Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramerati Reborn

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Ramerati Reborn

Yes, the seats are low, although I do not recall seeing any evidence of welding in the floor pan areas, it may have been unobtrusively done so I will check and see.

Dave might have shortened the seats' pedestals?
    Last edited by johnl; 03-03-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

A few years ago, AJ of Turbo Mopar fame in Arizona, on one of his trips to CA, made a gift to me of a two speed radiator fan out of a Volvo that he favors for dealing with the Arizona heat.

I've held it out of use from other cars, intending that the Ramerati be its home. The Ramerati's fan is a Derale that I found for it but it has a partial/inadequate shroud. Further, that engine's intake manifold crowds the L body's upper core support. Stock radiators, of course, sit on the internal face of the core support, so the car came with a 2" thick custom radiator, that was fabricated by Dave for Charlie, and which fits inside of the 15" tall "window frame" of the upper and lower core supports. Even so, access to the distributor, the injector rail, to adjust fuel pressure, and to secure various vacuum hoses & fittings, is difficult. This is so especially since it is all underneath the intake manifold.

That Volvo fan shroud's extension, while almost perfect for for K and P bodies etc., was too wide for my 2 x 15 x 18 radiator's core. The fan itself, however, being 15 inches in diameter is a good fit to the radiator's core. So . . . I set to work on that shroud with the tape measure, tablesaw and die grinder and whittled the shroud down so that the whole thing fits perfectly right on top of the radiator's core and inside the end tanks.

The Volvo radiator, even after my whittling, is still thicker than my old fan. So, to make clearance, I have moved the radiator forward in the core support window frame by doing some trimming with the die grinder on the body to make room for the radiator's end tanks which were bumbing up against the sheet metal that is tack welded to the front of the lower core support.

Now I can slide the radiator forward so that it is now flush to that stamped steel vertical member that runs straight up from the lower to the upper support. Dave and Charlie probably didn't want to trim as much as me, and I wouldn't have either, it's just that I've worked on the car a lot, and I want that clearance to get at the distributor, AFR, and injectors.

Pics show: (1) flange at top of fan shroud that fits nicely under the core support, (2) new fan/shroud's fit to radiator, (3) two speed relay - check that 10 gauge wire - and the unit in place, (4) the Derale that came out set beside the new Volvo fan, and (5) re-work of the radiator's mounting method; I cut off the stock female radiused radiator mounting holes from the face of the core support so I could re-weld them into holes I drilled into the core support; this will replace the original steel L tab system with stock rubber mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 046.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	916.1 KB 
ID:	57454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 021.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	890.6 KB 
ID:	57451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 048.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	57455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 030.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	57453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 029.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	57452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 003.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	57457  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 050.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	971.3 KB 
ID:	57456  
    Last edited by johnl; 03-03-2016 at 08:22 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

More pics showing the radiator in place, the old Derale fan in place, and the new Volvo fan in place. Still may have a conflict between the top of the new fan shroud (where the slinky wire loom is sticking up) and the intake manifold . . . . it will be close. But the Derale cleared, so . . . crossing fingers.

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 036.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	57458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 043.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	57460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 038.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	988.5 KB 
ID:	57459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Fan Project 044.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	57461  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Very cool build!

Stock turbo?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Very cool build!

Stock turbo?
    No, actually this Garrett isn't stock and even a stock Garrett is a good step up from the stock IHI. And, it's on there for now. I have a ball bearing unit in reserve which, with this new exhaust manifold, ought to be an easy swap, if I want to go there.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Hi John,
    I like what you've done with the Ramerati and I'm sure Dave is looking down from heaven with two thumbs up!

Charlie had a lot of fun with that car. I remember flying in and staying with Charlie for a couple of nights before heading out to SDAC with him. I rode shotgun the whole way there...the Ramerati ran flawlessly! He had asked me to fly in and fix the car for him (he was having some issues with it) and we then drove it out to SDAC for the show. Very cool car....glad you bought it and are enjoying it.

The bar you are referencing below is a bar that Dave made. I remember him calling me while he was welding/making it. He said he had created it in an attempt to stabilize the engine (i.e. keep it from rocking in the engine bay during launch and high HP/loads). I'm not sure if Johnny was making the poly mounts back then or not...but Dave said he felt it helped. I've never needed anything like that...I've always had good luck using Johnny's mounts.

As for the MAP sensor code...it's funny you should mention that. I do recall Charlie having that code pop up from time to time. Some/most of the factory Masi motors I have pulled apart actually *have* a "column" for lack of a better description protruding up out of the vac barb threaded into the intake...(the one that leads to the MAP) so it's funny you thought to do that. Basically, by doing so, you did exactly what the factory engineers did. My only guess for why yours didn't have that "column" in that particular fitting is because if I recall correctly that was a brand new service engine (brand new crate motor) from Chrysler/Maserati (I sold it to Dave). I remember it being a very early engine...so perhaps that engine was assembled before they (engineering) thought about that oil pooling possibility? Just make sure if you seriously actually used some JB weld that you ensure it doesn't get sucked into the intake at any point.
    If you have any other questions about the Ramerati feel free to contact me and if I can help I certainly will.
    Great job with the build John. It looks fantastic!
    Rick D.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Thanks Todd; a lot of thought, money, and effort went into that build and after I figured out how to deal with the issues that, after Dave's passing, Charlie had, the trucklet gave me a lot of satisfaction and pride of ownership.

The biggest puzzle was the MAP sensor code, 13 or 37 or some such, if I recall correctly, that the car kept throwing. It turned out that there is a good reason for vacuum take off barbs to NOT be on the floor of the intake manifold; a slight amount of oil from the turbo would condense on the floor and drain down into the MAP vacuum line and make its way to the MAP sensor and foul it. The fix was, what else? - JB weld. I drilled out the inside of the 3/8" NPT vacuum barb to accept a piece of thin wall steel tubing (a piece of a golf club shaft), the open end of which then stood 1" above the floor of the intake manifold. With that stand pipe any oil on the floor of the manifold went into the engine instead of into the MAP sensor.

I would appreciate any recollections you might have concerning the car's build or history.

For instance, there was a piece of square tubing that was welded to the front motor mount and it ran back to and was bolted to the K frame, which tied the two together. I was forced to cut it off when I had to do something since it was welded, not bolted, to the front mount. Do you know what the theory or purpose of that was?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Dunno about you John but if I got some good answers in a well written post from a guy that only posts 3 times per year on average, I'd feel pretty privileged Hey Rick

I only got to interact with Dave G. via phone a few times when we were trading some RT parts back and forth but he was knowledgeable and fun to talk with We lost a good one there

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hey guys Yes indeed thank you very much Rick for your input.

I am just now coming out of a hole following surgery on the 7th which funny enough relates to Alan's profession.
    I had five level cervical stenosis, or spinal cord pinch. So to decompress my neck'sspinal cord I had a posterior multilevel laminoplasty. Out of commission for a while
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Hey guys Yes indeed thank you very much Rick for your input.

I am just now coming out of a hole following surgery on the 7th which funny enough relates to Alan's profession.
    I had five level cervical stenosis, or spinal cord pinch. So to decompress my neck'sspinal cord I had a posterior multilevel laminoplasty. Out of commission for a while
    You can count me out for any surgery which Alan's profession entails. Best of luck on a speedy recovery John.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You can count me out for any surgery which Alan's profession entails. Best of luck on a speedy recovery John.
    But Brian, before I went into spinal surgery I worked in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery for 12 years. You know, augmentations, rhinoplasties, abdomenoplasties, liposuction. I'm sure I could still get you hooked up

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    But Brian, before I went into spinal surgery I worked in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery for 12 years. You know, augmentations, rhinoplasties, abdomenoplasties, liposuction. I'm sure I could still get you hooked up
    I'll keep that in mind.

Pics of the GLHS aluminum bumper with heat exchanger and Volvo oil cooler beneath as mocked up and then with minivan AC condenser. Rubber mounting brackets for radiator and AC condenser are in process, half done. Pics to follow.

Steel bumper weighs 28 pounds. Weight of aluminum bumper to follow.

Name:	Ramerati Bumper Install 003.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	59797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Bumper Install 003.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	964.3 KB 
ID:	59800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC Condenser  ..jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	957.6 KB 
ID:	59799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Bumper Install 015.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	59798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Bumper Install 030.JPG 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	59801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati Bumper Install 006.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	59803  

Last edited by johnl; 12-07-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Back in the day before kids and responsibilities I yarded A LOT! I musta grabbed 10 of those Al bumpers off early L bodies. Used a few, sold a few. Good old days when 80's Mopars were plentiful.

Garrett booster

I sure like the way you have set up the air/water IC. Nice clean install. You have me re-thinking my project. I was already scheming to get rid of the brake booster to clean up the firewall, which frees up lots of room above the transmission.

Well, with the low flat top of the 520, and by my measurements (but not tested by install yet, the IC can be tight to the block/head, fit under the "power bulge" of the hood and still leave room for the master cylinder.

Thanks for your compliments.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Garrett booster

I was kind of wondering about the height. Wasn't planning on using the power bulge hood, but I do have one.

Ill have to be patient and wait until you get it installed and see how it all fits.

Also Ill have to see if I can find an aluminum bumper support.

As you can see from the pics in posts 9 and 15, the top of the IC is not proud of the top of the Masi valve cover anyway, so I don't think the power bulge is necessary, at least with the little bit of extra clearance that the 520 allows. Also, the bottom of the IC is flush/tight to flat top of that transaxle.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

The awic in my in my Lebaron didn't come up any higher than the valve cover (8v).

Name:	20160214_103452.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	60039  
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Thanks Rob, and yours is over a 568.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Looking at the big F4/R5 thread inspired me to post pics of my big degree wheel and finding centerlines for the intake and exhaust cams with the help of the two beautiful adjustable cam gears that Todd 4 L Bodies, with a great deal of effort, shepherded through a group buy.

I made this degree wheel 40 years ago out of a stop sign. The large diameter makes it more accurate, or at least easier to read. The flat black paint makes a good soapstone chalk board.

Pics - blank wheel, TDC finder threaded on inside, dial indicator set up on a plate of steel bolted to the head, Todd's cam gears, and the wheel showing the two cams as set - Exhaust at 113* and Intake at 112.5*

Time flies, two years ago and the engine is still on the stand. Embarrassing.

Name:	Masi IM & Cam Timing 027.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	60809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi IM & Cam Timing 017.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	60808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi IM & Cam Timing 007.JPG 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	60807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi Cam Timing 003.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	60805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi Cam Timing 001.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	60804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi Cam Timing 006.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	60806  

John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast