Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramerati Reborn

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ramerati Reborn

Of the six TM's I own, the Ramerati is my favorite. It even stole my heart from my first love - the Sante Fe Springs Blue GLHT that I bought new in 1985 on the 5% interest, 5 year Note, 5 year/50000 mile warranty deal that Iacocca used as part of his resuscitation program.

Some pics. Going to track days, going fishing, and the T in the "Omega" at Big Willow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTE_StreetsWillow_6_26_10_301.JPG 
Views:	381 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	57363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gregor 7-5-11.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	57364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-29 & 30-08 Streets of Willow 018 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	57366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2569.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	57367  
    Last edited by johnl; 02-26-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Re: Ramerati Reborn

Here is a catalogue pic of the Godspeed SRT4 log manifold and a shot of the corner of the manifold with its spacer plate as fabricated by Boyd G.

The next pic is of the engine when I brought it home from Boyd's house after he machined his way around the problem of NS1 plain bearings for the lower end. He then adapted a Godspeed SRT4 log manifold to fit the Masi head by fabricating that spacer plate and used a few "Z bolts." The new manifold was "needed" (lol) because, the stock exhaust manifold's ISI turbo (and really the ISI's flange pattern/size) are choke points. While the Godspeed/SRT4 manifold's ports align, all the studs do not. Boyd also had to re-work the oil drainage from the center of the valve cover by drilling and tapping for new drain points at the corners of the valve box and then bending up new drain pipes and figuring out the fittings/connections. You can see one side's new drain pipe snaking around the corner of the new manifold.

Next I have the engine and transaxle on a home built stand, the point of which is that it holds both, in order to mock up the AWIC location and the extension of the IM neck. The IC had to be stepped out from the engine in order to get a clear sight to the timing window in the bell housing. Placing the IC on top of the transaxle works with a 520 because it has that notched out pad where the build date/gearing badge is placed.

Name:	Godspeed SRT4 manifold Turbo on top.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	57373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi A-W IC 014.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	57372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi A-W IC 007.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	57368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati 026.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	529.4 KB 
ID:	57369  
    Last edited by johnl; 02-26-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

Pics of fabrication of intake manifold extension. Lots of hand work, inside and out. Welded the extension to the manifold first and not to the throttle body flange so asto leave room for access to interior on the other side of the bend, and then after that was blended, welded on the flange that the throttle body bolts too, and then blended that part of the interior.

Also a pic of the bottom of the new bend and of one of the thermocouples I got with Acannel's dual thermocouple kit and smart readout/gauge so I will be able to report to you all the delta between the hot and the cool sides of this intercooler. See pic of thermocouple in hot side - turbo outlet.

Name:	dog & cat 030.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	57375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati AW - IC Progress 002.JPG 
Views:	294 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	57374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compressor Temp Sensor 001.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	57379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi A-W IC 020.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	57377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator Rubber Bushing 004.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	57378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masi IM & Cam Timing 001.JPG 
Views:	285 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	57376  

Last edited by johnl; 02-26-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Why not just make a connector pipe between the throttle body and AWIC? Seems like a lot of work to change the configuration of the intake when an elbow could have been built or bought more easily.

I like the adaptation of the SRT-4 exhaust manifold as oppose to building a one-off piece.

Hybrid booster

Dude, this project is friggin' awesome! Lots of very cool engineering going on and a very cool name and concept.

Thanks guys.

AJ the bend of the Masi IM neck points down at about 45* and it's turn is short of where it had to go. I need to post pics of a stock one next to this modded one and you will see.

Wastelands, thanks but credit for the name of this trucklet goes to someone else as the name preceded my purchase of it and it has been down for a few years
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Thanks guys.

AJ the bend of the Masi IM neck points down at about 45* and it's turn is short of where it had to go. I need to post pics of a stock one next to this modded one and you will see.

Wastelands, thanks but credit for the name of this trucklet goes to someone else as the name preceded my purchase of it and it has been down for a few years
    Dig it bro. A great name is a great name whoever comes up with it.

I used to think that intercoolers are supposed to be held in place with T-bolt clamps. lol

These pics show some overkill bracketry but as they say "that thing aint going nowhere."

First pic is at the top rear, third is rear lower near trans cable bracket and starter, fourth is front lower near clutch lever, fifth is another of that top rear bracket that ties the rear of the IC to one of the compressor's face bolts, and sixth shows two bolt bosses. There are two more similar bolt bosses welded to the bottom that connect to a steel girdle bracket that wraps around and bolts to that little square box that's part of a 520's bell housing.
    I shouldn't have any hoses popping off.

The second pic is of the BOV and its welded on flange; shows the welding warpage that I had to cure with a mill file.

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 006.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	57382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 015.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	57385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 010.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	57384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 009.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	57383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 004.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	57381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Bracketry 001.JPG 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	57380  

Last edited by johnl; 02-26-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Another pic of the warped BOV flange, test set up to compare performance of two AWIC coolant pump, and notes on results of that testing.

I compared the Bosch AWIC pump that comes on all the supercharged Fords to a smaller lighter cheaper Chinese 3 phase pump and concluded that in terms of performance they were comparable. I've installed the Chinese pump because, being three phase, it draws less power. Also, it is quieter, and its size and barb's configurations fit the place I wanted to put it better.

