Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monroe Formula GP

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Monroe Formula GP

Does anyone have a list of the cars that were issued Formula GP shocks and struts from the factory, and the part numbers for said shocks and struts?

Thanks in advance.

turbo addict

Re: Monroe Formula GP

87 Shelby Lancer
    89 Shelby CSX

https://books.google.com/books?id=AG...ormula&f=false

You'll be better off buying Rich's BC stuff. Yes, more expensive, but it is at least available.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 02-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sachs makes shocks and struts that are head and shoulders above anything Monroe ever made. They are OEM for Porsche and are not too pricey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    87 Shelby Lancer
    89 Shelby CSX

https://books.google.com/books?id=AG...ormula&f=false

You'll be better off buying Rich's BC stuff. Yes, more expensive, but it is at least available.
    Correction/Addition, the 87 CSX had the Formula GPs also.

But +1 on Rich's stuff...the BC coilovers are much better.
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

That's all well and good, and I understand. But let's say someone were restoring a given car to as close to factory original as possible, or is trying to keep a clean original car in such condition and needs replacement parts. For example, my GLHS will be getting factory issued reconditioned Konis, regardless of what better options may be available.

And yes, the '88 CSXT had them as well, so all three years of CSX had them. I'm just trying to research what other cars had them from the factory, and the part numbers for each. Ultimately the thought of buying new ones is moot, as they have been discontinued for many years.

Unless . . .

turbo addict

Shocks.

shelbymotorsports on eBay had the Formula GP shocks for sale for $80 a pair for the longest time and one day he went mad and set them with a ridiculous low clearance price. I got his last three sets for under $85 shipped and sold them for a profit. Someone somewhere have a pair of NOS shocks. Make a WTB:

No idea on struts.

I'm not trying to buy some. I work for the company that made them. I'm trying to see if the tooling still exists for a short production run, and if there's even enough interest to bother. But I need to have some part numbers to give them to look up.

But judging by this thread, I'm guessing the interest won't be there.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I'm not trying to buy some. I work for the company that made them. I'm trying to see if the tooling still exists for a short production run, and if there's even enough interest to bother. But I need to have some part numbers to give them to look up.

But judging by this thread, I'm guessing the interest won't be there.
    That's cool if it is possible. I'm sure there would be some interest as they were actually very good struts/shocks and many CSX/Lancer (and other body cars) owners that want good performance but don't race or want to upset originality. Keep in mind those struts/shocks apply to most 1984-1994 AA,E,G,H,J,K,P cars

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Looking up various body styles on Monroe's website (H, G, P, AA), they show different part numbers for each. So I'm not sure how well they interchange, which is why I posted this thread. I'd love something better for my Daytona (which currently has Sensatracs because the GR-2s frankly SUCKED), but if something like this were to happen I'm thinking the P-bodies would be the best bet. But if they truly do interchange with other bodies then all the better. I don't even know if something like this is possible, but I'll need a list of part numbers before I propose it to my contacts.

Thanks for the info on the shocks, tryingbe, but without info for the matching struts I can't go forward.

turbo addict

turbo addict

At one time I was contemplating buying up pallets of Formula GP struts and shocks. Some company had warehoused them and finally wanted to unload them, In addition to all the Shelby applications they had other Dodge applications including the GLH, and Pontiac stock (GT turbo Sunbird and Fiero and T/A IIRC). I still have a set of NOS L-body Formula GP struts. That is probably how Steve Thorton ended up with them. I have, or had all the part #'s for them at one time. Not too many years ago after a few phone calls I found someone at Monroe that still had an old catalog with all the part #'s for all the applications. I'll try to look to see if I still have that info. Cross your fingers...
    The Formula GP's were a very good mono tube shock. The eyelet made out of polyurethane was not a wise choice though. That was probably why many were removed off of the Shelby cars. The poly would not hold up and became brittle. The NOS stock that Steve had, all suffered from failed poly. I could use my fingernail and take hunks out of the poly. I remember one of the guys from MN, put them on his NY'er and the poly was pounded out in a day or two.
    Quality was probably on par with the KYB gas-a-just mono tube shock. IMO, WAY better than the twin tube junk that is currently available for our applications.
    Todd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I wish there was an option between all out expensive and the latest Gr2 junk. Tired of responses from people who don't actually daily drive these cars anymore. I have 2 dailys that don't need top of the line
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

My GLHS had GPs on it, I always thought it handled well. My favorited car was always my CSXT, which still had the GPs on it.

Hybrid booster

Johnny has bushings that you can get to replace the polyurethane that WILL fail. There is a thread someplace with the part number.

turbo addict

Okay,
    Looked through some notes I had and it looks like I only have part #'s for the rear. As Harry stated, the CSX, lancer, Lebaron, P-body, etc. was #24032, I have a different listing for G-bodies #24064. L-body GLH specific was #24099, and another 4 dr L-body (exc. GLH) #24098. My notes say this last # was valved differently than GLH shock. I'll keep looking for more notes. My notes also stated quantities that the warehouse was trying to unload (in my previous post). Just the rear Dodge applications amounted to around 1,420 rear shocks! I do remember they were selling the pallets really cheap.
    Todd
    BTW my CSX-T still sports it's original Fomula GP struts. Car is in storage currently, but I'll make a note to look for a part # on them when it comes out of storage.

Hybrid booster

I have a set of 2 door Shelby charger L body formula GPs. Part numbers:
    Front: 29067
    Rear: 24098

Thanks Devo

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Okay,
    Looked through some notes I had and it looks like I only have part #'s for the rear. As Harry stated, the CSX, lancer, Lebaron, P-body, etc. was #24032, I have a different listing for G-bodies #24064. L-body GLH specific was #24099, and another 4 dr L-body (exc. GLH) #24098. My notes say this last # was valved differently than GLH shock. I'll keep looking for more notes. My notes also stated quantities that the warehouse was trying to unload (in my previous post). Just the rear Dodge applications amounted to around 1,420 rear shocks! I do remember they were selling the pallets really cheap.
    Todd
    BTW my CSX-T still sports it's original Fomula GP struts. Car is in storage currently, but I'll make a note to look for a part # on them when it comes out of storage.
    Do you happen to know what company owns this warehouse?

Hybrid booster

i have the original box for the fronts for a daytona but theres no part numbers marked anywhere on it

turbo addict

[QUOTE=supercrackerbox;1102102 Do you happen to know what company owns this warehouse?[/QUOTE]
    No. They were unloaded years ago. To tell you the truth I can't even remember how I originally found out about the warehouse that was trying to liquidate. They were a liquidator and not necessarily an auto warehouse. IIRC, they had all kinds of misc. stuff to unload. I probably would have bought all the Dodge applications, but they would not split up the shocks and struts. So if you wanted any of it, you bought it all.
    Todd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I already have a set of Rich's BC coil overs for my Shelby Lancer, but I would still buy a brand new set of Formula HP shocks and struts if they became available for once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast