Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight reduction numbers for minivan hatch

boostaholic

Re: Weight reduction numbers for minivan hatch

Wheels and tires are huge, no tubes in slicks, rear floorboard will be address and small fuel cell probably up front. bumper covers instead of bumpers also. The other thing we are looking at is the rear suspension, I think that Neon rear setup would be much lighter. The doors, hatch and slider I know I can get down to nearly nothing, and have just one aluminum Kirkey seat on aluminum brackets. I don't think 2500lbs. and a 10.99 atleast at 5800 ft altitude with the right turbo/ 8 valve/auto combo is unrealistic.

boostaholic

Bicycle guys say "weight weenie" when somebody starts cutting weight by the gram, off of their bike with titanium bolts and carbon brackets. He was trying to sell the van locally when I grabbed those pics off the ad. This was 2 or 3 years back. I might copy his window thing, seems like a good idea.

Porsche uses fabric pull straps on the doors of some of the their lightweights right.. I wonder how you could do that on a TM. Or even ditch the door latches and use external leather straps like an old english roadster. :P

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ef9967b4e6.jpg
    MinivanRider

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    When I first bought my van, it weighed 3340. I stopped on the way back from Illinois to weigh it at a CatScales on I-65. That was full weight with me in it (IIRC) and ¾ tank of fuel.
    I think it would be optimistic for me to get this down to2500 lbs., but I am definitely going to try. I thought about the seatbelt/window regulator mod, but I have yet to start cutting on the doors. I removed the interior panels, rear bumper + brackets, spare tire mount + brackets, ALL factory wiring, most of the dash (no hvac box, lower dash panel, etc.), the passenger’s seat, roof rack, etc. My exhaust system is very short as well, but I think I can still take out more there, too. I am going to get ahold of some scales and weigh/ballast it. That will give me an indication of where to take out/add weight.
    I am going to call Sabic to find out what polycarb works formy application and what it weighs. I mayend up with thin aluminum sheets, then black them out.
    I will post more pics and let you see what I have done andpost the weight of the mini with the pics that way you can see what I have and don’t have. I will do more weighing of removed parts as well and report the results. After I get this weighed SGT CRAIG, we can see what the weight is andsee if 2500 lbs. is feasible. Of course, mine is not a cargo van, though.
    A set of Bogarts would not hurt either. LOL
    I addressed Sgt Craig, but meant to address Milkcarton. I am all for getting down to 2500... I don't think the -.99 is a pipe dream at that weight. I guess it just comes down to how "streetable" I need the mini to be. Here are some current pics:

BTW, it now runs on Big Stuff 3....just started it!!! Passenger's seat is only there to hold my laptop.

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Also, for cheap light wheels check out chrysler fifth avenue 14" aluminum wheels (they look like steel wheels). Just over 12lbs each. I actually have 2 sitting in my garage.

boostaholic

Fastasleep.. that van deserves a lithium battery. Nice!
    MinivanRider

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post
    Also, for cheap light wheels check out chrysler fifth avenue 14" aluminum wheels (they look like steel wheels). Just over 12lbs each. I actually have 2 sitting in my garage.
    Got a pic of those? Also, I wonder what that van weighed when he was done. Any idea?

-Les
    Last edited by fastasleep; 03-02-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    Fastasleep.. that van deserves a lithium battery. Nice!
    Thanks, Rrider! Honestly, I looked at them; figured I would do it once I ran outta places to rob weight. I also like using the dual terminal batteries, that way I can put all the ring terminals on the side posts and the starter and main ground on the top terminals....just looks cleaner. Those Braille batteries are SUPER nice, but expensive. I can always use this Optima elsewhere.

boostaholic

Mine will be light as it wont be street driven and only will need a light in rear and one up front for at track.Im gutting everything that doesnt make it stop,start,go or steer.Pat does really want me to make a Vanpage too.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Rrider and 2.216VTurbo - memory lane too; interesting guy. M.D. and turbo mini light weight fanatic; recall his visit to Applebee's, the tour of his weight reductions, and the window straps too.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

I was thinking that what this thread needs is some realinformation, instead of just guessing at it. LOL. I bought a set of Longacre scales at Summitlast night on the way home from Macon. This morning I put Dirty Sanchez on the scales just to get a baseline. I was pretty happy with theresults.
    Here are a couple of points to know about what was in thevan:

1. Nopassenger’s seat.
    2. No driver.
    3. 4.5 gallons of gasoline in the stock tank.
    4. Hood on.
    5. No back glass (or Lexan, or anything).

The rest of the weight removal is already noted in thisthread….you can also look in the pictures if you need to see what the vanactually looks like, too.
    Hope this helps!!!

Sorry about the upside down pic!

-Les

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

That's already pretty good!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

WOW!! That thing is lighter than my Daytona! LOL Very nice balance numbers, too!

Hybrid booster

Here you go. The aluminum steel style wheels. The factory wheel covers don't work with them though.

boostaholic

From the grooves I wanna say they are cold spun like Sander or Keizers are.

The narrow alumilite spares have those grooves too.
    MinivanRider

I took an additional 31 lbs. out of the sliding door, but am not quite happy with my method of reattaching it; I'll work on it more this week.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post

that was my old van. went 8.7 at 82 MPH with a cut off exhaust and a MBC to 15PSI.

just bought myself another van.. more info to come.
    search facebook group
    "Turbo Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager owners and Info"
    and join in the fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12