminates when you open a door and the dome lenses looks like new/not yellowed and cracked as so many are. Sun visors you ask...check, look great and both move freely and the covers look great. The only nit worth mentioning on the interior is that the drivers door arm rest at the top needs to be replaced for the interior to be as close to perfect as you're going to get and there is a seam that has split at the top of the rear seat cover, and on the passenger seat bottom. This is shown in the pictures below.

All the interior door lock buttons work, manual windows go up and down easily. All the glass is original, the windshield has a smaller than a pea size stone chip in it that I noticed but it is the original Shelby glass with the original sticker so I'm not sure you even want to think about dealing with it. The original leather wrapped Shelby steering wheel is present, its in good condition with no tears or rips. The original leather wrapped Momo shift knob is MIA. The shift knob on the car at this time is a period correct shift knob from a 84-87 Shelby Charger. The Momo can still be purchased, last I looked it was about $70.

No front floor mats present.

The stock halogen 4x6 headlamps were replaced with E-code Hella Glass lenses with very bright H4 bulbs. The bulbs are white, not blue and I think they are the legal 55W units, but they are quite bright since the lenses are glass E-codes. Since they are glass they are never going to fade. The lenses are Hella genuine so they are DOT approved. I'm not so sure they are street approved though. I have them well adjusted at a proper height so on coming traffic is not being blinded but lets leave it at, you won't have any trouble seeing where you are going at night. The original BOSCH Pilot with period correct covers are also present and fully functional. The fog and driving lights are activated by the Shelby installed toggle switch which is on the passenger side of the dash knee bolster.

All the other Shelby exclusive items are present and in great shape.

It has a new HP catalytic converter from CatCo under it with original Chrysler exhaust so it is also a 50 state legal car and can and will pass emissions in at least 49 states. I'm not so sure about California, in Georgia where the car is based, it doesn't even need to be inspected to be registered, tagged and driven on the public roads. Many states are this way on cars over 25 years old.

The suspension includes the original Koni adjustable shocks and poly lower control arm bushings, and a rebuilt steering rack. The adjustable Koni struts and shocks are fully functional and show no signs of leaking. A fresh alignment and set to Shelby specifications with -.5* camber on the front struts.

I also have the near mint owners manual and both the Shelby exclusive GLHS warranty and special features booklets that came with the car new. A copy of the entire Road&Track magazine with the GLHS Vs GT350 artical inside and the 86 Omni GLHS sales brochure. I do not have the original window sticker nor did I locate the build sheet anywhere inside the car during the restoration.

Car has a clean Georgia title and no liens. Title is in hand and is in my name. Car is registered in Georgia.

$750 non-refundable deposit required to mark it sold. Balance payment via cash, certified bank check, USPS hologram'd money orders. If you choose a bank check, then you will have to provide the branch name and address and a contact so that the check may first be verified via phone. The car remains with the current owner until that check is absolutely verified, so I suggest bringing cash, and every single bill will be marked and check with a cash pen.

If you need time for travel plans, I will be happy to store the car for up to 30 days at no expense but you will be responsible for insuring the car. I suggest that you not drive the car across the country due mostly to its' low low mileage, I suggest a car carrier/transport service. I'm also happy to work with you and the trucking driver to arrange for a safe and verified pickup.

If you have ANY questions about the car, please be sure to ask them before your first bid or make an offer. But I am happy to entertain any and all questions till the auction closes or I cancel the auction due to a local sale. The car is listed on several Shelby forums and locally as well as on Craigslist and the car will be sold to the first person that either wins the auction or brings and completes an offer that I accept. Failing to complete the transaction for any reason other than a substantial misrepresentation (which just isn't going to happen) will be met with forfeiture of your initial deposit. Please make note of this.. If you have the interest and the resources, I would act decisively and quickly.

DISCLAIMER: The car is offered as-is, where-is and without any warranty expressed or implied. I have made every reasonable attempt to accurately describe this car and to the best of my knowledge. I am not the original owner and some of this information may be considered lore as communicated to me by previous owners. I did a complete title and history check on this car using three different services before I purchased it, and they all agreed on the facts of its ownership, title, and mileage history. I present all this information for your review and consideration for a legitimate sale with no intent to mislead, commit an act of fraud, or violate any eBay seller or purchases rules, terms or conditions for the sale of a street legal automobile.

Easy truck or car dolly access as well as car transport/semi-truck car carrier access. Storage is outside behind a locked and barbed wire fence. Inside locked storage is also available for $160 a month additional within 1/2 mile of my location.

No Owner Financing Available
    No Trade Offers Please

You can see more pictures on the eBay auction:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/252301667848?

Last edited by ILIKESHELBYS; 02-27-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1986 GLHS #150 / 19,750 original miles

Here is a list of just about every item that was repaired, rebuilt or replaced on this car during the one year restoration:

These parts were missing when I bought the car, February 2015. All the parts were replaced with new, rebuilt or used depending on availability and condition.

Both remote mirror interior chrome rings
    Engine vacuum solenoid block
    Antenna mast (Shelby black)
    5 Speed transmission differential bracket
    All shift levers,pins and brackets
    Fuel vapor canister
    AC hoses
    Front engine mount bracket
    Rear brake lines, rubber
    Front brake hoses (new)
    Brake proportioning valve mount bracket
    Complete body belt line molding set
    AC Condenser
    GLHS unique Radiator
    GLHS unique Fan
    Wiper motor and mounting bracket
    AC bracket and idler bracket w/pulley
    Passenger side CV axle (new)
    Front grill
    Exhaust downpipe
    Catalytic converter (new Catco)
    Vacuum Hoses and Harness
    Power steering hoses
    NipponDenso Front Engine/Alternator Harness
    90AMP NipponDenso alternator (rebuilt)
    Nippon alternator bracket
    Shift rods quick fit (new)
    Emergency brake cables
    Metal brake lines, front to rear (both)
    LR door handle
    LF door handle
    Brake booster pedal pin clip
    Upper intercooler hoses
    Turbo Inlet to Air Cleaner Housing hose
    Spare tire cover
    Center console storage box and shroud
    Center console storage box bracket
    3 window winder handles
    Clutch cable with bracket clip (new)
    Speedometer cable
    Speed sensor
    Alternator pulley
    2 wire reverse light socket
    Knock Sensor
    Down pipe flange doughnut
    Exhaust Flange bolt with tab
    Exhaust flange bolt and spring
    Left Rear Shock Nut
    Valve cover PCV valve pipe
    Ground FX (Both Sides)
    Driver's seat cover
    Stereo speakers (5.25" front doors)
    Rear exhaust muffler Stainless Steel Shelby
    Mid pipe exhaust pipe
    Rear view mirror
    Cigarette lighter
    Dome light (NOS)
    AC Compressor (***but still needs to be replaced***)

Wear and tear items (All new/NOS)

Timing belt
    Timing belt tensioner
    Fuel Pump Walbro 255
    Repair Fuel sender
    Wiper bushings kit
    Front wheel bearings (2)
    Rear wheel cylinders
    2 wire reverse light socket
    Polly lower control arm bushings
    Heater control valve
    Thermostat
    Front brake calipers, pads, brackets (Mopar Minivan S-body with full metallic pads)
    AC Drier
    PCV to valve cover hose New Chrysler# 4387568
    Fuel Injection hoses $30
    5/8" Heater hoses and all clamps
    Head board repaired and recovered
    Head liner material and 3M adhesive
    Main Engine Bearings
    Rod Bearings

Maintenance items

All filters (oil, air, fuel)
    Wiper blades
    O2 sensor
    All belts
    PCV Valve
    1 Fog light bulb

Other Repairs Completed

782 Cylinder Head (New/Rebuilt)
    Head Bolt Set
    Head Gasket PermaTorque FelPro
    Front Wheel Bearings (left&right) from moving car w/o axels
    Front wheel bearing seals
    Logic Module - Factory original
    Oil pressure switch
    Power Steering Pump pulley bent
    Turn Signal Switch
    Oil pressure sender
    Dip stick tube (broken off at block)
    Brake booster
    Fuel injectors
    Steering rack rebuilt, upper shaft seal was leaking
    AC Compressor needs replaced
    AC low pressure switch inop

Fluids

Engine oil Mobil 1
    Transmission Oil 10W30
    Antifreeze Green
    Brake fluid - DOT3
    Power steering fluid
    32oz. R12 Freon 36Oz.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Have the/an original valve cover?

Working on clearing the decks.

Mitsu booster

The original was just silver, not the later 'Shelby' embossed aluminum cover. As can be seen, this car has a wrinkle powder coated cover on it.