Both pumps moved 8 gallons of water through the IC and exchanger in 1 minute and as for "head" both would throw a stream of water 15" above the end of a 6' vertical section of 3/4" heater hose. The water just flies through that clear vinyl hose, it must just "scrub" the inside of the tubes of those two heat exchangers.

Can I post a .mov file here? as I have video of the water flying through the inside that vinyl hose.

Name:	Polk Water 013.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	57386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 030.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	57387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Test 002.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	57388  
    Last edited by johnl; 02-26-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I knew I hadn't seen Ramerati in a long while but didn't know it was getting a complete rethink. Good on you

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

subscribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Love it.

turbo addict

Looking good John! Nice to see progress is being made on the Ramerati. Between talking to the late great Dave G.and Charlie W & Rick D (16V engine) about this vehicle at length, I feel I know it pretty well. As I think I've told you before, that one almost wound up in my garage twice. Once to fix issues Charlie was having trouble sorting out, and another time when Charlie wanted to sell it. Looks like nice fabrication work it deserves is going into it. When I welded a BOV flange to the cast end tanks of the intercooler on Quacks Masi GLHS the same thing happened. Made a mental note many years ago, note to self, drill hole AFTER welding flange to end tank (lol).
    Todd

Thanks Todd. Dreaming about . . . . maybe SDAC ?!?

Here's some pics relating to the Ford heat exchanger that fits inside a '87 GLHS aluminum bumper which will replace the stock steel bumper. The aluminum is fab friendly in that it easily drills/taps for mounting the fans, pump, etc.

Pics show:

1. the thermocouple (with internal relay) that will sample IC coolant temp and that I have pre-set to switch on the heat exchanger's two motorcycle fans at 100*F; I tapped into the side of the IC's hot side water box for a 1/8" NPT compression fitting that works with that thermocouple probe.

2. the bumper (upside down) with the turbo Volvo oil cooler that hangs below the bumper, and

3. the two fans, each from a Kawasaki KX500 twin, that fit nicely inside the bumper.

Name:	Temperature Control 001.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	524.5 KB 
ID:	57420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramperati Oil Cooler 001.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	57421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual Ht Exchanger Fans.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	57422  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Pics of:

Heat shield for power steering pump

Adapter from 1/2" British Parallel Pipe thread (of Volvo oil cooler- go figure?!) to 1/2" Push Lock 90* elbow fitting in 37* JIC

Pleated air filter idea, vs

T1 type (85 GHLT) air box idea

3 phase pump mounted to bumper, at low point of system to ensure priming.

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 037.JPG 
Views:	350 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	57426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 009.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	57423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 022.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	57425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 019.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	57424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rampage Bumper Coolers 041.JPG 
Views:	334 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	57427  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Pics of

Oil cooler hoses with JIC fittings and pinch clamps, and

IM neck/elbow extension as completed.

Name:	Ramerati - Engine Harness 005.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	57429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramerati - Engine Harness 002.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	57428  
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

turbo addict

Gotta love me some Masi power! I'm thinking of doing a WAIC on mine, too.

turbo addict

Wow! That modded intake looks GREAT! Can't even tell it was modified. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Looking good John! Nice to see progress is being made on the Ramerati. Between talking to the late great Dave G.and Charlie W & Rick D (16V engine) about this vehicle at length, I feel I know it pretty well. As I think I've told you before, that one almost wound up in my garage twice. Once to fix issues Charlie was having trouble sorting out, and another time when Charlie wanted to sell it. Looks like nice fabrication work it deserves is going into it. When I welded a BOV flange to the cast end tanks of the intercooler on Quacks Masi GLHS the same thing happened. Made a mental note many years ago, note to self, drill hole AFTER welding flange to end tank (lol).
    Todd
    Thanks Todd; a lot of thought, money, and effort went into that build and after I figured out how to deal with the issues that, after Dave's passing, Charlie had, the trucklet gave me a lot of satisfaction and pride of ownership.

The biggest puzzle was the MAP sensor code, 13 or 37 or some such, if I recall correctly, that the car kept throwing. It turned out that there is a good reason for vacuum take off barbs to NOT be on the floor of the intake manifold; a slight amount of oil from the turbo would condense on the floor and drain down into the MAP vacuum line and make its way to the MAP sensor and foul it. The fix was, what else? - JB weld. I drilled out the inside of the 3/8" NPT vacuum barb to accept a piece of thin wall steel tubing (a piece of a golf club shaft), the open end of which then stood 1" above the floor of the intake manifold. With that stand pipe any oil on the floor of the manifold went into the engine instead of into the MAP sensor.

I would appreciate any recollections you might have concerning the car's build or history.

For instance, there was a piece of square tubing that was welded to the front motor mount and it ran back to and was bolted to the K frame, which tied the two together. I was forced to cut it off when I had to do something since it was welded, not bolted, to the front mount. Do you know what the theory or purpose of that was?
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Not sure if this was ever confirmed John but I had heard that Charlie is a really tall dude so Dave G. cut the floorpan out where the seats bolt up and lowered them an inch of so. Thus adding that amount of headroom...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast