Thread: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement '89 LS

Hybrid booster

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement '89 LS

Hey guys,

along with some suspension parts I decided to throw a couple National brand front wheel bearings on my order form RockAuto as they were on a closeout for 11 bucks each and it seemed like the time to pounce.

It looks like if I have "press in" bearings, then it would honestly be better to buy a hub/bearing assembly rather than dealing with shop charges and all the extra work to disassemble my front end.

However, if mine are the "bolt on" style then I should be fine. I work full time and haven't had a chance to run out to my dad's shop and consult my Chiltons repair manual.

Does anyone know which style a 1989 Lancer Shelby would be fitted with?
    I'm considering returning the bearings and getting some hub assemblies if it's going to be too much of a hassle.

Thanks guys!
    Zach

Hybrid booster

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement '89 LS

Checking my favorite online seller, Moog has the assembly for 15 bucks each and SKF for 30 each right now. Pretty attractive prices for those manufacturers.

I'm fairly certain 89 and up have the bolt-in style, unless they never changed it from 87, which I doubt. Andy from WI would know, as would MANY MANY others on here. I'm running 91+ hubs and they are bolt in, which makes life a WHOLE lot easier when pulling axles or bearings.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The 89-90 'big brakes' are also the bolt in hub variety or so I have heard around here.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The 89-90 'big brakes' are also the bolt in hub variety or so I have heard around here.
    Yes. It was the big brake cars which first got the bolt in hub bearing assy. All the cars got them when the stamped arms came in for 91. Given the option, I would take a set of later knuckles with the bolt in hubs. They can be fitted with big brakes quite easily, and the geometry is a little better. Couple that with the bolt in hubs and you've got a real winner.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    +1
    My 89 Daytona ES has 4 wheel discs, but they aren't the big brakes, and the bearings are press in...