Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramerati Reborn

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Ramerati Reborn

More progress - to support the stock T1 L body air box, I bent/drilled/welded a support onto the bottom of a stock steel bracket. You can see the PCV hose connected too. After the engine is installed, I'll have to shift the position SMEC on the inside of the fender so the airbox inlet lines up with the SMEC's output. At this stage, and being in CA, I want to use stock parts; a K&N filter might help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Air Box Fab 005.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	60974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Air Box Fab 001.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	60973  
    Last edited by johnl; 06-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Looks good!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Hell yeah brother! If I could oogle over that for a couple hours that would be awesome.

Hybrid booster

I love how clean and factory that looks.

Thanks, I'm trying for an OEM look.

Here are pics of the

BOV to airbox connection,
    shortened alternator tensioning bracket, sectioned by 1 inch, and
    where I got the barbed flange from - a 2.5 T1 IC hose with BOV barb.

The sectioned bracket pulls the alternator in tight to the block, making more room for radiator and mini-van AC condenser.

Name:	Ramerati Blow Off Valve to Intake 002.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	61063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4672.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	61066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4675.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	61065  
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Well, with the low flat top of the 520, and by my measurements (but not tested by install yet, the IC can be tight to the block/head, fit under the "power bulge" of the hood and still leave room for the master cylinder.

Thanks for your compliments.
    I'm presuming this is the 4 1/2 inch wide core ?

any hope the same i-c in a nine inch wide core might fit ?

Yes, 4 1/2 inch. A 9" would fit but it would steal space from the air cleaner or battery and back toward the fire wall it would conflict with the master cylinder.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1126865

Installed a drain so oil from PCV will go back to the sump instead of dripping out the air box weep hole and onto the top of the transaxle.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Getting back to it. Bumper with heat exchanger inside, fans on backside, and oil cooler below. Holes cut on drivers side for heat exchanger coolant. On passenger side, fitting another fan for AC condenser. Will trim bend and fit some sheet metal to close the gaps, make fan effective.

Name:	Rampage Cooling - air oil coolant 001.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	905.3 KB 
ID:	61678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Cooling - air oil coolant 002.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	61679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Cooling - air oil coolant 004.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	917.7 KB 
ID:	61680  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Garrett booster

Sorry if I missed this detail, but what are you using for your AWIC rad? I see you have KX 500 fans but I cant find the actual source of the rad. It fits great in the bumper support.

It is an AWIC heat exchanger out of a Ford Lightning. Be sure to get the bracketry and corner rubbers too. I used a bench grinder to re-shape and grind the Ford steel stampings and the rubbers down so that they slip tightly into the space between the exchanger and the bumper. Small holes were drilled through the bumper where the rubbers locate. I drilled/tapped the Ford steel rubber holding brackets for short M3 screws that locate/hold the rubbers in place. If you expand the third pic, you can see the ground down steel bracket that cups the rubber and which is held in place, on the other side, by the M3 machine screws.

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 013.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	61687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 014.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	61688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat Exchanger in SC Aluminum Bumper 008.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	61689  
    Last edited by johnl; 11-15-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

AC condenser is moved to front of core support;

Second pic shows that the condenser sits on cantilever brackets welded to front of the core support. The condenser is cushioned by Mopar radiator rubbers in Mopar radiator brackets. The tube, coming out of the core support and to the right of the cantilever bracket, carries/protects the 5/8" oil hose that (as I've designed it) has to go through the core support to serve the oil cooler. It too will be welded, inside and outside, to preserve structural integrity of the lower core support.

The top of the condenser is located by the hood latch plate. A steel strap is laid across the top of the condenser and will be welded to the inside edges of the condenser's two original brackets. The top of those two original condenser brackets, with those two rusty bolts, will be hacked off. The sheet metal screws are temporary/mock up; the holes they made in the steel strap will be tapped for Mopar M6x1s.

Third and fourth pics show oil cooler hose problem - driver side oil line that has to go through lower core support and on passenger side the galvanized tube that pass through from inside the engine compartment toward oil cooler fitting.

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	61722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5237.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	61723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5226.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	61724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5238.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	61725  
    Last edited by johnl; 11-16-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

As long as you have the welder out and you're right there anyway... Do some seam welding! THe amount of spot welds per foot on a Rampage is pretty low, there's lotsa stiffening to be had with some wire, CO2 gas and helmet time

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Good point AJ; will do.

And, I failed to note that in the first pic in post #52, you can see an air containment shroud that sits on top of the strap and reaches back to the radiator.
    I'm assuming that tight to nonexistent gaps around the radiator and condenser is a good thing. For same reason I'm minimizing holes in all of the vertical sheet metal between upper and lower core supports.

Also . . . . changed my mind, life's to short to save Rich Bryant's K-Frame for the GLHT; it's going into the Ramerati.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Trial fit - up from below with transmission jack and now hanging on side engine mounts. Downpipe needs re-angling, radiator fan needs a different lower attachment idea, and there are reasons why Masi L-bodies usually skip AC - plumbing and access for R & R. 1st pic - half way up, 2nd - all the way.

Name:	Engine Trial Fit 014.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	61749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Trial Fit 021.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	61750  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Get the cut off wheel out and ditch the factory upper core support. You'll have sooo much more room with something constructed with tube steel. It just hangs the rad/condenser/etc.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Nah, tubes would use more room than that formed sheet. The vertical panels are where the upper core support gets its strength. I can carve out the center between the upper two ears of the AC bracket's casting to enable R&R of the compressor.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

John, I've been on the fence about converting my 'new' gold GLH to Masi 16v. I've already done it to my Shelby Lancer, but the L-body is going to be a little tougher thanks to that intake manifold sticking way out where the radiator is supposed to be. I have a low mileage Masi 16v engine ready to go...I'm not looking to make a ton of power as I'm mostly into this for the nostalgia aspect and am OK with using all the factory parts for a "it was born there" look, including the little IHI turbo.

Can you suggest a suitable radiator? On my SL, I used a TU aluminum radiator, Mopar Performance S60/Indy intercooler, and a Derale #16926 fan which worked great but just barely fit. It's not going to be so easy for the L-body though. I'm looking into VW Scirocco radiators and potentially an A/W intercooler like you have (very clean looking).

When I bought the Ramerati from Charlie, it had a custom radiator in it that fits between the upper and lower radiator support, not on the inside face of it. The fan was an inadequate non-shrouded wire cage thing that I have replaced with a deep blade/shrouded Volvo fan provided to me by AJ (in AZ) which fits perfectly. Earlier posts in this thread show trimming that fan's shrouds down to fit. This new fan sits flush to the inside face of the upper and lower radiator supports and, while the shroud does intrude, it clears everything with plenty of room for the fuel rail/regulator/vacuum lines. I can even run a bigger oil filter on top of a sandwich style oil cooler distribution block. R&R of both radiator and fan is out the bottom after removing front motor mount.

So . . . the trick is to find/fab a radiator that fits inside the core supports. Be sure to align the passenger side radiator barb to connect to the upper radiator hose. You don't need a fill pipe/cap on the radiator, of course.

An L body AC condenser is in front of the radiator and under the hood latch - plenty of room under the GLHS/Charger nose cone.
    Last edited by johnl; 12-04-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I remember finding that Neon radiators come pretty close to fitting under the core support nicely.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast