Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction numbers for minivan hatch

Weight reduction numbers for minivan hatch

I don't know if anyone is interested in these findings, but I thought I would post what I found for others to consider when wanting to shed weight from their mini's.
    Yesterday, I decided to tackle taking weight out of the van. I took the benches out of the van many years ago, but never went much further than that until now as far as weight savings go.
    At this point, the van will be mainly used for drag racing, but I will drive it to the track (kinda my thing....).
    I removed the hatch from the van. The only things that were not present on the van's hatch were the interior panel and the rear wiper and motor. All else was present (speakers, harness, license plate, license plate lights, license plate bezel, washer tubes, glass with rear defrost, center latch and side latches, and lock and latch mechanism.
    This hatch weighed 66.8 lbs. as is shown in the pictures.

With the glass, harness, speakers, thin steel webbing, tubing, license plate bezel, side latches, and dirt removed, the hatch weighed 36.2 lbs.
    Also, I eliminated the lift cylinders and cut a dowel to hold up the hatch.

In all fairness, I will have to install some type of fascia to take the place of the rear window. Depending how much Lexan weighs/costs, I may go with thin gauged steel and aluminum supports and rivet the thing in. This couldn't weigh more that a couple of lbs.

Thoughts?

-Les

Hybrid booster

Re: Weight reduction numbers for minivan hatch

Definitely go with some plexiglass vs metal. Also it'd be great if you noted the weight reduction possible of other parts as you go through the van and lighten it up.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yeah, there are a lot of people who have lightened vans over the years, but i dont remember reading anyone posting how much they saved from what.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I thought Gus recorded the weights of stuff he pulled from the van?
    I know i was thinking the same thing with the hatch, or a fiberglass or carbon version.
    I can remove the front passenger seat when racing for a quick 60# (or more) savings.

Surprised the hatch didn't weigh more than you noted.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Surprised the hatch didn't weigh more than you noted.
    To be 100% honest, the scale I used was my bathroom scale. I weighed it three times just to be sure. I junked a truck load of interior parts, etc., from the van already but I should have weighed things like the rear bumper, spare tire mount, etc.

-Les

boostaholic

I have a set of scales coming next Sunday to weigh both my vans.#2 Van will get lightened consierable as it wont be street driven(Would never pass Pa state inspection anyway)

I am in Georgia. We don't have "function tests", only emissions in certain counties. I am exempt from emissions this year! Do let me know your weights....really interested.

-Les

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    I am in Georgia. We don't have "function tests", only emissions in certain counties. I am exempt from emissions this year! Do let me know your weights....really interested.

-Les
    Emmisions Id be fine its the safety test that it would fail due to the rust.No biggie thats why the other is the street van.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Emmisions Id be fine its the safety test that it would fail due to the rust.No biggie thats why the other is the street van.
    You can fail an inspection due to rust?

-Les

Garrett booster

i've failed due to holes in the fender -- easy fix, duct tape and spray paint.

boostaholic

Good info, I will be gutting all removable panels on a van this spring, I will also document weight loss. I am trying to get a cargo van down to 2500 lb race weight. It is 2950 with me in it right now.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Years ago(like more than 10) there was a local guy into making his Turbo Mini light and fast. At the time I thought WTF is this guy crazy? Turns out he was just ahead of the curve. One trick I remember specifically he did was to gut the door of the window mechanisms. He used a simple section of seatbelt that matched to the interior color to raise and lower the windows. He had a simple male snap rivited onto the door frame and the female snap on the belt webbing just in the right spot when snapped they held the window in the upright position. As this was 5 years before my first Mini I thought he was nutz

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

mine is getting spare doors, hood, slider and hatch all completely gutted and lexan installed.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

The seatbelt/ window regulator trick was used back in the 1960's on the light weight Super Stock Dodge and Plymouth drag cars. These same cars used Dodge A100 Van seats to save weight. Ironic.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/histo...leberry-hound/

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post
    You can fail an inspection due to rust?

-Les
    Yes Frame,rockers ect

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    The seatbelt/ window regulator trick was used back in the 1960's on the light weight Super Stock Dodge and Plymouth drag cars. These same cars used Dodge A100 Van seats to save weight. Ironic.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/histo...leberry-hound/

Mine will be more like a Swiss Cheese Catalina!

boostaholic

Here is that crazy weight weenie guy's van..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	posterity.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	57440  
    MinivanRider

boostaholic

I don't see anything light about that van....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Where did you run into that van Rrider? I wonder if he sold it, when I ran into him back in the day he was an Optimology (eye doctor) student. Don't remember him being a weenie, maybe I don't get your context?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    Good info, I will be gutting all removable panels on a van this spring, I will also document weight loss. I am trying to get a cargo van down to 2500 lb race weight. It is 2950 with me in it right now.
    When I first bought my van, it weighed 3340. I stopped on the way back from Illinois to weigh it at a CatScales on I-65. That was full weight with me in it (IIRC) and ¾ tank of fuel.
    I think it would be optimistic for me to get this down to2500 lbs., but I am definitely going to try. I thought about the seatbelt/window regulator mod, but I have yet to start cutting on the doors. I removed the interior panels, rear bumper + brackets, spare tire mount + brackets, ALL factory wiring, most of the dash (no hvac box, lower dash panel, etc.), the passenger’s seat, roof rack, etc. My exhaust system is very short as well, but I think I can still take out more there, too. I am going to get ahold of some scales and weigh/ballast it. That will give me an indication of where to take out/add weight.
    I am going to call Sabic to find out what polycarb works formy application and what it weighs. I mayend up with thin aluminum sheets, then black them out.
    I will post more pics and let you see what I have done andpost the weight of the mini with the pics that way you can see what I have and don’t have. I will do more weighing of removed parts as well and report the results. After I get this weighed SGT CRAIG, we can see what the weight is andsee if 2500 lbs. is feasible. Of course, mine is not a cargo van, though.
    A set of Bogarts would not hurt either. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast